Why so many chinese cars MG cars ? do people only care to buy something cheap, whatever is the quality ?

leba

Just now, transam said:

A bit like Italian some sports cars using American engines eh....

Brough Superior motorcycles using J.A.P engines and another's suspension, worth a fortune now....???? 

Which just cements  how spectacularly the Brits failed.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Surely people aren't dumb enough to believe any marketing ploy from any company.  When I bought my MG, I was not under the impression it would perform like a race car.

Although ... that Marvel X is looking pretty damn sporty.

Look on the part Union Jack on the back your MG, what does it say...?

23 minutes ago, transam said:

You seem to know nothing about nationalities of who actually designed BMC/BL cars either...????

Turkish/Greek and Italian come to mind....Time to catch up chum....????

What about Harry Westlake.

• Like 1

Just now, Ralf001 said:

Which just cements  how spectacularly the Brits failed.

It is clear you know nothing about MG and its history, you are getting confused with the British Motor Corporation regarding the collapse of all the brands under the BMC control. Spend a bit more time reading on it..????

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, transam said:

No, Morris Garages used the MG badge for their race cars back then. Morris badge was used for the run a rounds...

The Chinese use the MG performance history in their advertising, a rip off...

Like bmw with mini and rolls, volvo and lotus with Zhejiang Geely, and bentley with vw plus im sure a few more I missed.

britian certainly doent have a rich history of hanging on to its marques. 

your use of chinaman in another post however is cute.

Reminds me of my grandfather, but like Bmc/bl he has been dead for decades.

your insitent jingoism would do him proud.

don't the indians (tata) own jaguar now? 

the worm has turned. Hail Brittania.

I wonder what is worse, buying a legacy or selling your heritage? It does after all cut both ways.

Edited by n00dle
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Chinese industry is clearly capable of manufacturing technologically advanced products. What is this archaic thinking that typifies Chinese manufacturers?

Many onsite seem unable to accept that manufacturing is a global endeavour,  what amuses me is where they draw their lines.

21 minutes ago, transam said:

Look on the part Union Jack on the back your MG, what does it say...?

And ....

... it's marketing.  I look at the specs, the price, the reviews.  I have no allegiance to any country or brand, and simply buy the best product for my needs, for the best price.  They're not paying me to advertise.

Mao's Garage fit that bill, and very happy with the ZS.  Will it stand the test of time?  Can't see why not. All the Asian manufacturers got producing the 1.5L ICE down to a science.  China designed it to use E85, another plus.  Throw in some comforts, and I'm happy.

Certainly wouldn't buy another Vios or Mazda2 for what they were asking, or any other 649k baht car out there, at the time, last year.  All overpriced from what I saw.  MG had nice sale, mid model for entry model price, couldn't say no.  Could probably sell it today for almost what I bought it for, as now priced at 739k.

So much for those stating it won't hold it's value.  The more popular they get, the more value mine will be.  Knowing it was new to Thailand, that crossed my mind, get in early, as it will probably be a popular brand.  At worst, I'd give it to more daughter when changing cars in the future.  She'll probably get it anyway.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

And ....

... it's marketing.  I look at the specs, the price, the reviews.  I have no allegiance to any country or brand, and simply buy the best product for my needs, for the best price.  They're not paying me to advertise.

Mao's Garage fit that bill, and very happy with the ZS.  Will it stand the test of time?  Can't see why not. All the Asian manufacturers got producing the 1.5L ICE down to a science.  China designed it to use E85, another plus.  Throw in some comforts, and I'm happy.

Certainly wouldn't buy another Vios or Mazda2 for what they were asking, or any other 649k baht car out there, at the time, last year.  All overpriced from what I saw.  MG had nice sale, mid model for entry model price, couldn't say no.  Could probably sell it today for almost what I bought it for, as now priced at 739k.

So much for those stating it won't hold it's value.  The more popular they get, the more value mine will be.  Knowing it was new to Thailand, that crossed my mind, get in early, as it will probably be a popular brand.  At worst, I'd give it to more daughter when changing cars in the future.  She'll probably get it anyway.

It says "Brit", now don't be afraid to say it...

Would you have bought it it it said "Chow Ming".....????

You inferred folk took no notice of the Brit link, if that is the case, why use it. ????

20 minutes ago, transam said:

No, Morris Garages used the MG badge for their race cars back then. Morris badge was used for the run a rounds...

The Chinese use the MG performance history in their advertising, a rip off...

