Why so many chinese cars MG cars ? do people only care to buy something cheap, whatever is the quality ?

leba

1 minute ago, Pedrogaz said:

I'm old enough to be able to remember the 1970s when you could buy a Datsun and watch it rot before those eyes the day after the warranty expired. Jokes were made about Datsun which changed its name to Nissan and then upped its game. So now the jokes are made about Chinese goods.

My father told me that before WW2 US goods were once seen as shoddy and made with stolen IP from Germany, Britain etc.

China will one day up its game and turn out quality products.....but quality is not the business they are in for export. They have to compete on price (as HK, Japan etc) had to do in the 70s.

back in those days car were built to last and the buyers expected that, thats why the "jap <deleted>" was shunned when first introduced.

These days car are disposable accessories and are designed as such.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

1.9 = 110kw & 350nm of torque versus the 3.0 @ 140kw and 450nm of torque.

Explains the reduced payload and towing capacity of the 1.9.

I'm not towing anything so torque doesn't matter to me other that what's on the 4 wheels it's 150bhp a newer turbo and it works well. 

It's 1,200 for road tax instead of 7,000 for 4 door Vigo worse way 12 to a litre 18 to 20 to litre on a long trip at 90 kph driving like a granny that's all I need to know.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I'm not towing anything so torque doesn't matter to me other that what's on the 4 wheels it's 150bhp a newer turbo and it works well. 

lol, Torque matters a lot more than HP.

but yeah, enjoy ya slug.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

lol, Torque matters a lot more than HP.

but yeah, enjoy ya slug.

Well I had a Vigo 3.0 and the 1.9 Isuzu spins wheels just the same a from take off only top speed is down.

If you get to drive one and don't think its OK then have an opinion. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well I had a Vigo 3.0 and the 1.9 Isuzu spins wheels just the same a from take off only top speed is down.

If you get to drive one and don't think its OK then have an opinion. 

the 1.9 is auto or manual ?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes really, I sold my Cayenne and enjoy my MG, your a snob if you think only high end expensive cars get the job done. However, your a China hater it appears and better check your home appliances and such. Enjoy your narrow view.

Or even your Mac book........ cheap Chinese <deleted>?

Notice a few high performance cars mentioned, and do people really want or need one here.  I've always had practical vehicles, and never a 'look at me' kind of shopper.  Started with a practical WV van (1st car) then station wagon, as a young lad, since doing a bit of camping.  Trucks for work, (air freight & chimney sweeping, tools / slum lord), along with also having at same time as truck, cars, Firebird for playing, Caddy for cruising.  Scooters for cheap thrills (750) or cruising (900).

Would I have the 750/900 or Firebird here - NO, as total waste, as nowhere to play with as I use to enjoy playing.  Even most inter-province roads I wouldn't feel comfortable doing 125-150 MILES per hr. on.  That's just silly and dangerous here, and I've matured pass those times, almost.  Besides, speed limit of 120 is more than fast enough, and the traffic and or conditions of the road, I find myself rarely hitting 120, or wanting to.

You all spend your baht on whatever makes you happy, but MG offers some of the best values out there.  If avoid only for anti China stance, then som naa na, you really are being foolish.

Feel free the pay way too much for more vehicle than you'll ever need.  Good luck finding a parking spot, or will you be one of the arrogant POS that thinks their life is so much more important and cause bottlenecks on the town streets.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

1. Firebird for playing, Caddy for cruising.  Scooters for cheap thrills (750) or cruising (900).

2. Would I have the 750/900 or Firebird here - NO, as total waste, as nowhere to play with as I use to enjoy playing.  Even most inter-province roads I wouldn't feel comfortable doing 125-150 MILES per hr.

3. Besides, speed limit of 120 is more than fast enough,

If avoid only for anti China stance, then som naa na, you really are being foolish.

4. Feel free the pay way too much for more vehicle than you'll ever need. 

OK apologies for breaking down your post to points you make. 

1. What's a firebird. 

2. 125/150 MPH like 200 kph plus is not a problem here on some roads.

