The future is electric: your questions about EVs answered

webfact

2 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Just drove a Tesla Model 3. Only good thing is that it is so fast. It is a complicated computer on wheels, styling is average, parts are hugely expensive, if you want to wait months for them,  and wait till the government put on a distance tax in a few years ! 

Maybe in the same wan an apple computer is complicated. But if your not looking opening up the innards for an examination or looking at the code, how is the experience complicated?

2 hours ago, digger70 said:

They are a rip off everywhere ,Where are they going to get the Clean Power from? Not from Power stations (only Nuclear power plants) 

You wait and see the cost of electricity go Sky high when there are a lot off EV's coming on the road.

First off, for those who have access to a plug at their home, charging can take place at night when demand is lower and often prices are cheaper.

And worldwide more wind and solar power capacity is being built a than capacity being built for fossil fuels 

Most seem to ignore the fact that there are solar vehicles in development that will even charge in defused light, even the one in development at the moment for me would mean it would mostly be fully charged each time i wanted to use it,

Fact is i believe personal owned transport is soon to be a thing of the past, electric self driving people carriers are the future.

Edited by tingtongfarang
smelling mistakes
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

Now that auto companies are rolling out more and more electric vehicles (EVs) onto the Thai market, the real question is whether the time has come for Thai consumers to purchase an EV.

Well as someone who has purchased a hybrid my first experience was that I paid 10,000 more to get a Lexus 400H that got identical gas mileage to my Lexus 300, 330,and 350 which are the gas counterparts.  When I sold the hybrid I got the same resale value as a conventional gas. 

With electric cars being environmentally friendly I think those favoring them forget about a number of things. 
1. The mining of lithium is anything but clean and it is limited in supply

2. The electric still comes from somewhere and right now that is coal, natural gas, and nuclear.  A very small percentage of electric generation comes from wind/solar/hydro electric.
3. A gasoline vehicle that suffers an accident and spills gas is not a problem as it quickly evaporates.  An electric vehicle that spills the lithium from its battery calls for a hazmat crew and the battery contents flow into the soil.
4. The batteries like all batteries have a lifespan making the vehicles next to worthless as they approach the expiration date of the battery.
5. I can pump my tank with petrol in 5 minutes or less.  Unless and until battery charging becomes significantly faster I can't picture cars queued up waiting for a charge. 
6. If you run out of petrol on the street it is pretty simple to obtain a container of fuel from a station and put enough in to get you to a service station.  Would service trucks now need a generator to service stranded electric vehicle. 

7. Those spent batteries at the end of their lifespan will have to be removed and hopefully recycled.  I can't think of anything more environmentally contaminating than the manufacture and recycling of batteries. 

Perhaps EV are the future however it would not surprise me in 10 years we start to get studies on the harmful effects of all the electric current around us.  There are already questions about the continued use of a cell phone let alone a car filled with batteries that you sit in for hours at a time. 
image.png.88104cdbc857b5ef7d68b2bccb1da9a7.png

What could possibly go wrong? 
image.png.5c058bb2b94387a03ed96bca14fd6936.png

Edited by Longwood50
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sounds like a good idea. Except how many different battery models will all those cars have?

Looking now at mobile phones and how many different battery models they use gives us a good idea how that will work...

There will need to be some different types - and that's one of the arguments that the car manufacturers will try to use. If they get together, they can sort that out.  Service stations provide several different types of fuel already and its not a problem.

8 minutes ago, tingtongfarang said:

Most seem to ignore the fact that there are solar vehicles in development that will even charge in defused light, even the one in development at the moment for me would mean it would mostly be fully charged each time i wanted to use it,

Fact is i believe personal owned transport is soon to be a thing of the past, electric self driving people carriers are the future.

I feel you VN but i think we will be weaned away from owning our own vehicles or at least vehicle sharing will be a thing, I enjoy having a car and motocycs  outside as much as anyone but just being realistic.

42 minutes ago, placeholder said:

First off, for those who have access to a plug at their home, charging can take place at night when demand is lower and often prices are cheaper.

