Yellow book requirements

28 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm in Kalasin Province and they wanted every page of my passport photocopied and signed, and every page in it translated to Thai. And it had to be done at a place in Bangkok that they know of. I decided that not having the yellow book was easier than trying to get one (and saved me paying an 'incentive' for them to 'review their requirements'). 

I think you are referring to having the translation confirmed by the MoFA.

BB: right not to comply with that humiliation exercise. intended as two fingers to farang.would only be the start of further nonsense like perhaps “birth certificate with both parents names”…….

consider going to Provincial Amphur to report / check these ridiculous “requirements”. 

“copy passport” here can only ever mean bio page,entry card, latest visa/ extn… nothing more.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Had my Yellow Book about 10+ years. What a waste of time getting it. Not worth the hassle. Don't bother.

Not in my experience. some years ago I obtained the 30 baht health card in Bangkok using the Yellow Tabian Bahn I obtained years ago -- after some hassle I might add and phone calls to the government health office by a Thai speaker.

Also, I had no trouble last year obtaining a 2nd Yellow Book for a 2nd condo I own in a different province, from the local Amphur. No translations of Passport or letter from embassy required as reported above, just the Chanut ownership doc. Of course, this 2nd Yellow Book does not have my name in it (because my name is in the 1st Yellow Book and the name can only be in one book).

With the 2nd Yellow Book I obtained a Pink ID Card from the same Amphur which I've found useful for withdrawing cash from 2 different banks without having to show my Passport. 

Incidentally, I renewed my Retirement Non-O extension yesterday (27/10/21) and I included a copy of my Pink ID card. This and all other docs were accepted without a murmur. In and out in 35 minutes. Also obtained a Re-Entry Permit in the unlikely event (?) I can leave and return to Thailand with minimal hassle. Otherwise, I'll stay here.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I most recently used it to get local price at an attraction (Thai DL wasn’t sufficient).

I used the Thai ID on my Pink ID card to register with Mor Prom - received the vaccine on June 6th (while many without the Yellow book and Pink ID were complaining they couldn’t get the vaccine or register). 

I used the Yellow Book to open another Thai Bank Account (a couple of years ago - I don’t have a work permit)

I used the Pink ID as proof of address when renewing 5 yr Driving and Motorcycle Licence instead of obtaining an Affirmation of residence document from the Embassy (2x 2500 baht saved).

As I wrote - its proven useful, I’m glad I have it, but its also easy to get by without it its not at all necessary but definitely adds a layer of convenience to my life. 

Absolutely right. You can do anything you want without them, but having them makes things much easier and often much cheaper

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

Also, I had no trouble last year obtaining a 2nd Yellow Book for a 2nd condo I own in a different province, from the local Amphur.

I’m really surprised to hear this because the book actually registers YOU at the address and you’re legally not allowed to be registered at more than one address. The same applies to Thai people in the blue book. Probably the Amphoe not doing their job properly.

• Like 1

Fairynuff: yes indeed. the range of YB experiences detailed within this forum is quite extraordinary.

In stark contrast to the Absolute Uniformity to obtaining DLT Driving Licences !

Full range of YB Municipal treatment; from simple NO, to simple quick YES, to Rational Conditional YES, to Extremely Difficult Irrational YES.

My particular tessaban is notoriously difficult for ALL House Books, blue & yellow.

Coincidentally, my earlier Blue Book was ALSO a Complete Nightmare.

BB Reissue Required: Original BB given to me by Developer Seller was for Common Swimming Pool !

Which DID include Caretaker Apartments under Pool. 50k baht “ fee” from Developer. to correct THEIR obvious Fraud upon me. TIT big time.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

With the 2nd Yellow Book I obtained a Pink ID Card from the same Amphur which I've found useful for withdrawing cash from 2 different banks without having to show my Passport. 

as does a driving license.. 

Since the national parks formal order to not give local discounts to nat park dual pricing to pink ID card holders I have found not a single benefit to holding one, if you already have a Thai driving license. Not one. 

• Like 2

Raphael: “…….I obtained the 30 baht health card inBangkok using the Yellow Tabian Bahn “

No you Didn’t. The UCS “30 baht” Scheme is only for Thai Citizens ….who cannot hold Yellow TB.

You may have possibly, with a Work Permit, secured some form of Thai Social Security….but not UCS.

On 10/27/2021 at 8:26 AM, thaibook said:

I have recently bought a condo and would like to obtain a yellow book (tambien bahn for foreigner).  I was not offered one with the chanot as I had expected.

A house book is approval of address and register of people living on that address, it got nothing to do with a title deed for a property, for example a "chanote", aka "nor sor see (4)", title deed.

