Why so many chinese cars MG cars ? do people only care to buy something cheap, whatever is the quality ?

leba

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Good idea of Brits to sell to China.

Yes Rule Britannia now free of EU,  here's a few.

Ford Motor Co. will invest as much as 230 million pounds ($316 million) to start making electric-vehicle components at an existing plant near Liverpool after the U.K. government pledged financial support.

ALL-NEW BRITISH ELECTRIC CAR MANUFACTURER SET TO SHAKE UP THE INDUSTRY. COVENT GARDEN , LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM, August 13, 2021 /EINPresswire.com/ -- Soventem is the all-new British built electric car manufacturer set to transform the world of EVs.

What a ridiculous think to say...all of these I dustrues would benefit from EU membership. Germany stands out as being the only example of a country that has a trade surplus with China.

7 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Chinese started making automobiles in the 1920's, might be some China parts in the early MG cars !!

the origins of the Chinese car industry are in the 1950s.

These were Russian based vehicles.

I'm not sure who but before the war or revolution... my guess is it would have been under licence.

I doubt if there is much prewar connection with today...apart from military? The Chibese were totally technologically outclassed by the Japanese in the Manchurian invasion.

before WW2 Ford, GM  and Benz had assembly plants in Shianghai 

Edited by kwilco

My 20 year old Toyota is still going strong and saves me a tonne of money compared to buying a new car. Seems like none of them are built to last these days anyway.

Also what is the point of E85? The government are just trying to prop-up crop prices. A bit better for the environment maybe but it doesn't save you any money. Yes it's 25% cheaper but you also get around 25% less mileage. UK will be changing to E10 as standard soon to match with Thailand but I wouldn't want any more than 10% ethanol.

4 minutes ago, kwilco said:

the origins of the Chinese car industry are in the 1950s.

These were Russian based vehicles.

I'm not sure who but before the war or revolution... my guess is it would have been under licence.

I doubt if there is much prewar connection with today...apart from military? The Chibese were totally technologically outclassed by the Japanese in the Manchurian invasion.

before WW2 Ford, GM  and Benz had assembly plants in Shianghai 

Some Chinese fella mad trucks in 1928.

1 minute ago, matchar said:

My 20 year old Toyota is still going strong and saves me a tonne of money compared to buying a new car. Seems like none of them are built to last these days anyway.

Also what is the point of E85? The government are just trying to prop-up crop prices. A bit better for the environment maybe but it doesn't save you any money. Yes it's 25% cheaper but you also get around 25% less mileage. UK will be changing to E10 as standard soon to match with Thailand but I wouldn't want any more than 10% ethanol.

The MG link is....?

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

Some Chinese fella mad trucks in 1928.

The MG truck is a 100% Chinese truck with an MG badge on it, but it has a Union Jack and Brit on the tail gate, sadly in the MG tradition, it has nothing added performance wise, just stuff to fool the buyer......????

3 minutes ago, matchar said:

Yes it's 25% cheaper but you also get around 25% less mileage. 

Wrong.

I've tested 91, E20 & E85, and since the MG ZS is designed to run on E85, it performs the same, and yep, big savings over the life of the vehicle. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I heard ... that they're the best damn bang for your baht.

Oh wait, that was me and the others that actually OWN THEM. ????

Please don't review something you've never driven, as it doesn't shine well on you.

I bet you don't come back on here if you get problems with it....????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Please don't review something you've never driven, as it doesn't shine well on you.

He and the others just do t like China it appears. My HS was made here in Thailand as well.  Put 420km on it today driving from BKk outwards for a nice 3 day trip. Nice an quiet ride and o it used just a little over 3/4s of a tank of fuel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I never said anything about driving quality but rather about parts quality. Wee touchy huh

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Wrong.

I've tested 91, E20 & E85, and since the MG ZS is designed to run on E85, it performs the same, and yep, big savings over the life of the vehicle. 

As I said 3/4 of a tank used today and drove 420km. Will fill it in the morning before the next leg of the trip.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Wrong.

But, it is an underpowered 1500cc from the start....????

At least the Chinese equivalent Chery has a 1500cc with a turbo that will trounce a ZS.. 

3 minutes ago, transam said:

The MG truck is a 100% Chinese truck with an MG badge on it, but it has a Union Jack and Brit on the tail gate, sadly in the MG tradition, it has nothing added performance wise, just stuff to fool the buyer......????

Wow, you are really hung up an that.  I'm starting to like it even more ????

I don't think most MG buyers here have a clue of the MG history, c r a pp y at that, and that's a good thing, if mindset was the same as mine.  As I had a very low opinion of MGs, until I checked out the ZS.

Oh ... and that truck, is an excellent value.  Almost bought it, and if in the market for, that's the one I would buy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

He and the others just do t like China it appears. My HS was made here in Thailand as well.  Put 420km on it today driving from BKk outwards for a nice 3 day trip. Nice an quiet ride and o it used just a little over 3/4s of a tank of fuel.

Not me, it is the use of a British performance brand name on non-performance rides just to sell their Chinese stuff. 

I would probably stay quiet if they called your ride a Morris Oxford....????

1 minute ago, transam said:

But, it is an underpowered 1500cc from the start....????

