TAT boss: quarantine remains for 1 day to test all visitors, no going back to old tourism pub scenes

webfact

5 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

You forgot to add that the new easier "Thailand Pass" is exactly the same as the old COE, amazing Thailand

Screenshot_20211017-112005_Chrome.jpg

Whoops! 

And there clever sleight-of-hand isn't even clever.

Expect a modification when ever they get around to it.

Edited by zzaa09
  • Like 2

On 10/15/2021 at 4:36 AM, ukrules said:

He just announced the death of Tourism in Thailand. It's over.

He's far too dumb to realise it just yet but that realisation will come, probably some time in January 2022 once everyone who's conned into coming here realises that it's one of the worst places to go for their winter trip.

RIP, final nail, etc, etc.

Nope

Think about it - to enforce some sort of "ban on fun" for tourists - they would have to do the same for Thais.

It would have to include some sort of ban on bars and clubs countrywide. That means closing down a lot of businesses.

There is zero chance of this happening.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Nope

Think about it - to enforce some sort of "ban on fun" for tourists - they would have to do the same for Thais.

It would have to include some sort of ban on bars and clubs countrywide. That means closing down a lot of businesses.

There is zero chance of this happening.

What planet are you on, the're all closed already? 

Edited by aussiexpat

"he also suggested that there was no going back to the former tourism market with busy nightlife scenes as Thailand seeks a new tourism following." 

????  ????  ????  ????  ???? ????  Good luck with that, it has been noted on this forum over and over, they try the above, and they will fail - miserably.    If they are looking for high spending shoppers from other countries, they will be hard to find.  The goods they sell in the HISO stores are all imported and taxed heavily..........and how many tourists actually turn the paperwork in for VAT refund before exiting the country................thats another story altogether, I am sure we all have horror stories on VAT refund at Swampy.   Just sayin

On 10/14/2021 at 9:16 PM, kiwikeith said:

If America had to fight another war in Cambodia, or Laos, Vietnam, R and R could save Nana.

Oh but they have Cobra Gold back full strength = so the ships will anchor off shore, troops will be ferried to the pier, where the Tour Busses wait to carry them all to Bangkok.  ????  ????  ????  ????

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have never been much of a fan of Vietnam, but Thailand has always lacked the "cool" factor. There are a small percent of the youth that are bordering on hip, but the nation has always lacked that kind of character, been way too conventional, square, conservative, and thinking outside of the box is discouraged on nearly every level. And that does not seem to be changing. 

Thailand is odd, different, bizarre, and strange, but not quirky. 

Spot on Mike. I found that even Indonesia and Indonesians are more quirky then Thai's. Indonesian art is awesome.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

A better solution would to invest in rapid test kits [as in: 5 min result]. But, that might be too logical and expensive. 

As it stands today with the new opening requirements and the forced waiting/quarantine for such test results, they're never gonna be able to organize it efficiently. Appears as another well intentioned but ill prepared Thai clusterphuck. 

I can just see the numerous problem that will arise.

There was a report in The UK recently which showed the lateral flow tests to actually be more accurate than previously thought. I think a lateral flow and a PCR test at the airport would work. If the flow is negative you can go home and again a show of good faith would be needed for people to self isolate until they have their negative PCR test result.

Edited by bangkokbonecollector

17 hours ago, Prince77 said:

A statement that is raising more questions than answers should not be considered a statement but just "a move of hot air".

Exactly, hot air is all it is and if you think about it, its quite normal for Thai governments.  As we are all, no doubt, tired of the announcements and counter announcements that have been spouted since the Pandemic began, should we be?  Or should we have learned a long time ago to simply ignore them?

Take Road Safety for example - Pre-Covid the Thai government were constantly trying to look like they really cared about the country's hideous road safety record.  Announcements were made after the carnage every Songkran or major accident - this was going to be done ot that law was going to be introduced.  Did they happen? 

Remember the major accident in Chantaburi province between a minivan and a pick up truck - both loaded with passengers? I believe 25 were killed.  People sitting in the back of pick up trucks was going to be banned and minivans would not be allowed to travel inter-province (quite what good the latter would do, I know not).  Have either of those measures been introduced?  I believe the pick up thing was briefly and then abandoned or watered down because of protests from 'poor farmers'.  Whatever, you will still see pick ups full of people and mini vans still travel all across the country.

Another more recent one was the big bike licence which would require the rider to have experience or take a different form of test before being licensed to ride a bike over 400cc.  I believe that was scheduled to happen in February 2020 - still nothing.

Most Thai governments that I've seen have spouted claptrap but this one is probably the worst.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2

On 10/16/2021 at 9:48 AM, overherebc said:

And, who will actually enforce the new rules?

You're right and that's really the point I was making. You can make all the rules you want but it often seems they aren't enforced so you end up in the same situation as you would without the rules in the first place.

• Like 1

.....and what happens to those that arrive and cannot pay a surprise 13 days or is it 6 extra day in quarantine hotels....this whole response is a disasterfest about re-opening plans....a many-headed monster jabbering different requirements info the same or next day.

At the point of just bringing my g/f overseas, least we don't have to wear masks out in fresh air...utter nonsense that requirement all over Asia.

Reality is Thailand won't be out this greyzone till October next year...

Edited by freedomnow
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

You forgot to add that the new easier "Thailand Pass" is exactly the same as the old COE, amazing Thailand

Screenshot_20211017-112005_Chrome.jpg

Adam Judd, Pattaya News, made the point that although it will be web based, the Thailand Pass will still need a consular person to give the OK.

This can take a long time in some countries but there will obviously be more demand, so how will they cope.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

There was a report in The UK recently which showed the lateral flow tests to actually be more accurate than previously thought. I think a lateral flow and a PCR test at the airport would work. If the flow is negative you can go home and again a show of good faith would be needed for people to self isolate until they have their negative PCR test result.

I vote that they just require the test prior to flight and skip tests altogether after arrival. 

21 hours ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

I cannot get my head around one issue. If everyone has to do a 1 day quarantine and thousands of people turn up, how are they going to be enough hotel rooms in quarantine hotels?

I don't think they need to worry about thousands of holidaymakers turning up. Booking a holiday to Thailand is just too risky at the moment.

If you test positive on arrival you'll spend most of your holiday quarantined. Plus the always looming anti-alcohol sentiment from those in power now. Most holiday makers want the choice to have a drink with a meal or go to a bar for some bevvies. Who knows what alcohol rules will be in place by the time you arrive in Thailand. I remember several occasions when I was out enjoying the bars of Chaweng and suddenly all the music stopped and lights went down because the police from the mainland were doing curfew spot checks. Night out ruined. It could be 10 times worse in the current climate. 

So I don't think hotel capacity is going to be an issue for them. 

7 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Why can't they all just speak with one voice?

I am hearing Sandbox type scenario for Pattaya, others saying no quarantine. No concrete details from anyone. 

Just farcial. 

The true extent of covid in Thailand is pretty high, so why obsess with vaccinated tourists so much at the expense of the local population ? What's the obsession with testing a tourists so many times, but not locals ?

Why? Pure xenophobia. The only success they can fall back on is successfully closing the country to "dirty foreigners". Thailand never could have really close without shutting down construction and factories large numbers of migrant worker were trucked in untested and spread the virus in dorms and construction sites. Don't forget unguarded "natural borders". Testing and required approved hotels are profit centers for Elites who never suffered here middle class not in tourist industry either.  If you expect a grand reopening Nov 1 will be a big failure probably what the real plan is. The actual target, hordes of group tourists are not allowed to travel by their government

• Like 1