My post was a bit of tongue in cheek reply, I am sure there were plenty of good cars produced in the UK . The Mini Cooper quickly comes to mind. I dont know much about British cars but I am sure there were many others, What sunk the British car industry IMO was labor relationships, Much the same as in the US during the seventies.

If I understand this correctly the new MG is owned by the Chinese but its design facilities is based in the UK  , and the vehicle is produced in China and Thailand..

I dont see how the advertising is a "rip off" , isn't all advertising designed to maximize    positive perceptions and minimize negative ones?  At this point, rightly or not, Chinese products have a negative perception and as such all Chinese connections are minimized. 

I believe that China is making an attempt to move from a low wage market , to a low cost high quality market, and as such they are trying to present a good quality product at a reasonable price to change perceptions.

At this point of their change in strategy it would be disastrous to  produce a sub par vehicle. 

And it seems to be working, Notice the change in opinions from only a few years ago that we had the same conversation. 

I for one am willing to take advantage of that dynamic. 

If I was one of the non Chinese car producers , I would be very concerned . 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Many onsite seem unable to accept that manufacturing is a global endeavour,  what amuses me is where they draw their lines.

Your critiques are incoherent. On the one hand you accuse Chinese manufacturers of archaic thinking, and on the other you claim their standards are international.

30 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Like bmw with mini and rolls, volvo and lotus with Zhejiang Geely, and bentley with vw plus im sure a few more I missed.

britian certainly doent have a rich history of hanging on to its marques. 

your use of chinaman in another post however is cute.

Reminds me of my grandfather, but like Bmc/bl he has been dead for decades.

your insitent jingoism would do him proud.

don't the indians (tata) own jaguar now? 

the worm has turned. Hail Brittania.

I wonder what is worse, buying a legacy or selling your heritage?

Good idea of Brits to sell to China.

Yes Rule Britannia now free of EU,  here's a few.

Ford Motor Co. will invest as much as 230 million pounds ($316 million) to start making electric-vehicle components at an existing plant near Liverpool after the U.K. government pledged financial support.

ALL-NEW BRITISH ELECTRIC CAR MANUFACTURER SET TO SHAKE UP THE INDUSTRY. COVENT GARDEN , LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM, August 13, 2021 /EINPresswire.com/ -- Soventem is the all-new British built electric car manufacturer set to transform the world of EVs.

On 10/19/2021 at 10:26 AM, lopburi3 said:

Suspect that says it all.  I was in Japan from 1961-3 and MC were already accepted as some of the best in the world and Datsun Bluebird was already much more reliable than cars in USA (they had to be driven full out on the roads of Hokkaido).   The Chinese have done their homework, just as Japan did after WW2 - was there in late 70's when they first opened up and when they bought equipment they made very sure they understood how it ticked so they could make themselves.  After 40 years they are experts and most high tech products are now being made there both by Chinese and other countries.  

You make some very good points and I would like to add to them......... 

When I was old enough to ride a big motorbike, I bought a Triumph 3T twin and sitting alongside of a couple of friends and their brand-new Honda 250 cc bikes, I noticed the difference, whereas mine was prone to oil leaks, rattled all the time and sent out the occasional puff of smoke, they were sitting on two lovely/immaculate motorbikes that sounded like sewing machines with not a trace of oil anywhere. That was the start of the Japanese invasion of the motorbikes and they left the British motorbike industry in their wake.

Having said that, they were often ridiculed saying that they wouldn't last and so on, and yet not more than a couple of months ago I saw one of the originals here in Thailand, and was tempted to go and ask if I could buy it, just for nostalgic reasons! Now look at Honda – – enough said.

If the Chinese have done what the Japanese did after World War II, then look out because the quality of the goods will become better and better, following the lines of what Dr Edwards Deming did for the Japanese industry, one of the processes he helped implement being "Quality Circles".

I suggest folks look that up because it was so stunningly different to the way that the British manufactured their cars and motorbikes. In a nutshell, small groups of folk on the production line from top to bottom would have regular meetings to discuss how they could each improve an aspect of what they were doing, in order to make the production process run more smoothly, more quickly and be more cost-effective.

Of course this was tantamount to treason for the designers and engineers in the British industry, because they decided what happened and really didn't listen to much which came back off the shop floor.

Some British companies said that they were following this process, but weren't and as a prime example, I was working for Rank Xerox in the UK when they started manufacturing small copiers in a factory in Wales, and as I was then climbing up the management ladder I was invited along to see what they were doing and despite them lauding the fact that they followed the "quality circles" mantra, their idea of it was so totally different.

