TAT boss: quarantine remains for 1 day to test all visitors, no going back to old tourism pub scenes

webfact

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

The Japanese clubs were the same on Soi 33 some had a sign on the door "Japanese customers only"

I believe Ban Chang had one before and it was purely based on $$$$$$$. Been told when it closed the 'hostesses' just moved to the strip.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Are you aware of why wealthy tourists AVOID Thailand? Here are just a few things you could do, or suggest, if you were a serious man.

1. Get rid of Anutin and submit your own resignation, Prayuth. You are an abomination. You are two of the least competent ministers in this hapless administration. You and A need to be replaced with talented people who have real experience in their fields and creative minds. Less xenophobia helps too.

2. Lower luxury taxes to 20%. This would help Thailand to attract some wealthy tourists again. Most wealthy people love to spend real money while on vacation. Contrary to what you think, wealthy foreigners are NOT dumb. They do not enjoy paying for stunningly over priced items, and will wait for their next trip to London, Hong Kong, Singapore, New York, Nassau, or Dubai to buy a handbag at what it should cost, rather than what you think foolish people will pay.

3. Improve traffic safety.
4. Improve immigration service.
5. Get rid of the toxic army.
6. Address corruption.
7. Pay attention to air quality.
8. Stop treating tourists like dogs. This applies to the govt., not the people.

That is just a start. I could go on for days. Do not expect the wealthy tourists to return. They come here once, if they come at all. And they do not return for a dozen good reasons like the lack of top quality service, expertise, shopping, English skills, sommelier service, fairly priced world class wine, high standard F & B, and the list goes on.

The problems what existed long before Covid are NOT being addressed. At a minimum:
the unwillingness to tackle the scams, and corruption in general.
the traffic and public safety issues.
the lack of a competent and effective police force, that foreigners can count on, when they need them.
the environmental issues, and so many other causes, are all having an impact on tourism.
the inept military government, who nobody likes, and most people despise.
haphazard and xenophobic immigration policy, meant to deter tourism, and ex-pats, rather than encourage them.
racist ranting from the government, often directed at tourists and ex-pats and a nonsensical nationalistic agenda, that is pure politics.

The decision to turn away from Western tourism, and focus almost exclusively on lower to lower middle income Chinese, Malaysian and Indian tourism (86% of total tourism in 2019) was a mistake of historically monumental proportions. The TAT is barely making any effort to lure Westerners. And in my opinion they are the big spenders. I read surveys about the average Chinese tourists, being at the top of the list of big spenders. But, this is average. And the big spending Chinese do not come to Thailand for a dozen different reasons. The wife wants to buy a luxury handbag. The same Gucci bag that she likes is $3,500 in Singapore, London, New York, Paris, Hong Kong, or Dubai. In Bangkok that bag sells for $9,000.

At a five star hotel, this same wealthy Chinese couple want a great bottle of wine. They see a good vintage of Domaine Coche-Dury Monthelie, which would sell for about $500 retail, at a five star in many of the major cities for $1,000 on the list. The same bottle, if it was available (highly unlikely) in Bangkok, would be 100,000 baht, or more. And if it was available would the hotel have a sommelier who was qualified and fluent enough, to explain the wine, and the various vintages available? I have not found that in the past here. I have been to high end restaurants where they knew nothing about the expensive wines on the list! Nothing! The lack of expertise here is a big factor in discouraging wealthy tourists who come here, from returning ever again.

Most wealthy people tend to be smart with their money. They simply will not pay stupid money for stuff. The ultra rich are different. But, no ultra rich people would even consider Thailand as a destination, unless they had work here. The luxury taxes have been discouraging high end tourism here for decades. It is policy that is so dumb, so shortsighted, so non-visionary, and it badly hurts the economy. If wine duty was 100%, you would have a thriving wine industry here, five to ten times the size of the current industry. So the state income would be made up on volume, and hundreds of thousands of jobs would be generated. Instead the protection of a few local wineries continues, due to some politicians passing the anti import wine bill years ago, and accepting the payoffs that came with that braindead decision.

Sure, the neighboring countries are benefitting from all of the mistakes Thailand is making. But, they are also trying much harder, and are far smarter with their policies. They deserve the gains. These are simply more examples of brain dead leaders, who have no vision, and are NOT leading the nation forward, are not helping the nation to progress, and are not benefitting the people of Thailand.

Most , if not all of your points are valid , however as I said in my post earlier we will never understand the Thai way of doing things . Your comments come from a westerners perspective and that is my point . You know as well as I know , you cannot apply western logic here in Thailand . I also think that there is a puppeteer in the background who is a major influence on Thailand's future  and I will go so far as to say that the whole of Asia will be affected sooner or later . Indeed your listings are comprehensive but just from the lack of care to address some of the items , just shows what consideration they have about us westerners  .

