Why so many chinese cars MG cars ? do people only care to buy something cheap, whatever is the quality ?

leba

On 10/21/2021 at 2:57 PM, CLW said:

Apart from MG. Great Wall Motor (GWM) Haval H6 SUV is currently the best selling car according to DLT statistics.

Soon to be released Ora Good Cat the first affordable sedan EV in Thailand. Watch it, it will selling like hot cakes.

Especially since it has received good reviews worldwide

Based on the UK prices at least, the MG EP EV (marketed as the MG5 EV in the UK) which is already available here, costs almost exactly the same and looks like better value for money.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Materials and production methods have improved markedly, hence the transition to smaller engines. Turbo technology in particular. 

They will be just as long lasting as the larger capacity engines they replaced. 

MB are getting 421hp / 500 Nm out of their AMG 2.0L 4 cylinder with no reliability issues. 

Smaller engines = fuel economy numbers

Long lasting - not as long as a less stressed engines

MB - not noted for reliability, why do you think this has changed ?

• Confused 2

On 10/19/2021 at 1:13 PM, seedy said:

1.5 liter engines - They don't belong in cars, they belong in bikes

All those turbo charged mini motors - the reliability and long life will not be there.

Do to the simple fact that they are working much harder to produce the same TQ as a larger displacement engine.

And that will cost down the road

Yeah your right that's why fastest race cars in the would use a 1•6 engine that extra 100 cc makes all the difference. ????

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, seedy said:

And they last a REALLY long time

When the technology from F1 reverts to tech being introduced  on road car engines yes reliable.

Same as MotoGP tech going the way of road motorbike. 

My 1•9 diesel in my truck is not lagging that much behind the power of the 3•0 Vigo I had because of new technology.

7 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Materials and production methods have improved markedly, hence the transition to smaller engines. Turbo technology in particular. 

They will be just as long lasting as the larger capacity engines they replaced. 

MB are getting 421hp / 500 Nm out of their AMG 2.0L 4 cylinder with no reliability issues. 

Look at the 3 cylinder Fiesta...lighter, less fuel more power fast and better reliability.. ICEs need to go this way .

16 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Not really everthing is going Electric.

16 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Not really everthing is going Electric.

Not everything yet.... Electrification is the way the industry us going.....but they still need good low consumption ICEs for the next decade. Also engines to run with hybrids.

It is unfortunate that hydrogen at present is the underdog.....notably with Toyota being the exception.

Currently global sales are between 3 and 5%

Edited by kwilco

23 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Based on the UK prices at least, the MG EP EV (marketed as the MG5 EV in the UK) which is already available here, costs almost exactly the same and looks like better value for money.

The Thai model MG EP seems to be only available as station wagon and with the previous model front bodyworks.

I wish they would have the Thai MG5 as electric version. Looks great IMO

mg cars.PNG

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Not everything yet.... Electrification is the way the industry us going.....but they still need good low consumption ICEs for the next decade. Also engines to run with hybrids.

It is unfortunate that hydrogen at present is the underdog.....notably with Toyota being the exception.

Currently global sales are between 3 and 5%

What has immigration customs enforcement have to do with it. 

On 10/19/2021 at 3:40 PM, YaiJung said:

Sat in a MG when I was in the market for a new car a couple years ago.  Immediately got out and commented to my wife, what a low quality piece of junk it felt like....honestly I was shocked by how cheap and crappy the interior was.   Didn't even realize at the time that MG was chinese...didn't know much about them to be honest and thought they were still British.   Upon discovering they are now Chinese I thought, well that explains a lot!  Why anyone would bother with anything other than the main Japanese brands while in Thailand is beyond me. 

That was then, but times have changed and the MG cars have become tops in their classes, ergo why they are being bought throughout Thailand, India, Qatar, Australia and the UK.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2021 at 11:38 PM, aeae said:

I am so lucky ! I have found the list of cheap charlies ????

so incredible that some people buy the cheapest "cars" on the market and almost pretend to be proud !

no wonder why people can be tamed so easily and inject anything they are told to do, when they can also buy the cheapest chinese cars available in the world and do not feel ashamed...

Sitting and driving an MG once in the life is enough for anybody who knows what is a real car, to understand that even free they should not be accepted by anyone with a face...

Why spend 12 MThb or more on a car that will do the same as one for 800k to 1.2Mthb.  I was always in fear of having my Cayenne totaled or driven into by a motor bike here in BKK that I finally decided to sell it and buy a nice SUV, the MG HS TurboX.  I don't need to be treated like a Hi-So and my car allowed to park in the VIP supercar parking at the mall, and if it gets hit it doesn't bother me.  Up to you as the Thai's say.  If you need to be snobbish about buying a vehicle that's comfortable and drives then your in that "Look at me, look at me" category of folks.  I passed that phase long ago.

On 10/20/2021 at 8:08 AM, Ireland32 said:

Take a test ride , noisy <deleted> plastic  vehicles , Tata would be a better option 

Your view and opinion my 2021 MG HS TurboX rides like a dream, quiet, no outside noise and the interior is very comfortable.  No plasticky feel or plastic in the vehicle except the cup holder.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 3:34 PM, Doctor Tom said:

Its like Magpies.  If it looks shinny then they take it, regardless of its actual worth.  I wouldn't  touch them with a barge pole. Then again, I try to avoid anything that originates in China, but its hard to do here.  

Well then it must be hard for you to buy anything throughout the world then, better check the labels on the boxes and see where your parts are made for certain items....

• Like 2

On 10/25/2021 at 3:59 PM, Kwasaki said:

When the technology from F1 reverts to tech being introduced  on road car engines yes reliable.

Same as MotoGP tech going the way of road motorbike. 

My 1•9 diesel in my truck is not lagging that much behind the power of the 3•0 Vigo I had because of new technology.

1.9 = 110kw & 350nm of torque versus the 3.0 @ 140kw and 450nm of torque.

Explains the reduced payload and towing capacity of the 1.9.

I'm old enough to be able to remember the 1970s when you could buy a Datsun and watch it rot before those eyes the day after the warranty expired. Jokes were made about Datsun which changed its name to Nissan and then upped its game. So now the jokes are made about Chinese goods.

My father told me that before WW2 US goods were once seen as shoddy and made with stolen IP from Germany, Britain etc.

China will one day up its game and turn out quality products.....but quality is not the business they are in for export. They have to compete on price (as HK, Japan etc) had to do in the 70s.

• Haha 1