Thailand ranked among the top 6 places in the world to retire

webfact

20 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Post Junta era?......... no such thing.

I don't think it is possible to find out, but I will ask this question.

How many retirees have left Thailand for good in the 7 years before 2014 compared to the seven years between 2014 and now?

20 hours ago, Farangus said:

I believe many people would like to retire in Thailand. But it seems to me that most of these people do not know about Thai requirements, laws for foreign pensioners and bureaucracy.

Or that the country has been ruled by the military at the point of a gun (figure of speech) for the last 7 years.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

Or that the country has been ruled by the military at the point of a gun (figure of speech) for the last 7 years.

Although its hardly noticeable , its not as if the army are on the streets .

Retirees  wouldnt even know who the Government are or whether they were elected or not

20 hours ago, 86Tiger said:

I don't see correlation between terms typed in search engine seeking information to the jump determining top places to retire.

Seems it would lead one to surmise there is an impression Thailand, for example, is a good place to retire.  But the information found after or during the search would determine the feasibility or desirability of the country to retire.

But that is just me.   YMMV

What does YMMV mean? Some posters want to come off their smartphone and remember they are not texting.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

The survey, titled Where the world wants to retire, found that Thailand was the most searched destination for a total of 9 countries. 

However, it was ranked number 141 in destinations retirees finally decided on staying in, one point above Saudi Arabia.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

sarcasm old  fella

If you say so. 

International airlines have returned as many as 80% of their airport slots at Thailand's six international airports between October 31st and March 26th next year, indicating their uncertainty over a recovery in the aviation sector, according to Nitinai Sirisamatthakarn, the managing director of Airports of Thailand ( ...1 day ago

19 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I had many retired friends in Thailand, many have now moved back to their home countries. What I think was a factor in that? 

Healthcare costs. 

It certainly is a factor, but I'm not sure it is the biggest. What about the unelected PM and his soldiers?

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

It certainly is a factor, but I'm not sure it is the biggest. What about the unelected PM and his soldiers?

IMHO healthcare costs have far more day-to-day impact on the average farang than does the unelected PM and his soldiers.

BTW as a Yank I presume that ALL Prime Ministers are unelected -- they are chosen by members of parliament as opposed to the direct name-on-the-ballot election of the president in the US.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Foreigners are generally unconcerned about Thai politics and who the Government is as it doesn't hardly effect them and many will never see a soldier on the streets.

20 hours ago, bkk_bwana said:

I'm no fan of the Junta.  That said how does the Junta affect a retiree?

As the government elect,  they decide changes, what to change, who pays what and what's in it for them is a good starting place.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

IMHO healthcare costs have far more day-to-day impact on the average farang than does the unelected PM and his soldiers.

BTW as a Yank I presume that ALL Prime Ministers are unelected -- they are chosen by members of parliament as opposed to the direct name-on-the-ballot election of the president in the US.

No, PMs are elected in the UK and they chose their own cabinet. I cannot say about other countries. Thailands elections and PMs are all about money as I understand it.

20 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I had many retired friends in Thailand, many have now moved back to their home countries. What I think was a factor in that? 

Healthcare costs. 

Very true, but don't forget the many immigration issues, particularly in recent years.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, vandeventer said:

I think most people would like to retire in their own country but don't have the money to do so.

I doubt they would in the UK, the main reason, maybe apart from costs would be the weather.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

Such a drama  queen.. Life is easy here buddy enjoy it. 

"then having to report to a Police dept. every 90-days and every time you move residence"

Being a retiree in Thailand is similar to being an ex prisoner on parole.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

No, PMs are elected in the UK and they chose their own cabinet. 

Prime Minister of the United Kingdom

The prime minister is appointed by the monarch, through the exercise of the royal prerogative. ...

The prime minister "...holds that position by virtue of his or her ability to command the confidence of the House of Commons, which in turn commands the confidence of the electorate, as expressed through a general election." By convention, the prime minister is also an MP and is normally the leader of the political party that commands a majority in the House of Commons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Minister_of_the_United_Kingdom

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

It's not mentioned how many people were asked if any.

Probably they used statistics or other easy papers for Interpretation.

Probably without looking into Infrastructure, crime rates, death tolls, political stability aso.

If you got enough Money in your pockets......France is beautiful.????

France is a dreadful country, I had more issues with police and security guards in 3 days than I have had in 15 years in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

France is a dreadful country, I had more issues with police and security guards in 3 days than I have had in 15 years in Thailand.

Although your three days in France is not really a conclusive reflection of the Country as a whole .

There is a whole lot more to the Country than your experience of three days there .

32 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What did you do to have so many problems in three days ? 

58 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I doubt they would in the UK, the main reason, maybe apart from costs would be the weather.

Which makes me wonder how Canada got into the no. 2 spot!  Beautiful place, but it certainly isn't warm in winter!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Aforek said:

Taking photos of the Eiffel Tower from more than a mile away and was stopped by a policeman.

Was shouted at by a security man for sitting on a step waiting for my GF who was in the toilet, there was no other seating or any people about. It was in the basement of a shopping centre.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Taking photos of the Eiffel Tower from more than a mile away and was stopped by a policeman.

Was shouted at by a security man for sitting on a step waiting for my GF who was in the toilet, there was no other seating or any people about. It was in the basement of a shopping centre.

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Very true, I have been in Canada a few times.

Ever thought of starting a diary. ?

Edited by Kadilo

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Reminds me of going for an early morning run in Philadelphia, PA, USA, a few years ago.  I was wearing a sleeveless tank top, short, short running shorts and running sandals.  I was listening to music from a little Walkman device.  It was a beautiful morning, about 7 a.m.  All of a sudden I became aware of some violent sounding shouting.  I pulled out one earbud and saw this cop all decked out in SWAT gear up ahead screaming at ME.  I yelled "Huh?"  He screamed, "Cross the road!  Cross the road, NOW."  I yelled, "Why?"  He screamed "I'm a federal agent, YOU!  Cross the road now! NOW!"  So I crossed the road and stopped.  I yelled over, "What the hell is this all about?"  It turns out that I was passing by the famous US icon known as The Liberty Bell, and was not allowed on the same side of the street lest I be a terrorist with a bomb trying to blow it and, apparently, myself up.  Of course, if you go back to my second sentence, above, you would know a bomb was impossible.  

So now I live in Thailand under a military junta.  I am not happy about that, but if I am honest, I will have to admit that, except for freedom of expression, I have a lot more freedom here than I'd have in any of the western democracies.  I can even burn trash here!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Pinot said:

I'm living on a world-class beach, on a tropical island with a woman half my age for the last 10 years. Tsk...

And you are not concerned - like many others on the way to 7/11 - that the PM is not elected? 

• Like 1