All registered addresses will have a blue house book - also a condo - but only Thais can be registered in blue house books. Aliens shall be registered in a yellow house book.

It depends widely on the local tessa ban-office what is required for an alien to be obtained in a yellow house book. Some places it's a very easy and simple procedure, other places it can be quite extensive. Where I lived to procedure was similar to permanent residence, apart from no language test, so I was allowed a translator during the interview, and I also didn't need to sing the national hymn (the staff at tessa ban shall by happy, extremely happy, that I didn't sing for them)...:whistling:

In general you'll need an authorized, and in some cases verified, translation of your passport, as your name will be rewritten with Thai characters - check with someone not knowing your name how they pronounce the Thai characters, check if it at all sounds like your name - and you will be officially registered with an ID-number...????

• Like 2

8 hours ago, crazykopite said:

OMG I never had to go through all that mine took 20 minutes to do .My Thai neighbour came with me confirmed that he had known me for ex amount of time all they wanted was the names and birthdates of my parents who had both passed some 30 years prior signed a couple of forms had my picture taken paid 200 bight was handed my yellow book and pink ID Card and was told due to my age there would be no requirement to renew either the yellow book or ID card all this happened some 4/5 years ago . I suppose it comes down to different offices have different requirements by the sounds of it I was lucky as the process was straightforward

...and every step becomes a reason to employ another civil servant and a nice little money spinner.

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Oh here we go again! There are so many ways that the yellow book makes life easier.... except for you apparently

I got it for one reason and one reason only. And that was to obtain the free farang medical scheme. Getting the Yellow Book was top priority to joining that scheme. I've never used it otherwise. Cost to me to obtain it was around 4,000 Baht.

Life In Thailand will go on with or without the Yellow Book. 

Edited by IvorBiggun2

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

I’m really surprised to hear this because the book actually registers YOU at the address and you’re legally not allowed to be registered at more than one address. The same applies to Thai people in the blue book. Probably the Amphoe not doing their job properly.

Please read my post again which clearly states "Of course, this 2nd Yellow Book does not have my name in it (because my name is in the 1st Yellow Book and the name can only be in one book)."

So to clarify. I have TWO (2) Yellow Tabian Bahn books, one for each condo, but only ONE (1) has my name in it (of course).

1 hour ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Raphael: “…….I obtained the 30 baht health card inBangkok using the Yellow Tabian Bahn “

No you Didn’t. The UCS “30 baht” Scheme is only for Thai Citizens ….who cannot hold Yellow TB.

You may have possibly, with a Work Permit, secured some form of Thai Social Security….but not UCS.

For your information, I do NOT have a work permit. But to clarify, I have a government hospital card from the designated hospital authorized by the government health hot line (which depends on the Yellow Tabian Bahn registered address) which entitles me to the same 30 baht scheme as per a Thai. I have used this to consult a doctor at this hospital and the total cost was (you guessed it) 30 BAHT.

I know exactly what I have and what I do not have. I've lived in Thailand for decades.

36 minutes ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

Please read my post again which clearly states "Of course, this 2nd Yellow Book does not have my name in it (because my name is in the 1st Yellow Book and the name can only be in one book)."

So to clarify. I have TWO (2) Yellow Tabian Bahn books, one for each condo, but only ONE (1) has my name in it (of course).

I should have also mentioned that I also have TWO (2) BLUE Tabian Bahn books for both condos, none of which have my name in them (because the BLUE book is only for Thais). My Thai wife and daughter are registered in the 1st Blue book.

Therefore, I am stating that as a foreigner who owns more than one condo I obtained both BLUE and YELLOW Tabian Bahn books for each condo, but of course the name of a Thai (Blue book) or foreigner (Yellow book) can only be in one book.

Edited by Raphael Hythlodaeus
  • Like 2

I got my yellow book shortly after getting married, I basically used the same translated paperwork from the marriage to apply for the yellow book, all that was needed was to ask a neighbor to act as a witness. Not expensive at all, I don't remember the exact price but it was less than 100b.

It has come in useful over the years, it has helped me open bank accounts, I used to get a discount at national parks, I could have used it in place of a Residency Certificate when I went to renew my driver's license, it helps prove my address when signing up for things like internet service or cable TV. 

It's not mandatory to have to get the things listed above but it sure made things go faster/easier.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I find that hard to believe.

My experience was the same---- but they wanted a Thai person (other than my wife) who had known me for more then 2 years..

No translation of Passport--- this was 10 years ago in Issan

Its difficult in Thailand with the Ampurs all having different rules.

The Yellow book is more useful for a person that doesn't have a Thai partner--- Internet/ mobile phones etc..... once again that changes from one area to another.