• Like 2

Just now, spidermike007 said:

I agree with what you are saying. But, I will go a step further, and say I hope in this lifetime, I never learn to understand the Thai perspective. It is a rabbit hole I am not interested in climbing into. Is it a complete lack of logic and common sense? It seems that way to us, but I am sure it is deeper than that. 

Yes the medical term is genetic malfunction.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, KhruGin said:

So the quality tourists come to LOS, quality dad, quality mom, and two quality kids. End of the day after doing quality things like visiting temples, going to the beach, buying designer goods in a quality mall, eating at a quality restaurant ..guess what, quality dad would like a beer or even an XO brandy if he's proper quality ..and yet he can't . Keep on dreaming TAT for that big rush of high end quality tourists coming on November 1st.

As a side note: It was the dirty farang backpacker all those years ago that built up the potential for what we see now and laughably what the TAT hope for too ..guess that's all forgotten eh.  

Strike off buying designer clothes at the mall. Few foreigners have an appetite to pay double or triple what they would pay back home, no matter how much money they have. Just another nail in the coffin of Thai tourism caused by stunning ignorance, a total lack of vision, and greed. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't put it past them to be playing a game. Tell everyone it is ok to come, no quarantine and everyone books. Thailand makes money on the bookings and they will just then do their best to persuade you to come and spend more money you were supposed to not have to spend or they will persuade you to just keep on changing the date of your booking so they can keep the money you already spent. I wouldn't put it past them.

• Confused 1

On 10/14/2021 at 9:50 PM, soi3eddie said:

Good luck with that. With European destinations in summer, Dubai and Carribean in winter then there are plenty of other family/luxury/value options closer to home. Thailand is an exotic place that had thrived for decades on the mix of hedonism, freedom and lax implementation of rules. Make it difficult, expensive and less fun then many will simply seek alternative destinations. Maybe he's only got the Chinese or Indians in mind so let's see how that goes.

I'm not going to Thailand on holiday as I live there so I don't know what difference this will make to tourists but things can change so quickly and announcements are made by all sorts of officials which are then contradicted. 

You mention lax implimentation of rules so even if there are rules stopping crowded bars and nightclubs and I've no idea how they will word those rules, will they be implimented? If it's as rigorous as other rules such as wearing a helmet on a bike I doubt anyone will notice.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, kimamey said:

I'm not going to Thailand on holiday as I live there so I don't know what difference this will make to tourists but things can change so quickly and announcements are made by all sorts of officials which are then contradicted. 

You mention lax implimentation of rules so even if there are rules stopping crowded bars and nightclubs and I've no idea how they will word those rules, will they be implimented? If it's as rigorous as other rules such as wearing a helmet on a bike I doubt anyone will notice.

And, who will actually enforce the new rules?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

So they don't want the tourists back then?

That sort of sentiment is very much outdated in a global world. Thailand has tried to be for Thai's and failed would be a better motto.

Just look around at neighbouring countries - Thailand may well be further down the development route than some but in my opinion, its stalled and others are fast catching up. One is way ahead - Singapore.

'Thailand is for Thai's' - taught in schools and practised by the government will ultimately be the country's downfall - you can't have your cake and eat it.  Where's the cash going to come from for continued development - China?  Thailand needs to learn very quickly that those Chinese loans and investments come with many strings - ropes actually.

I had a couple of days in Vietnam last year and was impressed.  I'll be back there before to long to find out if the islands south and west of Ho Chi Minh are as beautiful as they look in the photos. Others will no doubt be similarily impressed.

There's a strong possibility that Covid 19 marks a point where travellers look elsewhere - if Thailand doesn't change its attitude, it will lose out.

Ho Chi Minh is so much cooler and quirkier than Bangkok. We literally keep on going just to cruise around, drink coffees and smoke cigarettes (Only place we smoke). The food, the awesome people, wicked niche architecture and boutique hotels, the ability to smoke weed, the road trips, the beaches, the hiking....the list goes on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I agree with what you are saying. But, I will go a step further, and say I hope in this lifetime, I never learn to understand the Thai perspective. It is a rabbit hole I am not interested in climbing into. Is it a complete lack of logic and common sense? It seems that way to us, but I am sure it is deeper than that. 

Don't you mean to say: Western logic and Western common sense [whatever that is]?? All of which, has nothing to do with anything. 

You might give it another shot without the deluded and false superlatives/comparatives. 

Though, I suspect this attempt would lead to failure again. 

Ho hum....