At least the Chinese equivalent Chery has a 1500cc with a turbo that will trounce a ZS.. 

It's not a Transam, but my MG HS turbo X gets up and goes and I like the sport mode and paddle shifters on the open road.

2 minutes ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

Why would anyone in their right mind risk buying a Chinese car over a Japanese car for savings of ???kbaht. A car is something you really only want to buy every 10years or so. Why not buy the best quality out there. Sounds like MG owners are either cheap or stupid.

Risk? Care to explain your comment, or are you just bashing China. Sure you have plenty of products with Chinese parts inside.

Cheap or stupid, I am neither and neither are the others who have bought one, pretty sure of that.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, n00dle said:

Your reading comprehension is inconstent. Where do I refer to china in the context of the post I responded to or the op?  Do try to keep up.  

But you were replying to my posts specifically about China. If your comments weren't about China, why reply to me at all? 

image.png.cc9f0e5521db1edf3a49d03f928431e3.png

image.png.5fca76a83eaaa5aaef0eda7019cca662.png

image.png.f4873a2667b1b5f0e7c0c7de4e56625f.png

On 10/26/2021 at 4:34 PM, Ralf001 said:

back in those days car were built to last and the buyers expected that, thats why the "jap <deleted>" was shunned when first introduced.

These days car are disposable accessories and are designed as such.

Actually I would say it was just the opposite of that.  Tires lasted 15,000 miles, tune up every 7,000 miles, and if your car had 100,000 miles it was junk.  The thing that inadvertently turned things around for the Japanese was a lack of dealerships in the USA.  People outside the metropolitan areas refused to buy them because of the lack of dealerships to service them.  The Big 3 automakers had the opposite viewpoint.  Churn out pieces of <deleted> and let the dealerships fix them in the field.  The Japanese automakers were forced to make quality products less prone to require service because of their limited service network.  It turned out to be the magic bullet as people started recognizing the quality and dependability of the Japanese product over that <deleted> coming from Detroit.  And I am from Michigan so I witnessed first hand how the Detroit automakers laughed at Toyota and Honda and kept building the Buick Electra 225's, Cadillac Eldorado Broughams that got 8 miles per gallon, handled like the titanic and rusted out in 3 years. 

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Wow, you are really hung up an that.  I'm starting to like it even more ????

I don't think most MG buyers here have a clue of the MG history, c r a pp y at that, and that's a good thing, if mindset was the same as mine.  As I had a very low opinion of MGs, until I checked out the ZS.

Oh ... and that truck, is an excellent value.  Almost bought it, and if in the market for, that's the one I would buy.

I know you would, even if were badged Chow Ming, but I do wonder why the Maxus T60/70 was never sold here before, only after the "Brit" performance advertising .. ????

5 minutes ago, transam said:

I bet you don't come back on here if you get problems with it....????

The only reason I would come back on this thread, is if someone actually asked a question.  

OR, to let y'all know I gave the ZS to my daughter, and I picked up an MG EV.  That's not happening anytime soon, unless her Mazda dies.   Can't see that happening for a long time.

Peace Out ... have a good one ✌

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Not me, it is the use of a British performance brand name on non-performance rides just to sell their Chinese stuff. 

I would probably stay quiet if they called your ride a Morris Oxford....????

British performance brand.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha, goddamn thats the funniest <deleted> Ive read all day !!

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It's not a Transam, but my MG HS turbo X gets up and goes and I like the sport mode and paddle shifters on the open road.

Ironic he purchased a sub standard American car then spent lots of coin to make it driveable.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I read somewhere that the ZS will have its 1500cc replaced with a 1000cc + turbo, now I am not sure if that's a step forwards or backwards....????

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Risk? Care to explain your comment, or are you just bashing China. Sure you have plenty of products with Chinese parts inside.

Cheap or stupid, I am neither and neither are the others who have bought one, pretty sure of that.

Yea goods that don't matter and if the parts are made in China they are made in Japanese factories to Japanese high QC.

Car Toyota

TV Samsung

Kitchen appliances Siemens, Electrolux and Samsung

Aircons Hitachi

CCTV Panasonic

The only expensive bit of kit I have from China is my DJI drone which I will agree, built to a very high quality.

Sorry, I just think it is crazy to buy a Chinese car over a Japanese car. No offense intended.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

British performance brand.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha, goddamn thats the funniest <deleted> Ive read all day !!

That's because you know nothing about the cars that wore the MG badge, of which a huge number were exported to the USA. ????

Even one of the most iconic cars ever made, the Austin/Morris Mini Cooper would have been badged an MG if it wasn't for John Cooper, though in later years it was adopted to the Mini Metro.....????

Just now, transam said:

That's because you know nothing about the cars that wore the MG badge, of which a huge number were exported to the USA. ????

Even one of the most iconic cars ever made, the Austin/Morris Mini Cooper would have been badged an MG if it wasn't for John Cooper, though in later years it was adopted to the Mini Metro.....????

So, which ones after 1980 could remotely be classed as performance ?

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

So, which ones after 1980 could remotely be classed as performance ?

BMC/BL car range that were increased in power via twin carbs etc were badge MG, and I believe Riley and Wolseley.

After 1980, you will have to Google that info, but the MG Metro 6R4 was interesting in that period....????