Why so many chinese cars MG cars ? do people only care to buy something cheap, whatever is the quality ?

leba

2 minutes ago, transam said:

So it was the price, as their rides have not really been around that long, I cannot see how you came to the conclusion the ZS being a good vehicle, after all, I keep being told here it is DESIGNED in the UK, the UK MG designs you slag off, AND using Chinese production and materials......????

????????????

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Isuzu since 1916 and Toyota since 1933, I know who I'll trust. 

Longevity isn't the best indication of continued success.  Fine examples; Ford, GM, Chrysler.  Those 3 only exist today because of their Asian partnerships ... IMHO

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Longevity isn't the best indication of continued success.  Fine examples; Ford, GM, Chrysler.  Those 3 only exist today because of their Asian partnerships ... IMHO

Honest perhaps, ignorant? Absolutely. 

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Again your bashing a vehicle you know very little about. Give it a rest. Just finished a 2500km drive to the south and back in my MGHS. Avg of 11.7 km per liter. Of course i drive conservatively but the road trip home to BKK from Phuket took just 10 hours and 15 minutes.  820 km one way.  Drove like a champ, handles very smoothly and quietly.  

What size engine with what hp is that? I get close to 15km per liter in my 3 Lt Dmax.

https://www.saicmotor.com/english/products/photos/index.shtml

https://www.gwm-global.com/company/

image.png.1d31147d783d3ec1036afbe8cfa5eeff.png

Companies from other countries with joint manufacturing ventures in China include:

Buick

Cadillac

Chevrolet

Mercedes-Benz

Daimler-Benz

Honda 

Toyota

Nissan

Audi 

Volkswagen

BMW

Jaguar Land Rover

Buick 

Cadillac

Volvo

Ford

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_industry_in_China#Foreign_manufacturer_joint_ventures

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

My American car is still on the road at 46 years old, most of my chums have even older American cars still on the road....????

I wonder how long your Chinese offering will last...????

7 minutes ago, Smithson said:

KPL will always vary for many reasons. Mine is mostly HWY driving, which would be similar to the trip from the south the OP referred to.

I deleted that as incorrect, after further research, and Dmax does state about 15 kpL on highway????

image.png.e26c65924735027085ff872d82da4d72.png

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, transam said:

My American car is still on the road at 46 years old, most of my chums have even older American cars still on the road....????

I wonder how long your Chinese offering will last...????

The difference is that the older cars like you say you have can be worked on by a simple person such as a backyard mechanic with technically regular old Sears Craftsman tools, while the newer cars and thats all of them need specialized tools to read the computer and then special tools to take apart certain components.  That in itself requires many cars to be taken to a garage instead of worked on at home like I used to do with my 64 Ford pickup with a three on the tree transmission........With the technology today the cars of today will be around just as long if not longer in my opinion.  Once the junkyards run out of parts for your old muscle car then you will be hoping that someone with a 3D printer can fashion you the parts you need....The MG cars in there current makeup have been around since 2015 and every year they get better at finding issues and correcting them which makes the longevity of the product a good bet.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

https://www.saicmotor.com/english/products/photos/index.shtml

https://www.gwm-global.com/company/

image.png.1d31147d783d3ec1036afbe8cfa5eeff.png

Companies from other countries with joint manufacturing ventures in China include:

Buick

Cadillac

Chevrolet

Mercedes-Benz

Daimler-Benz

Honda 

Toyota

Nissan

Audi 

Volkswagen

BMW

Jaguar Land Rover

Buick 

Cadillac

Volvo

Ford

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_industry_in_China#Foreign_manufacturer_joint_ventures

Exaggerate much? 

You list Buick & Cadillac each twice

Buick, Cadillac & Chevrolet are all GM

Are not Mercedes-Benz and Daimler-Benz all Mercedes-Benz Group? 

Volkswagen and & Audi are Volkswagen Group

Volvo is owned by Geely 

In any event, it's your position that all these companies depend on China for their technology and but for their association with China, all these companies (or at least the US companies) would be bankrupt, correct?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smithson said:

What size engine with what hp is that? I get close to 15km per liter in my 3 Lt Dmax.

1.5 L engine and the specs say between 12 to 15 km per liter if driven conservatively.  I drive at around 120 kph when on the open highway, in town with traffic that obviously cuts down on the fuel mileage. My 10+ hour trip included an hour dinner and fuel stop so in reality driving time was probably actually around 9 hours so I average a driving speed of around 90kpmh with the traffic on Hwy 4 and AH2 and Hwy 35.

image.png.25087f82fce25867a127205dfcff15e7.png

Edited by ThailandRyan

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

1.5 L engine and the specs say between 12 to 15 km per liter if driven conservatively.  I drive at around 120 kph when on the open highway, in town with traffic that obviously cuts down on the fuel mileage.