24 minutes ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

Ho Chi Minh is so much cooler and quirkier than Bangkok. We literally keep on going just to cruise around, drink coffees and smoke cigarettes (Only place we smoke). The food, the awesome people, wicked niche architecture and boutique hotels, the ability to smoke weed, the road trips, the beaches, the hiking....the list goes on.

Even during war time, Saigon was more fashionable and "cooler".

• Like 2

On 10/15/2021 at 1:54 AM, Boomer6969 said:

The dummy has just forgotten one minor aspect, how can you travel to and within Thailand with kids under 12? This is my situation, while I am living in Thailand and fully vaccinated (Janssen + Moderna) I can't even consider domestic travel with my two girls, 6 and 10 years old.

Otherwise his statement is rather reasonable. The one day quarantine is a must as otherwise people would have to wait for their results at the airport. The reorientation of Thai tourism away from sex, alcohol and drugs would be a legitimate move too and there will be enough Chinese and Indians..

There will not be enough hotel rooms in quarantine hotels to cater to the influx.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

I cannot get my head around one issue. If everyone has to do a 1 day quarantine and thousands of people turn up, how are they going to be enough hotel rooms in quarantine hotels? I am pretty sure the vast majority of the hotels are not quarantine hotels as the the influx of tourists or non-immi's has been so low due to people staying away from the 7/10/14 day quarantine factor. So you might have a situation where people want to travel and will accept the 1 day quarantine but that there will not be another rooms to cater to the demand. Ridiculous.

+ I have no idea why non-immi's with houses cannot just self-quarantine at home. Ridiculous

On my 15 trips to Thailand I never ever paid for a hotel in advance.  I always want to see the hotel and room first.  Sometimes you get a room next to the elevator and that ding dong bell rings all night.  Or the room overlooks the main street with noise all night long.  The beauty and initial attraction of Thailand was always the ease and flexibility to look things over. I have seen or heard of many scams in my days since 2004.  One night forced stay is not a deal breaker, but sure is an inconvenience and an  extra cost. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

I wouldn't put it past them to be playing a game. Tell everyone it is ok to come, no quarantine and everyone books. Thailand makes money on the bookings and they will just then do their best to persuade you to come and spend more money you were supposed to not have to spend or they will persuade you to just keep on changing the date of your booking so they can keep the money you already spent. I wouldn't put it past them.

Nah, you credit them with being far too clever.  Up to now, it would be a fair guess that a good proportion of the 'tourists' who've endured the different forms of quarantine were not actually tourists, they were people with connections to Thailand and once they finished their sentence they headed home to their existing Thai abode. The real tourists have not been attracted by the various schemes so far - as evidenced by the very low numbers partaking of the Phuket Sandbox failure.

They seem to have worked that one out - not difficult to count arrivals really. When I say you credit them with being far too clever - you have to remember that they are targeting real 'tourists' and those tourists will have to stay in a hotel in any case. Whether its a quarantine hotel or not, they need to stay somewhere so I don't think this is some cunning plan to fill the hotels and then keep you there.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 7:54 AM, Boomer6969 said:

The dummy has just forgotten one minor aspect, how can you travel to and within Thailand with kids under 12? This is my situation, while I am living in Thailand and fully vaccinated (Janssen + Moderna) I can't even consider domestic travel with my two girls, 6 and 10 years old.

Otherwise his statement is rather reasonable. The one day quarantine is a must as otherwise people would have to wait for their results at the airport. The reorientation of Thai tourism away from sex, alcohol and drugs would be a legitimate move too and there will be enough Chinese and Indians..

Why can.t you travel domestically with your 2 daughters, have a 6 year old daughter and have flew 2 times since September when it opened with no issues.

• Like 1

So is he going knock down the pubs ...build 5 star hotels ..build kiddies theme parks ...probably yes all done by middle next year and while he's at it just fix the pavements floods abandoned buildings. Hey do that 1st  ...there's a  list mile long ..he's probably got pink elephants lined up ..and few pixies..

6 hours ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

There will not be enough hotel rooms in quarantine hotels to cater to the influx.

Agreed....and that may not be the eventual plan.  Front page of Bangkok Post has a story saying that the government intends to set up "swab hubs" for tourists (I swear, I'm not making this up) across Bangkok.  The story likened it to Phuket which, apparently, had PCR tests set up at hotel check-in.....?  Dunno.  

Story is pretty vague on details, as usual, so I guess we wait to see.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

+ I have no idea why non-immi's with houses cannot just self-quarantine at home. Ridiculous

That would not be a quarantine at all, and even I see why they should not treat one group of arrivals differently. They just want to uncover any positives with a test before letting them run around. The reason is the same as before.....

• Like 2