3. 120 kph is slow on so many roads it gets boring it's only 75 MPH. 

4. My motorbike capable of 270 Kph was very cheap.

My 1•9 Diesel truck does 170 Kph. ????

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

OK apologies for breaking down your post to points you make. no prob, I've done same in past

1. What's a firebird. 

... Pontiac Firebird Trans Am (clone of Camero)

2. 125/150 MPH like 200 kph plus is not a problem here on some roads.

... very few and only Buddha knows what is going to pull out in front of you, or be in the road (dog / kwai).  Maybe Chonburi expressway, w/radar cameras.  Why I haven't bought anything big, as the temptation would be too much.

3. 120 kph is slow on so many roads it gets boring it's only 75 MPH. 

... just my opinion, I'm no hurry, and car rarely do more anyway.  Set the cruise control 115-120 and relax.

4. My motorbike capable of 270 Kph was very cheap.

My 1•9 Diesel truck does 170 Kph. ????

... Sure the ZS would cruise comfy at 150ish, and have been up around 130 while passing, just have no desire.  Don't know what it's spec'd for, and no need to find out.

Used-1981-Pontiac-Firebird (1).jpg

Edited by KhunLA

On 10/26/2021 at 4:34 PM, Ralf001 said:

back in those days car were built to last and the buyers expected that, thats why the "jap <deleted>" was shunned when first introduced.

Japanese <deleted> were shunned when first introduced? Really? Are you being sarcastic? Or just racist? This is from an article published in 1988 from MIT's Sloan Management Review.

Manufacturing Innovation: Lessons from the Japanese Auto Industry

HE FACT THAT JAPANESE MANUFACTURERS made tremendous inroads on the global automobile market during the 1970s will surprise nobody. What may surprise many is that Toyota’s productivity rates exceeded U.S. manufacturers’ as long ago as the 1960s. Business historian Michael A. Cusumano details the spectacular developments in Japanese productivity, quality, and process flexibility that have occurred over the past thirty years.

https://sloanreview.mit.edu/article/manufacturing-innovation-lessons-from-the-japanese-auto-industry/

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 7:33 PM, sirineou said:

I remember in the seventies people calling Japanese cars "Rice burners" and laughing at them, They even had Japanese car bashing events, where the buy American crowd would bash Japanese cars with baseball bats. 

A few years later all these same people were driving Japanese cars. 

So come back in 40 yrs and we'll rate the MG, right now I'd never consider one. They don't give those cars away, so I can't see the upside. I have a feeling many MG owners will defend their purchase and tell us how wonderful they are. You get what you pay for.

On 10/26/2021 at 4:34 PM, Ralf001 said:

That's funny.  Because I had 2 MG-B's back in the late 60's, early 70's. 
Both took lots of work to keep them going.  (but fun to drive and looked good when they were working LOL)
Lucas electrical systems!  (anybody remember them? Or the T-shirts that said "No wonder the British like warm beer, they have Lucas refrigerators")

So, I have an old bias towards any car that says MG. 
They look great but just can't associate the word with something reliable.    

28 minutes ago, fiddlehead said:

That's funny.  Because I had 2 MG-B's back in the late 60's, early 70's. 
Both took lots of work to keep them going.  (but fun to drive and looked good when they were working LOL)
Lucas electrical systems!  (anybody remember them? Or the T-shirts that said "No wonder the British like warm beer, they have Lucas refrigerators")

So, I have an old bias towards any car that says MG. 

They look great but just can't associate the word with something reliable.    

15 minutes ago, Henryford said:

As a Brit i find it offensive they use the MG name and the Union flag on a piece of Chinese deleted.

You should be thankful, as stated above, they had the reliability issues, when made in the UK. 

SAIC saved a failing company, putting out cars most wouldn't buy, from bankruptcy, and produced a fine product, which apparently savvy buyers appreciate and are buying.

Brit Design, would be the last thing to inspire me to buy, and just marketing.  SAIC produced sold me, if not, I certainly wouldn't have bought MG.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1