And worldwide more wind and solar power capacity is being built a than capacity being built for fossil fuels 

Haven't seen Cheaper night power in Thailand .

Price of electricity Will go Up & Up

Solar and wind isn't going to Cut it .

Nuclear power is the way to go.

Or Forget about EV's and go Hydrogen in Combustion engines.

Then No Extra massive  rip off costs to the people.

1 minute ago, digger70 said:

did you ever consider changing your name to Nostradamus? ????

1 minute ago, digger70 said:

Why did renewables become so cheap so fast?

Fossil fuels dominate the global power supply because until very recently electricity from fossil fuels was far cheaper than electricity from renewables. This has dramatically changed within the last decade. In most places in the world power from new renewables is now cheaper than power from new fossil fuels.

https://ourworldindata.org/cheap-renewables-growth

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Why did renewables become so cheap so fast?

Fossil fuels dominate the global power supply because until very recently electricity from fossil fuels was far cheaper than electricity from renewables. This has dramatically changed within the last decade. In most places in the world power from new renewables is now cheaper than power from new fossil fuels.

https://ourworldindata.org/cheap-renewables-growth

You can believe what you like but I can tell you now that the price of electricity will go up .

Not what they say ,they say that renewable power will be cheaper and cheaper for the people . Never going to happen  unless the Govment pays for the power and that ain't going to happen either.

2 minutes ago, digger70 said:

You can believe what you like but I can tell you now that the price of electricity will go up .

Not what they say ,they say that renewable power will be cheaper and cheaper for the people . Never going to happen  unless the Govment pays for the power and that ain't going to happen either.

generate your own power

• Like 1

Just now, digger70 said:

Where do you get your information from? Any terrestrial sources?

Majority of New Renewables Undercut Cheapest Fossil Fuel on Cost

The share of renewable energy that achieved lower costs than the most competitive fossil fuel option doubled in 2020, a new report by the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) shows. 162 gigawatts (GW) or 62 per cent of total renewable power generation added last year had lower costs than the cheapest new fossil fuel option.

https://www.irena.org/newsroom/pressreleases/2021/Jun/Majority-of-New-Renewables-Undercut-Cheapest-Fossil-Fuel-on-Cost

And this was when gas and coal were cheap.

Does the word "evidence" ring any bells for you?

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Where do you get your information from? Any terrestrial sources?

Majority of New Renewables Undercut Cheapest Fossil Fuel on Cost

The share of renewable energy that achieved lower costs than the most competitive fossil fuel option doubled in 2020, a new report by the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) shows. 162 gigawatts (GW) or 62 per cent of total renewable power generation added last year had lower costs than the cheapest new fossil fuel option.

https://www.irena.org/newsroom/pressreleases/2021/Jun/Majority-of-New-Renewables-Undercut-Cheapest-Fossil-Fuel-on-Cost

And this was when gas and coal were cheap.

Does the word "evidence" ring any bells for you?

Fudged ,you believe what you like .you wait and see what Will Happen.

14 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Just out of interest , what will happen to the million gas station workers sat on their stools, two to a pump waiting for your arrival to give you petrol if you can charge your car at home ? 

Well, the world will lose some gas station attendants.

22 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Thanks for the overwhelming and astonishing lack of evidence. 

What don't you understand about the fact that it already has happened and is continuing to happen?

Why do you say Lack of evidence? Don't you see what's happening?

It Isn't happening ,Everything is going Up in Costs/Price .

EV's are a rip off. They say Cheaper power ,Never happen ,the price  of electricity is going one way ,UP . 

One want's to be a Fool to believe what they say is so called evidence  be my guest . End of discussion . ????

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

The American Petroleum Institute, one of the largest oil and gas lobbying organizations in the United States appreciates you parroting their propaganda.

Fact is, the cost of a kilowatt of coal and fossil fuel power continues to rise as the cost of solar continues to fall.

