Why so many chinese cars MG cars ? do people only care to buy something cheap, whatever is the quality ?

leba

14 minutes ago, transam said:

BMC/BL car range that were increased in power via twin carbs etc were badge MG, and I believe Riley and Wolseley.

After 1980, you will have to Google that info, but the MG Metro 6R4 was interesting in that period....????

Ahh yes, the Metro 6R4, That was a decent machine.

Not sure on those others mentioned but they are not MG's.

Anything else post 1980.... not looking good to be labeled a "performance car company".

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

What a ridiculous think to say...all of these I dustrues would benefit from EU membership. Germany stands out as being the only example of a country that has a trade surplus with China.

Not for long there in the EU and China will decimate German trade. 

13 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

37mpg is impressive.

I normally put about 560 to 600 km on a tank.  I try to drive sensibly. Worst I got was driving to Kao Yai, up and down the hills with my foot in it...lol, only got 436 on that tank.

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Ahh yes, the Metro 6R4, That was a decent machine.

Not sure on those others mentioned but they are not MG's.

Anything else post 1980.... not looking good to be labeled a "performance car company".

British Leyland put a turbo on the Mini Metro in 1982, it was badged MG, why, because it was a performance version of a basic Metro car. ????

Virtually all BMC/BL car range had an MG option, a tuned up version.

BL sports car range were all tuned up basic BL power plants.......

MGB

MGB GT

MGC 

MGB V8

MG Midget

Austin Healey 3000

Austin Healey Sprite etc..

1 minute ago, transam said:

British Leyland put a turbo on the Mini Metro in 1982, it was badged MG, why, because it was a performance version of a basic Metro car. ????

MGB

MGB GT

MGC 

MGB V8

MG Midget

Austin Healey 3000

Bug  Eye! 

MGB

MGB GT

MGC 

MGB V8

MG Midget

Austin Healey 3000

Ohhh, they had to rebadge another companies cars... Another nail in the "performance car" coffin.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Ohhh, they had to rebadge another companies cars... Another nail in the "performance car" coffin.

You really should read up on the British Motor Corporation/British Leyland controlled and owned before you post.

They were not rebadging other companies cars because they all belonged to BMC/BL.  ????

They all had the same basic power plant selection, even the sports cars were basically the same engines. There were a couple exceptions though, the Maxi comes to mind, 1500 and 1750cc overhead cam..

Well at least you are learning something today, eh...???? 

• Like 1

I wouldn't consider any of the MGs (USA versions), that I've seen and driven (MGB & midget) performance cars.  Quite the opposite, and your basic Chevy Impala would perform so much better.  MGs were cute convertibles, that's all.  Not with a good mechanical reputation. 

A stock performance car would be something like GTO or 442 back in the day.  Corvette & T-birds, some Mustangs / Shelby Cobra and such.

Getting way off track.  

MGs in Thailand

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

You really should read up on the British Motor Corporation/British Leyland controlled and owned before you post.

They were not rebadging other companies cars because they all belonged to BMC/BL.  ????

They all had the same basic power plant selection, even the sports cars were basically the same engines. There were a couple exceptions though, the Maxi comes to mind, 1500 and 1750cc overhead cam..

Well at least you are learning something today, eh...???? 

So just like MG is rebadging the LDV T60 pickup, old habits die hard !!

11 hours ago, placeholder said:

But you were replying to my posts specifically about China. If your comments weren't about China, why reply to me at all? 

image.png.cc9f0e5521db1edf3a49d03f928431e3.png

image.png.5fca76a83eaaa5aaef0eda7019cca662.png

image.png.f4873a2667b1b5f0e7c0c7de4e56625f.png

Im sorry you are having trouble understanding words.

Thank you for the many  screenshots. they confirm I am not mad.

Let me recap for you.

You said to the op:

Maybe your ideas about chinese cars are outdated.

I said to you: 

Maybe their (the op's) ideas about the world were outdated. (It is rather common here on thaivisa.)

Now, in case you still don't get it -- I was agreeing with you and taking it one step further by suggesting the op likely has many outdeated ideas.

Are we clear?

I am sorry to have taxed you.

3 hours ago, n00dle said:

Im sorry you are having trouble understanding words.

Thank you for the many  screenshots. they confirm I am not mad.

Let me recap for you.

You said to the op:

Maybe your ideas about chinese cars are outdated.

I said to you: 

Maybe their (the op's) ideas about the world were outdated. (It is rather common here on thaivisa.)

Now, in case you still don't get it -- I was agreeing with you and taking it one step further by suggesting the op likely has many outdeated ideas.

Are we clear?

I am sorry to have taxed you.

It's a pity that the words you chose didn't correspond to what you meant. You could get yourself an annotator to explain your text. Or find an audience composed solely of mindreaders. Here's a tip. Pronouns are really useful. But you shouldn't lead off with them. Clearly identify the party or parties you're targeting first.

Edited by placeholder
  • Haha 1

On 10/18/2021 at 7:47 PM, Moonlover said:

MG cars. Designed in the UK (Longbridge) to the latest European/UK safety standards. Built in Thailand, a country with a good reputation for build quality.

What's your problem @leba?

Thailand has a good reputation for build quality ??   Quality what ?, I've never seen anything built  "quality" since i have lived here

15 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

So just like MG is rebadging the LDV T60 pickup, old habits die hard !!

No, the Chinese MG truck is a Maxus T70 with no performance add-ons, very different.