As an example, whenever a copier got to the end of the conveyor belt production line and was tested, and failed, it then went on to another conveyor belt which send it along to another group of engineers who endeavoured to fix it, before being put back on the main production line for testing again, and so on.

Nowhere on that production line was there anywhere which allowed for the individuals to be able to have input into the process, so the old British way of doing things, still reigned supreme, and it's no wonder it folded after just a few years because it became too expensive to produce there.

The Chinese are totally capable of producing quality goods, and their bad rap possibly comes from the fact that whenever production costs became prohibitive/high in the Western world, they moved production over to China because it was cheaper, hence the "Chinese cheap goods" label I believe. Notwithstanding the fact that the Chinese were often  using the same technology/designs which were developed by the OEM.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, transam said:

It says "Brit", now don't be afraid to say it...

Would you have bought it it it said "Chow Ming".....????

You inferred folk took no notice of the Brit link, if that is the case, why use it. ????

I would have bought it no matter what was stamped on it.  As I stated, they aren't paying me to advertise, so country / brand, means nothing to me.

MG was actually turn off for me, as my only prior experience with them, was my brother's MGBs, and a love (styling) / hate (repairs) relationship.

When MG first offered in Thailand, I thought, screw that, they're POS, and went belly up for reason.  Peeking at the MG3 the first year, and it met my expectations, c r a p.   Looking at the ZS couple years later, and well, obviously I was impressed, and research showing Brits basically have nothing to do with the manufacturing, was a major plus for me.  Assembled in Thailand, another plus, price wise.  Couldn't really find a negative.

And 'Brit Design' .... that's just too funny.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Your critiques are incoherent. On the one hand you accuse Chinese manufacturers of archaic thinking, and on the other you claim their standards are international.

Maybe their ideas about the world in general are outdated. Look where you are posting, archaic thinking is hardly uncommon hereabouts.

Your reading comprehension is inconstent. Where do I refer to china in the context of the post I responded to or the op?  Do try to keep up.  

Edited by n00dle

30 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Good idea of Brits to sell to China.

Yes Rule Britannia now free of EU,  here's a few.

Ford Motor Co. will invest as much as 230 million pounds ($316 million) to start making electric-vehicle components at an existing plant near Liverpool after the U.K. government pledged financial support.

ALL-NEW BRITISH ELECTRIC CAR MANUFACTURER SET TO SHAKE UP THE INDUSTRY. COVENT GARDEN , LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM, August 13, 2021 /EINPresswire.com/ -- Soventem is the all-new British built electric car manufacturer set to transform the world of EVs.

Have they built a car yet? How many do they currently employ? 

Its great they are shot of the, EU, the tarrifs on every car they sell to europe should bring them a signifcant competitive edge in the tiny european market.

Edited by n00dle

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I would have bought it no matter what was stamped on it.  As I stated, they aren't paying me to advertise, so country / brand, means nothing to me.

MG was actually turn off for me, as my only prior experience with them, was my brother's MGBs, and a love (styling) / hate (repairs) relationship.

When MG first offered in Thailand, I thought, screw that, they're POS, and went belly up for reason.  Peeking at the MG3 the first year, and it met my expectations, c r a p.   Looking at the ZS couple years later, and well, obviously I was impressed, and research showing Brits basically have nothing to do with the manufacturing, was a major plus for me.  Assembled in Thailand, another plus, price wise.  Couldn't really find a negative.

And 'Brit Design' .... that's just too funny.

The MGB was a great car, except it was a rust bucket. But you are talking different era's. The last MGB was produced over 40 years ago, did the Chinese even have cars 40 + years back........????

Haha...I resemble this post!  Live on the islands, bought a used Chery car (has automatic or manual option button and other quirks. Build quality poor. Safety...who knows, likely in last place. Ran great on flat ground...struggled uphill. Why buy? It was 50K baht and beat a motorbike in the rain and overall safety. After 4 months, swapped out the engine for a used Honda engine (40K). So, for less than 100K I have a reliable, ugly (some say island cute in lime green) car I and the wife can take anywhere....now up steep hills too! I'm not driving for style points, don't plan long distance journeys in it, and hope to have this car for at least 5 years on the island (in year two now). At that point I will likely upgrade to a proper vehicle and will have completed my house build so won't need to be stingy in other areas.

55 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

OOPS....could be another DeLorean in the making!!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

The MGB was a great car, except it was a rust bucket. But you are talking different era's. The last MGB was produced over 40 years ago, did the Chinese even have cars 40 + years back........????

Chinese started making automobiles in the 1920's, might be some China parts in the early MG cars !!