Of course the oil and coal industry are interested in survival, with a single-minded focus on their financial success, and without regard for the damage they do, rewarding lawmakers with campaign funds & hiring publicists to put out a continuous stream of disinformation, using the same playbook the tobacco companies did when they were denying cigarettes cause cancer.

Edited by LarrySR
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Why do you say Lack of evidence? Don't you see what's happening?

It Isn't happening ,Everything is going Up in Costs/Price .

EV's are a rip off. They say Cheaper power ,Never happen ,the price  of electricity is going one way ,UP . 

One want's to be a Fool to believe what they say is so called evidence  be my guest . End of discussion . ????

Because the price of sunlight and wind is going up?

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

Fact is, the cost of a kilowatt of coal and fossil fuel power continues to rise as the cost of solar continues to fall.

The thing with solar is it's piggy backing off what electric users have and are paying for.

17 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Because the price of sunlight and wind is going up?

When the wind turbines turn real slow or stand still or spin to fast. or the sun does not shine for very long

Yes the price does go up, just look at Germany on this one 

Ps, Nuclear fusion is the way forward, just need to do it and make it safe !!!!!!!!!!!!!,

Come on boffins of the world stop working for the bad guys

and sort it out. !!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL.

Edited by Orinoco

2 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

Well as someone who has purchased a hybrid my first experience was that I paid 10,000 more to get a Lexus 400H that got identical gas mileage to my Lexus 300, 330,and 350 which are the gas counterparts.  When I sold the hybrid I got the same resale value as a conventional gas. 

With electric cars being environmentally friendly I think those favoring them forget about a number of things. 
1. The mining of lithium is anything but clean and it is limited in supply

2. The electric still comes from somewhere and right now that is coal, natural gas, and nuclear.  A very small percentage of electric generation comes from wind/solar/hydro electric.
3. A gasoline vehicle that suffers an accident and spills gas is not a problem as it quickly evaporates.  An electric vehicle that spills the lithium from its battery calls for a hazmat crew and the battery contents flow into the soil.
4. The batteries like all batteries have a lifespan making the vehicles next to worthless as they approach the expiration date of the battery.
5. I can pump my tank with petrol in 5 minutes or less.  Unless and until battery charging becomes significantly faster I can't picture cars queued up waiting for a charge. 
6. If you run out of petrol on the street it is pretty simple to obtain a container of fuel from a station and put enough in to get you to a service station.  Would service trucks now need a generator to service stranded electric vehicle. 

7. Those spent batteries at the end of their lifespan will have to be removed and hopefully recycled.  I can't think of anything more environmentally contaminating than the manufacture and recycling of batteries. 

Perhaps EV are the future however it would not surprise me in 10 years we start to get studies on the harmful effects of all the electric current around us.  There are already questions about the continued use of a cell phone let alone a car filled with batteries that you sit in for hours at a time. 
image.png.88104cdbc857b5ef7d68b2bccb1da9a7.png

What could possibly go wrong? 
image.png.5c058bb2b94387a03ed96bca14fd6936.png

that's for the TSLA electric submarines.

8 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

When the wind turbines turn real slow or stand still or spin to fast. or the sun does not shine for very long

Ps, Nuclear fusion is the way forward, just need to do it and make it safe !!!!!!!!!!!!!,

Actually, whole power prices in Germany have been on the decline in recent years. Not coincidentally, so has the cost of wind power and solar.

Most of what Germans pay is government imposed surcharges and taxes.

https://www.cleanenergywire.org/factsheets/what-german-households-pay-power#:~:text=Power prices in Germany are,the country's energy transition regardless.

16 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Wholesale energy prices have risen significantly in Germany, with oil prices increasing by as much as 53 percent. Gas prices haven’t risen as steeply but still recorded an increase of 15 percent. Verivox calculated the weighted price increase of both energy sources (according to their use) to be 26 percent in one year. "The price rally in fossil fuels is fuelling inflation and driving household costs of living up," Storck said. 

https://www.iamexpat.de/expat-info/german-expat-news/cost-energy-germany-highest-level-2012