The Union Jack and "Brit" on the tailgate is not a performance item, it is a Chinese sales gimmick to sell a 100% Chinese truck..

You'll catch on in the end.  ????

1 hour ago, actonion said:

Thailand has a good reputation for build quality ??   Quality what ?, I've never seen anything built  "quality" since i have lived here

From my experience, quality not different in TH than anywhere, say USA.  All put out decent, time tested quality, along with c r a p.

Products I've owned, no problem to excellent quality, all made in TH: 

Toyota Vios ????

Mazda 2 ????

MG ZS (1+ yr / 27k kms) ????

Sony camera body & lens ????

Seagate HDD ????

Anti Thai / China / SEA ... door swings both ways ... bye bye

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I wouldn't consider any of the MGs (USA versions), that I've seen and driven (MGB & midget) performance cars.  Quite the opposite, and your basic Chevy Impala would perform so much better.  MGs were cute convertibles, that's all.  Not with a good mechanical reputation. 

A stock performance car would be something like GTO or 442 back in the day.  Corvette & T-birds, some Mustangs / Shelby Cobra and such.

Getting way off track.  

MGs in Thailand

What year Chevy Impala and what V8 cc are you referring too, I mean, some did come with well over 400HP engines, in a car that could not go round corners using it....????

There were over 512,000 MGBs made during its production years, guess how many of those went to the USA.....?

Wait for it.......Near 300,000, so I think the USA liked them, except you.????

Can you tell me how many Chevy Impala's were exported to the UK...?

• Like 1

Just now, KhunLA said:

From my experience, quality not different in TH than anywhere, say USA.  All put out decent, time tested quality, along with c r a p.

Toyota Vios ????

Mazda 2 ????

Seagate HDD ????

Made or assembled in Thailand....?

18 minutes ago, transam said:

No, the Chinese MG truck is a Maxus T70 with no performance add-ons, very different.

The Union Jack and "Brit" on the tailgate is not a performance item, it is a Chinese sales gimmick to sell a 100% Chinese truck..

You'll catch on in the end.  ????

Who said the union jack badge on the back was a performance item ?

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Made or assembled in Thailand....?

You've gone beyond being a silly troll.

Name me 1 car, that is built entirely from in country parts, aside from excellent Chinese products, and even that may be pushing it, as they probably import the rubber for tires.

Although with an profile name of 'transam' and not knowing the TransAm was a Pontiac Firebird ...

... nuff said ????

BYE BYE

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Nah not me, am not  stupid enough to believe a badge adds performance, it was you that brought it up though.

Weeeeeeell, I am not going to use your word "stupid", but it seems you cannot see my point, a 100% Chinese non-performance upgraded Maxus T70 truck is adorned with the MG performance logos and Union Jack with "Brit" on it, for folk  to think it is a hopped up British MG truck.........????

On 10/18/2021 at 6:30 PM, leba said:

This world is weird...

Yeah, I agree! To me it´s very weird to have a hobby of checking and counting what car brands you see on the road. That´s something I was sitting in the window doing at the age of 6.

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You've gone beyond being a silly troll.

Name me 1 car, that is built entirely from in country parts, aside from excellent Chinese products, and even that may be pushing it, as they probably import the rubber for tires.

Although with an profile name of 'transam' and not knowing the TransAm was a Pontiac Firebird ...

... nuff said ????

BYE BYE

"I didn't know a Trans Am was a Firebird", where did you get that from, I owned one for 23 years...????...?

So no comment on the USA buying near 300,000 MGBs then, and how many Chevy Impalas were exported to the UK, or what Chevy engines you were referring too...Oh well, never mind..

17 minutes ago, transam said:

Weeeeeeell, I am not going to use your word "stupid", but it seems you cannot see my point, a 100% Chinese non-performance upgraded Maxus T70 truck is adorned with the MG performance logos and Union Jack with "Brit" on it, for folk  to think it is a hopped up British MG truck.........????

The only one that thinks a brit union jack badge is a "hop up".......

Is you.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, transam said:

Wait for it.......Near 300,000, so I think the USA liked them, except you.????

Actually US did not make any production cars of that type (Corvette was more of a Jag) so expect that is the reason so many found there way to be dumped across the sea.  It was cheaper than a Jag but at least looked sporty in a VW way but the Ford mantra of Fix Or Repair Daily seemed to apply.  Having owned the first Mustang and later an e-type Jag (and father a UK assembled Volvo ???? ) was not any more impressed with UK auto industry of the 60's than USA.

2 hours ago, actonion said:
On 10/18/2021 at 7:47 PM, Moonlover said:

MG cars. Designed in the UK (Longbridge) to the latest European/UK safety standards. Built in Thailand, a country with a good reputation for build quality.

2 hours ago, actonion said:

50 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Toyota Vios ????

Mazda 2 ????

Seagate HDD ????

Anti Thai / China / SEA ... door swings both ways ... bye bye

Thanks @KhunLA you saved me the trouble.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, transam said:

"I didn't know a Trans Am was a Firebird", where did you get that from, I owned one for 23 years...????...?

So no comment on the USA buying near 300,000 MGBs then, and how many Chevy Impalas were exported to the UK, or what Chevy engines you were referring too...Oh well, never mind..

Apologies, confused you with another poster....sorry

Haven't a clue about import / export of the 70s or 80s, as don't care.  Just know the people that I  personally know that owned the MGBs, and ones I drove, were not even close to performance vehicles, or quality made, having numerous mechanicals.

They went belly up for a reason ... nuff said

• Haha 2