160hp, you sure.....?   

29 minutes ago, transam said:

160hp, you sure.....?   

1.5 liters four-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine that gives power to front wheels with efficient drive and comes with the option of seven-speed automatic  (DCT) transmission. It generates a maximum power output of 160 HP at 5600 rpm and torque of 250 Nm at 1500 to 4400 rpm.

It accelerates to cover sixty-two miles (100 km) in 9.9 seconds with a top speed of 118 miles (190 km) per hour. The suspension and braking system is made remarkably efficient to deliver a smooth tension free ride.

38 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

1.5 L engine and the specs say between 12 to 15 km per liter if driven conservatively.  I drive at around 120 kph when on the open highway, in town with traffic that obviously cuts down on the fuel mileage. My 10+ hour trip included an hour dinner and fuel stop so in reality driving time was probably actually around 9 hours so I average a driving speed of around 90kpmh with the traffic on Hwy 4 and AH2 and Hwy 35.

Is that what MG sales told you....?

I recall looking into the Chinese brand Chery, they have a ride identical to the ZS 1500cc, but has a 1500cc with turbo that gives 145hp (I think), and compared it to the non-turbo 1500cc ZS, which develops 112hp... ????

On 10/18/2021 at 6:59 PM, KhunLA said:

SAIC is the second largest Chinese automaker.  China rocks.  Only have 25k kms on mine, but quite like it.

I buy best product at the best price, and MG ticked both those boxes.  Assemble in Thailand, so 'buy Thai'...employs Thais, supports my now 'home' economy, & avoid silly import tax ... WIN WIN for EVERYONE.

If you're going to avoid buying anything Made in China ... good luck with that.

but you are driving, what is effectively, a piece of s>>t

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

1.5 liters four-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine that gives power to front wheels with efficient drive and comes with the option of seven-speed automatic  (DCT) transmission. It generates a maximum power output of 160 HP at 5600 rpm and torque of 250 Nm at 1500 to 4400 rpm.

It accelerates to cover sixty-two miles (100 km) in 9.9 seconds with a top speed of 118 miles (190 km) per hour. The suspension and braking system is made remarkably efficient to deliver a smooth tension free ride.

Aaaah, a 1500cc WITH a turbo, thank you....

46 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

In any event, it's your position that all these companies depend on China for their technology and but for their association with China, all these companies (or at least the US companies) would be bankrupt, correct?

NO ... just that the Anit-China folk need to look in the mirror, and realize, you can't escape China automakers, whether whole production or simply parts of almost every vehicle out there.

Although if China stopped exporting chips, and all forms ... well, nuff said

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

Is that what MG sales told you....?

I recall looking into the Chinese brand Chery, they have a ride identical to the ZS 1500cc, but has a 1500cc with turbo that gives 145hp (I think), and compared it to the non-turbo 1500cc ZS, which develops 112hp... ????

My HS is the TurboX  I-Smart model, MG did not tell me anything as I had already done my research prior to waling in and offering them a price point which they accepted and added on many freebies as well including the DVR Camera, Tinting, Window rain guards and others. Why troll someone who knows what there car does when you yourself wont even research the subject before you post your rhetoric.

My HS is the TurboX  I-Smart model, MG did not tell me anything as I had already done my research prior to waling in and offering them a price point which they accepted and added on many freebies as well including the DVR Camera, Tinting, Window rain guards and others. Why troll someone who knows what there car does when you yourself wont even research the subject before you post your rhetoric.

You quoted a 1500cc engine, not 1500cc turbo, I was thinking ZS.....

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Aaaah, a 1500cc WITH a turbo, thank you....

Ohhhh, I see you are in utter disbelief and trying to make a joke, but alas your unaware of the models and how they can perform.....

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

NO ... just that the Anit-China folk need to look in the mirror, and realize, you can't escape China automakers, whether whole production or simply parts of almost every vehicle out there.

Although if China stopped exporting chips, and all forms ... well, nuff said

Nothing anti China from me, we are discussing a Chinese "British" car brand here. 

• Haha 1

Ohhhh, I see you are in utter disbelief and trying to make a joke, but alas your unaware of the models and how they can perform.....

Don't mind him, he's just angry at the world because a 1.5lt China car has more power and is better in every way than some old American dinosaur he once owned.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

No joke, I have never been in or know anyone, except you, with an MG HS. I will have to remember.

That reminds me, mum bought a tweaked BL Maxi, twin carbs etc from factory, I was surprised it wasn't badged MG, they badged it HLS....????

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Don't mind him, he's just angry at the world because a 1.5lt China car has more power and is better in every way than some old American dinosaur he once owned.

Nothing to be angry about, automotive engineering has moved on, the same as onboard tech, no comparison unless one is into tweaking the old stuff. 

Factory 3.5 V8 Rover, for its time a beast, 145hp....????