Thailand ranked among the top 6 places in the world to retire

webfact

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Very misleading headline - it's NOT 6th in the top most places to retire in, it's 6th in the most searched on google to retire in

Thanks for pointing out it’s a search of places...  I read right past.....  search  ... now the results are a different picture...Appreciated 

It's all about the individual  who retires here for what ever reason 

Quality life style affordable  good weather and so on 

You you make your  choice and live with it 

For better or worse  personally. I am enjoying  retirement here in the land of smiles ????

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Ha ha ha I lived in Vancouver and Victoria.  You only know when spring is coming when the rain feels warmer.  

To retire there is not in the cards for most.  I know many people go south to Phoenix AZ they sure don't stay here!  

It's quite popular among Canadians and I can see why after visiting there.

Retirement Ready: Retiring to Vancouver Island - Real Estate | Business in Vancouver (biv.com)

But Canada still doesn't belong on any list for people other than Canadians.

• Like 2

Yes, very misleading report.  This didn't consider anything other than how often a site came up on a Google Search.  Small countries would certainly be missed by many people.  The search results did not indicate positive or negative outcomes.  While at one time Thailand was considered one of the best places to retire, that position has dropped somewhat due to many factors - which you can easily research.

To bad 80% of international  airlines already said they aren't paying the fee to land in Thailand,  hence the tourist aren't coming Nov 01.  Bars wont be open and people will have to quarantine  at many countries  when they return  home.  I see so many business  in Pattaya attempting  to open on 01 Nov because  they believe  the propaganda  that tourist will be coming.    People have already decided  to either be domestic  tourist in their home countries,  or they have made plans to go to another  friendly  country.   Why would anyone want to retire in a country where if you arent  a local national you have no rights?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richthai said:

Yes, very misleading report.  This didn't consider anything other than how often a site came up on a Google Search.  Small countries would certainly be missed by many people.  The search results did not indicate positive or negative outcomes.  While at one time Thailand was considered one of the best places to retire, that position has dropped somewhat due to many factors - which you can easily research.

Like only Thais have rights?

4 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Having to buy an extra insurance on top of the unlimited health unlimited cover you've had for over 30 years, makes this place unusually attractive for those who enjoy gouging pain and punishment.

How much is the extra insurance you have been compelled to buy?

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

It's great as long as you don't mind having your biometric data including fingerprints gathered on arrival and kept permanently, then having to report to a Police dept. every 90-days and every time you move residence.

Then there's Immigration police BMWs patrolling which monitor foreigners using facial recognition technology. 

You may even be asked for a bribe if you interact with any of these departments as has happened to me at Samut Prakarn Immigration when attempting to renew a Non-B visa extension with work permit.

The mandatory insurance may be an issue too. 

you forgot the rat on an expat hot line!!

10 hours ago, FunkyDunky58 said:

A google search does not equal someone moving. Very misleading article. 

Surprised to see Argentina on the list, many many British people retire to Ireland, while the weather . prices are no better and some things worse there is no langauge barrer visa bs and if you don't like the south you can walk to the north or vice versa.

Post Brexit very very few places where a UK OAP with only a state penson is allowed or can afford to live, E Europe, South East Asia or such tourist hotspots as Mauretania, Haiti or Yemen!!

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Very misleading headline - it's NOT 6th in the top most places to retire in, it's 6th in the most searched on google to retire in.

Probably after searching and seeing hoops and visa laws , they decide against it !

Excellent comment, hahaha!

9 hours ago, Toscano said:

Many Men retire to Thailand for all the wrong reasons . I have been living in rural Thailand for 16 years , Thailand has good points and bad points . Thailand is trying to promote itself to top end retirees , but if I were one I can think of places I'd rather be . 

Thailand doesn't really want foreigners retiring to Thailand , but can't wait to get its hands on their money or their make a large investment .  The scrutiny of immigration lasts for as long as you stay and can be a real pain in the ass , having to report every three months . A probationary period of say five years with residency given thereafter would male us feel more welcome and secure .

The warm climate is good and a low overall cost of living is good . I would advise anybody thinking to retire in Thailand to visit for several years to suss the place out . Don't get mixed up with the women , thinking to marry and settle down , they only want you for your money and some will rob you until you have nothing left . 

A good summary of what retiring in Thailand is all about.  I wish I did my homework and followed posts of people who had lived in Thailand for years before I bought condo and transferred money to Thailand -  a BIG mistake. 

Climate is of utmost importance for me, but there are so many countries with similar climate.

Just how many people would retire in Thailand if it were not for women? 

9 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Clearly, when they get the chance to look into all the requirements and paperwork and fees etc 

it will drop out of the rankings.

don't think so - it's still a cheap place to retire and now the Brits who can't get into Europe will focus elsewhere - Thailand may look like a good deal.

Personally the politics put me off.

Argentina?

in early 2001 the peso was app. 1:1 with the US$.

In 2011 it was app. 3 peso to the US$

Today it is app. 100 pesos to the US$

As with some other South American countries the largest  industry is theft.  They need foreign money to come in, otherwise they are just stealing from their own left pocket and putting it in the right.

Otherwise it is a beautiful country.  The further away you get from cities and tourist areas the more the crime rate drops.

For you Brits, a word of caution: even though the Malvinas Falklands war was nearly 40 years ago, every so often they (meaning the governing entity) will stir the pot, especially when the economy is even worse than usual.  Things like dedicating statues to the war dead, propaganda movies, etc. ensuring people their relatives did not die in vain.

Edited by bendejo

8 hours ago, Pinot said:

I'm living on a world-class beach, on a tropical island with a woman half my age for the last 10 years. Tsk...

When you are 40 and your girlfriend is 20 she's half your age.

When you are 50 she'll be 30, 3/5 your age.

When you are 60 she'll be 40, 2/3 your age.

Before you know it she'll be older than you, get out now!

(I figure anybody who uses Groucho as an avatar would appreciate such humor)

• Haha 2

For 5 to 6 millioen Baht, you can buy a very decent condo in Rawai Phuket. For 15k, you could rent it. Peanuts  internationally seen. Food is cheap, weather is great, need your bike or aircon fixed, no problem. Sign me up. I will retire  half of the time here, the other half in Europe. 12 more years, and its my turn. Stay fit and enjoy Thailand. The country, with all its flaws, still offers a superb lifestyle unrivaled with many other places (within your budgets) That is, if you dont turn to the darkside (alcoholism).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WinterGael said:

Where do they get this info? The last three retirement blogs/reports published in retirement and financial mags didn't even have Thailand in the top 12. In Souteast Asia, the Philippines, Vietnam,  and Cambodia all listed in the top 10.  By reports, their requirements are less stringent, they are cheaper while still having comparable amenities (although health care is a work in progress), they have more vibrant economies, etc.  

All one has to do is look at the present situation in Thailand with all its schemes to realise that even the government here knows that they have dropped the ball and now must try and play catchup.

Got to respectfully  disagree with that, the amenities in the countries u have mentioned are no where near as good as Thailands,cambodia is a big step down from Thailand and is not cheaper, people are having serious problems in Vietnam with the visa situation at the moment and are leaving in huge numbers. Thailand is miles ahead of these other countries when it comes to a place for retirement, 1900 baht for a visa, how can anyone complain about that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1