Have the Yellow book and the pink ID card is a walk over. Because they are dealing with a Thai number--not passport number, fits into their computers,  I found getting Pfizer Vax--renewing D/L etc etc really very easy.

• Like 1

raphael: “ I have agovernment hospital card from the designated hospital authorized by thegovernment health hot line……which entitles me to the same 30 baht scheme as Thai. I have  usedthis to consult a doctor at this hospital and the total cost was ….. 30BAHT. …….(WHEN ?) 

I know exactly what I have and what I do not have. I've lived in Thailand fordecades.”(Good For You).

right, so you seem to “have” something that no one else has and for which there is no internet trace….. one other member also mentioned this scheme….it was cancelled after one year …..so not available now, yet you imply it’s still valid….for you. Have asked  Moderator if such scheme exists..waiting for reply….if it does it’s a fantastic benefit amd I shall certainly get it too ! Somehow doubt it.

I DID find an additional YB benefit though….. no 3.3 % business tax if YB held over one year and house resided in over five years. Worth Considerably more than National Park Discounts and No COR Fees…

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

raphael: “ I have agovernment hospital card from the designated hospital authorized by thegovernment health hot line……which entitles me to the same 30 baht scheme as Thai. I have  usedthis to consult a doctor at this hospital and the total cost was ….. 30BAHT. …….(WHEN ?) 

I know exactly what I have and what I do not have. I've lived in Thailand fordecades.”(Good For You).

right, so you seem to “have” something that no one else has and for which there is no internet trace….. one other member also mentioned this scheme….it was cancelled after one year …..so not available now, yet you imply it’s still valid….for you. Have asked  Moderator if such scheme exists..waiting for reply….if it does it’s a fantastic benefit amd I shall certainly get it too ! Somehow doubt it.

I DID find an additional YB benefit though….. no 3.3 % business tax if YB held over one year and house resided in over five years. Worth Considerably more than National Park Discounts and No COR Fees…

I was assured by the designated government hospital in Bangkok that the card issued gave the same benefits as the 30 baht scheme, and that I should bring my hospital card and my Yellow Tabian Bahn book to the hospital to use the scheme.

As stated, I did exactly that last year (2020) and paid 30 BAHT for a consultation. I used it on another occasion that year but elected to pay extra for antibiotics which were not on the approved list. 

I am not interested what others have to say including the Moderator. I am telling you the FACTS with zero BS. However, it was not easy to achieve because the designated hospital initially rejected my request, and only after they talked directly to the health hot line did they consent. Maybe things have changed now.

I have not used the card since 2020 because the hospital is 40-minutes away from where I live and last time had to wait 6-hours to see a doctor because of the queue. I would use it for a more serious health issue.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

I was assured by the designated government hospital in Bangkok that the card issued gave the same benefits as the 30 baht scheme, and that I should bring my hospital card and my Yellow Tabian Bahn book to the hospital to use the scheme.

If I recall correctly you are absolutely correct. A farang after paying for a medical, including a chest xray, were given the right to the same pricing as  Thai.  

3 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

If I recall correctly you are absolutely correct. A farang after paying for a medical, including a chest xray, were given the right to the same pricing as  Thai.  

My only caveat is that things might have changed since I last used the card. It may be impossible to obtain now and mine MIGHT not work. 

All I can say with certainty is when I last used the card the hospital receptionist said my card was out of date so I had to fill in a form to apply for a new one which they did immediately. Incidentally, the hospital card contains my Thai ID number same as the Yellow Tabian Bahn.

9 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Moderator Sheryl advises that no such free / 30 baht govt. medical scheme for foreigners holding the Tabian Baan exists or has ever existed so I’ ll take that as Gospel and leave those of you that somehow had or have it with your “ deal of the century”. 

You are free to believe anyone you wish.

"Sheryl" is most definitely wrong because a friend of mine obtained a 30 baht card in Chiang Rai years ago before the system was stopped.

Updated info

9 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I got it for one reason and one reason only. And that was to obtain the free farang medical scheme. Getting the Yellow Book was top priority to joining that scheme. I've never used it otherwise. Cost to me to obtain it was around 4,000 Baht.

Life In Thailand will go on with or without the Yellow Book. 

Strange now we’re at opposite ends of the spectrum, I haven’t spent more than a couple of hundred baht

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Strange now we’re at opposite ends of the spectrum, I haven’t spent more than a couple of hundred baht

Requirements of what departments want varies great in Thailand. Always has done and nothing changes. If you live out in the sticks, as I do, the chances of getting knowledgeable assistance is a rarity. All workers at the Amphur pay for their job position and therefore service is what you'd expect.

• Thanks 1