Confusion reigns as Thai PM announces end of quarantine and alcohol restart "spoiler"

webfact

I think the most interesting thing mentioned in this op. is that the PM is admitting Thailand is hurting and  cannot go through another High season closed. 
we've seen the dismal govt support for the working class.   the invisible workers were shined even though they are more of a financial driver and who attract many visitors, even families and many couples can be seen walking down the seedy streets each evening and how many legitimate jobs does this support?  they can't admit this because the p word doesn't exist.

It's a chicken or egg first thing.  Who enjoys an empty, restaurant,bar,or market?  I admit many of the tourist attractions must be a nicer visit without the 40 m/yr tourist mobs.   

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, candide said:

Lol! The mere idea of having cititizen voting for or against Prayut is complete science fiction! Prayut doesn't need to be elected in order to remain PM. He can play again the "unelected PM" card, thanks to the Senate which members have been appointed by him.

I think the constitutional court will kick that idea into touch, trouble is then the replacement, unless they really do have free & fair elections 55555

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

That just about sums up Prayut's verbal garbage.

(this not addressed to you personally)

I object to the statement "About as cloudy as a Pernod and water." A milky-cloudy glass of Pernod + water + ice cubes is a dxxn nice thing, especially when sitting in the shade in a sunny afternoon!

17 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

What if you are coming from the UK for example but do not have a UK passport? Lets say its Indonesian, you are coming from the approved list of 10 countries but not on the approved passport list? So even though you have had the double jab and are coming from the UK can you still avoid quarantine?

A little early for what-ifs at the moment, details to be resolved. Approved passport list, if that is what will be implemented, is quite clear. You highlight an important detail.... 

41 minutes ago, Almer said:

The vax helps to stop you getting really sick, but dosnt stop you catching and spreading the virus, possibly to somebody who will get really sick.

To be clear, the vaccine makes you up to 10 times less likely to be infected. If you aren't infected, you can't spread the virus. 

22 hours ago, internationalism said:

there is no way anywhere in the world now that your travel won't come to abrupt stop and serious problems.

Anybody can get infected in the airport, on the plane. 

Getting insurance sorts out financial burden. Lost time, up to 14 days, has to be calculated. 

You appear to be under the misapprehension that being asymptomatic and positive will trigger your insurance to pay for expensive hospitel. Read the small print- it covers only essential medical needs,not effectively your quarantine.

12 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

He is just dangling a carrot to sucker tourists to make plans and come. Than pull the rug out from under them and say thanks for coming,  but no fun for you . Enjoy your noodles and som tum 5555

Or cancel last minute, and... "Sorry, no refunds for your hotel and tour bookings..."

14 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Mexico didn't "deal" with anything. I'm not sure where it stands now but Mexico was recently the most obese country in the world. That's the reason they're having  a bad time with COVID.

You seem unfamiliar with the concept of excess mortality.

The number of deaths in Mexico has skyrocketed as Mexico failed to deal with the epidemic.

39 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

To be clear, the vaccine makes you up to 10 times less likely to be infected. If you aren't infected, you can't spread the virus. 

Are you going to provide the links for your posts too, or do you just ask others for their posts?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

He is just dangling a carrot to sucker tourists to make plans and come. Than pull the rug out from under them and say thanks for coming,  but no fun for you . Enjoy your noodles and som tum 5555

That would be hilarious.

28 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Are you going to provide the links for your posts too, or do you just ask others for their posts?

Been posted here 1,000 times. 

https://www.who.int/news-room/feature-stories/detail/the-moderna-covid-19-mrna-1273-vaccine-what-you-need-to-know?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgYuhp6_G8wIVyH4rCh0Lfgl5EAAYASAAEgJF4_D_BwE

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

That maybe so, but still worth doing what you are asking others to do otherwise it makes you look slightly hypocritical. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

That maybe so, but still worth doing what you are asking others to do otherwise it makes you look slightly hypocritical. 

The poster was claiming ineffectiveness of vaccines, contrary to established science. I asked them to prove their assertion. 

Thank you for your concern, but if someone here attacks life saving vaccines, I am not too concerned about having to prove established science. 

The fact that the poster has no response speaks volumes. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You seem unfamiliar with the concept of excess mortality.

The number of deaths in Mexico has skyrocketed as Mexico failed to deal with the epidemic.

If he thinks the massive death rate in Mexico is just down to obesity then he is unfamiliar with any concept of covid measures and the lack of in that country

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cheapcanuck said:

They say ten countries but only mentioned about 5. What is the full list of the 10 countries?

judging by what the 5 first countries are, I would guess the other countries are:

South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Switzerland, France, Italy, Canada, Australia, and maybe Sweden.

That's 5.

Well, the prime minister says it's 5 under the emergency decree.

Gen Prayut said in a nationally televised broadcast that fully vaccinated tourists from at least 10 low-risk countries would be allowed to enter Thailand by air with no quarantine requirements.

Edited by tgw

On 10/12/2021 at 8:47 AM, internationalism said:

bad, as if your test turned positive in departure city. Won't allowed to board, self-isolation. 

That's why insurance is for. 

If asymptomatic it is hospital or rather hospitel (closed hotel with medical personel and equipment). I don't think there would be much space in hospitals for the next half year.

That's the risk everybody is aware of and should be prepared for.

That's why getting insurance for 1 year would allow multiple trips and flexibility in travelling, without paying high premium each time and waiting 14 days delay to activate policy

An alternative if travelers are also avid gamblers and well-heeled. Not worth the risk of time and money for most I suspect. Certainly not how I would risk my precious few weeks of annual vacation if I was still working.

• Like 1