Why so many chinese cars MG cars ? do people only care to buy something cheap, whatever is the quality ?

leba

5 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Am talking the older unreliable UK stuff,

Each to their own, but I suspect more MG owners would disagree than agree, non owners have an unsubstantiated opinion.

The UK motor industry became a victim of it's own success and many of the iconic names like MG were bought by foreign companies.

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I thought you were referring to 4 door, 3L diesel vs 4 door MG HS, and you're correct, the 4 dr 3L Dmax starts round ฿1.05 Million, as you did state 3L diesel. 

Didn't realize it was only a 2 door.  A bit cramped cab for over the road.

That's why I deleted it the first time, as a poor comparison.

That's what I told him, you were not wrong, as always, just confused. Its the two-door 3l Isuzu that  starts at ฿680

The 1.9l starts at ฿515

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Name becomes garbage because the vehicles are as well.

Am talking the older unreliable UK stuff, the new Chinese stuff is pretty good.

What real MG's did you have that were unreliable...?

4 minutes ago, transam said:

What real MG's did you have that were unreliable...?

My brother & friends had the Midget & MGBs, and they WERE UNRELIABLE

As was my VW van, but I still liked it.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Name becomes garbage because the vehicles are as well.

Am talking the older unreliable UK stuff, the new Chinese stuff is pretty good.

Sorry I cannot agree, they were very crude and thus reliable

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

So you never had one or toyed with one....????

The MGB and Midget's were one of the easiest rides to look after or service, so I don't know where you are coming from....

Late 60's, two girls in our click had a Midget and Sprite, sorry, but your friends must have been pretty useless at car stuff....????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah but there's a icon UK exception when I left England a mate of my was still waiting for his Morgan the waiting list was long forgotten how long he was told 9 months 1 & 1/2 years later still waiting, thing is they use BM engines. ????

When I was posted to Germany early 70s you could buy a car and take it back to UK tax free if you had it for 2 years. Guy I knew ordered a Morgan and it still wasn't ready when he went back to UK 2.5 years later. He still manged to get the tax relief as he paid for it when it had been ordered, but had to do an export/import. 

I did it with a Renault 17 and if I remember right you had to keep the vehicle for a further 3 years in the UK. The Renault cost me just over £900 in 1972, yellow like this one. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSecSOHomikMBIUaMjq5h7

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, transam said:

The MGB and Midget's were one of the easiest rides to look after or service, so I don't know where you are coming from....

Late 60's, two girls in our click had a Midget and Sprite, sorry, but your friends must have been pretty useless at car stuff....????

Does towing my brother's MGB home considered knowing a bit about them.  We did live in the same house, so I'd say I know as much about that car, probably more, since I was way more mechanically inclined that he was.

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

As was my VW van, but I still liked it.

I find that hard to believe being a mechanic during the time of those sports car. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Yeah, people that don't maintain their stuff are always blaming their stuff when it goes south. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, transam said:

My first car was a 1954 Ford Anglia 100E, 1172 side valve. 

Two of us lifted the engine out with a broom handle and done a decoke in the boot.

First insurance was £8/year 3rd party. Good old days, the youngsters don't know what they are missing.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Does towing my brother's MGB home considered knowing a bit about them.  We did live in the same house, so I'd say I know as much about that car, probably more, since I was way more mechanically inclined that he was.

Tell us more, did the gearbox fall off, did the axle give up, or did bruv not check the ignition points at the correct intervals......????

The problem with some of you slagging off MG's of yesteryear, is that many of us ol' Brits actually owned them and know the ins & outs of them. 

I will be honest and say that rust was a problem, BUT, I can't think of any ride of the era didn't have the same problem, even the mighty Aston Martin had a chassis that fell apart with rust, I have seen it with my own eyes......

8 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Two of us lifted the engine out with a broom handle and done a decoke in the boot.

First insurance was £8/year 3rd party. Good old days, the youngsters don't know what they are missing.

I did the same with mini engine and box combo, but stood on the bonnet rests, and lifted it up, and on my own too......????

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I find that hard to believe being a mechanic during the time of those sports car. 

I wouldn't call the MGBs they had, sports cars.  Vettes, 442s, GTOs ... they were performance cars. 

Your average Chevy Impala in the 60s (I had a couple) would outperform those things.  Maybe not corner as well ???? or feel like it anyway.  I drove them, not impressed at all with the MGBs.  Never drove the Midget, but as passenger, I'd never buy one, what junk.

They looked nice, and that was about it.  Don't know what y'all got in the UK, but must have been different than what they sent to the USA.

Now the TR6, they were nice.  Brother had TR7, loved his ragtops, but that was junk also.  Got rid of that fast.  His favorite, mechanical wise was the Miata, yea I know, but he loved it.  And it was the only one that was dependable.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

No, how does having towed something mean you know something about it it? If you knew anything about it you would not have to tow it. 

You're right, I should have had a spare alternator or a fuel pump with me, how stupid of us, not to travel with spares.

Y'all starting to get silly with your arguments.  Being around them back then, I would never buy, and almost put me off buying SAICs, until doing a bit of research, and waiting a few years, AFTER, they showed up here.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You're right, I should have had a spare alternator or a fuel pump with me, how stupid of us, not to travel with spares.

You sound like nobody ever breaks down, but bruvs MG was rubbish because it did.

My friends MG ZS power steering failed, taken away on a truck, is that a rubbish MG too..

PS. Power steering failure is pretty rare too.....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

But you would call a Chinese MG a road car, got it...

Yea, great family car, station wagon, hatchback.  As stated earlier, calling it a SUV is a stretch, as I don't find it sporty or a utility / work vehicle, unless doing small jobs.

Quiet & comfy on the highway at speed, and all I ask from it.

33 minutes ago, sandyf said:

My first car was a Consul Mk1 bought from a friend and I bought it by paying off the out standing finance amount of £37 the insurance was £12. 

Got nearly 90mph out of it on the newly built M1. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

you have many many posts to back with facts before I will add to mine.

Sucks to be called out, hey Mr Tranny the troll.

So, you have never owned a real MG yet you call them rubbish and unreliable, Don....Thank you....????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Y'all starting to get silly with your arguments.  Being around them back then, I would never buy, and almost put me off buying SAICs, until doing a bit of research, and waiting a few years, AFTER, they showed up here.

Oh, so now it was you and not your brother huh? Oh what a wicked web we weave....

In any event, I can't imagine towing a car that needed an alternator or fuel pump, or for any common part that's easily changed with a few hand tools.

• Like 1