Why so many chinese cars MG cars ? do people only care to buy something cheap, whatever is the quality ?

leba

34 minutes ago, transam said:

Japanese cars are assembled in Thailand, they are Japanese engineering designed.

State your reasons for preferring a Chinese made car......?

They're all Japanese or American or European engineering designed.

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

One would hope not, as they have a bit of explaining with their latest oops.

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/automobile/40027402

And MGs have been around for about 10 yrs in TH alone, not sure about other markets.  SAIC one of largest car manufacturer, also been around for a while, so fairly solid track record.

" MG production restarted in 2007 in China"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_Cars

"SAIC’s MG brand, which entered the Thai market in 2013, has become an increasingly popular brand among Thai customers. As of April, MG brand’s total sales in Thailand notched up more than 173,000 vehicles. Last year alone, SAIC Motor-CP manufactured and sold about 32,000 whole vehicles - making it one of SAIC’s major overseas production and sales bases.

In 2022, SAIC saw its sales in overseas markets reach over 1 million vehicles, ranking top among Chinese carmakers for the seventh consecutive year and marking the company becoming the first domestic automaker to achieve this milestone."

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230509123705973

SAIC:

"Founded in 1955, it is currently the largest of the "Big Four" state-owned car manufacturers of China,"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAIC_Motor

MODS:  apologies, as didn't realize the shortened version was considered a slur.  THANKS ... Need to update my 'woke dictionary'

That is funny. Personally I hate the whole woke," tell me what I am supposed to say" movement. 

However, that term referring to the Japanese people has been a slur dating back to at least 1941.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, transam said:

Well, yes...........:clap2:

Let me know when you hear someone say "Did you see that Great Wall, that's a nice looking car"

Selling to an international market, maybe you want them to use Chinese script also.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Let me know when you hear someone say "Did you see that Great Wall, that's a nice looking car"

Selling to an international market, maybe you want them to use Chinese script also.

And why not, you would still have bought one, because you slagged off the MG name here, you bought the Chinese MG because it was cheap, which it is.  ????

The Chinese MG uses English, all part of the smoke screen of the "since 1924 history"...........:whistling:

• Confused 2

I said a few times here that my wife has been working  in industrial manufacturing in thailand for almost 20 years. She supplies the parts to all Japanese auto makers here and knows that MG uses cheap unreliable parts. My wife is also a proud Chinese and she drives Honda and injected herself with Moderna and not Sinovac.

Facts are facts.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I said a few times here that my wife has been working  in industrial manufacturing in thailand for almost 20 years. She supplies the parts to all Japanese auto makers here and knows that MG uses cheap unreliable parts. My wife is also a proud Chinese and she drives Honda and injected herself with Moderna and not Sinovac.

Facts are facts.

Maybe the same was said of Japanese cars when first produced,  time will tell as always.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Banging on about smoke screens again, yawn.

They are selling internationally so how or why should they use Chinese script? Should Japanese cars all have names written in Japanese? Korean cars in Korean? They use English so they are also smoke screening right? 

Japanese brands use Japanese brand names, not buy a name to cover it is really a Chinese ride.........????

May I remind you of the Chinese MG boot badge.............????

MG Morris Garages Brit Dynamic Thailand Trunk Emblem | Lazada PH

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Financing options may play a big part in peoples choice of Car over Quality

Many MG trucks sold around our way. 

Saw new MG truck the other day red plates and full of chrome bling the Thais like em. 

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Many MG trucks sold around our way. 

Saw new MG truck the other day red plates and full of chrome bling the Thais like em. 

Yes, the MG badged Chinese Maxus T pick-up has a free barby mounted as a grill...............????

2021 MG Extender Pickup Detailed Ahead Of Debut Next Week At BIMS

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, transam said:

Japanese brands use Japanese brand names, not buy a name to cover it is really a Chinese ride.........????

May I remind you of the Chinese MG boot badge.............????

MG Morris Garages Brit Dynamic Thailand Trunk Emblem | Lazada PH

By buying MG, they bought the distribution network, factories (though closed) and not so much the 'reputation' as that was tarnished enough. with no bragging rights ... IMHO  

Matter of fact, as stated before, when MG3s started showing up here, I was actually in the market, and thought, no way, not knowing old 'MG' had nothing to do with them, except maybe design.  Did take a peek, inexpensive at the time, and you get what you pay for, and on par with the other inexpensive cars that I wouldn't buy; Celerio, Swift, March, Mirage, Varis & Vios, which we previously owned, and wouldn't buy again.

Went with Mazda 2 at the time, which, I also wouldn't buy again.  As you know, went with MG ZS after the M2.  Only other cars in the running then, 2020, were Jazz, or Nissan Note (ugly dash & new model) but once test driving the ZS, there's really no reason to go back to the substandard ride & comfort level they offered.

Thankfully the Chinese do a much better job than previous MG owners/makers.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, transam said:

Because they think it is British....:clap2:

I sem to remember reading somewhere the engines are made in UK is that correct or did I imagine that?

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

By buying MG, they bought the distribution network, factories (though closed) and not so much the 'reputation' as that was tarnished enough. with no bragging rights ... IMHO  

Matter of fact, as stated before, when MG3s started showing up here, I was actually in the market, and thought, no way, not knowing old 'MG' had nothing to do with them, except maybe design.  Did take a peek, inexpensive at the time, and you get what you pay for, and on par with the other inexpensive cars that I wouldn't buy; Celerio, Swift, March, Mirage, Varis & Vios, which we previously owned, and wouldn't buy again.

Went with Mazda 2 at the time, which, I also wouldn't buy again.  As you know, went with MG ZS after the M2.  Only other cars in the running then, 2020, were Jazz, or Nissan Note (ugly dash & new model) but once test driving the ZS, there's really no reason to go back to the substandard ride & comfort level they offered.

Thankfully the Chinese do a much better job than previous MG owners/makers.

From copied tech.....?   :whistling:

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

I sem to remember reading somewhere the engines are made in UK is that correct or did I imagine that?

No production in the UK, just the HQ @ Longbridge:

"Development

MG vehicles were primarily designed in United Kingdom between 2005 and 2019, with a reduced UK input since then.

MG Motor UK HQ–SAIC UK Technical & Design Centre

Longbridge has been retained and Research and Development is currently undertaken at the Longbridge Facility, with Longbridge being home to SMTC (SAIC Motor Technical Centre), which has significant design and engineering input into SAIC products globally.

MG has headquarters in United Kingdom, with production in China, Thailand (from 2016) and India (since 2019) but the primary design was held at the Longbridge, Birmingham headquarter."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_Motor

• Like 1