Phuket busy with foreign tourists, Thai media reports

webfact

2 hours ago, Rhacsyn said:

Sorry to hear that the business where your ex works is struggling. On the other hand, I guess we are lucky, and I am happy to report that the outlets we have there are most certainly busy along with a number of others. Beach road traffic is continuous. As posted earlier I am sitting there now watching the world go by as well as watching people eating and drinking and yes, spending money. It really is something to be thankful for and a huge but welcome relief after 18 awful months.

how much of what people are seeing is actually local population finally being let out of their cage and allowed to go out - people do actually live in Phuket you know, I believe the figure is around 500k, an extra 2000 foreign tourists is hardly much to write home about in the grand scheme of things, I read the same confusion from some people living in Pattaya - it's busy - it's rammed when in fact 90% of the city is barron and shuttered

I thought all bars were closed and alcoholic was Banned. ?? or does Phuket not come under Thai Law from the one on high.

The Bar Girls look like the outnumber tourist by 12 of them too all     three tourist and the tourist didn't look that interested either.

1 hour ago, Black Angus said:

I thought all bars were closed and alcoholic was Banned. ?? or does Phuket not come under Thai Law from the one on high.

The Bar Girls look like the outnumber tourist by 12 of them too all     three tourist and the tourist didn't look that interested either.

Restaurants can still serve alcohol, but opening bars has been delayed until the 15th of this month. Bars are ignoring this (quite rightly) and there's no appetite to enforce the rules by the Or Bor Tors, or the police.

8 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Yep the post is accurate. Patong and areas all the way north to Boat Avenue BTao have definitely picked up. Patong early this morning for gym and there are definitely way more foreigners wandering about, and new tourist faces in the gym too. Not pre-pandemic levels but definitely not the ghost town it has been for over a year and a half. 

That seems to be more like what the pictures and videos are showing. More than nobody but far away from normal. Which is good, it was normally a zoo.

16 hours ago, sungod said:

mate was there last week, Bangla very busy.

I heard the same, Phuket has quite a big young foreign population who go out for fun, not necessarily for the girl scene.  I never saw that in Pattaya area for example. 

18 hours ago, webfact said:

The media didn't seem to have asked anyone in Soi Bangla anything but a picture showed scantily clad employees trying to entice customers in the street. 

When was the Photo shown in the OP and by the media taken?  The numbers reported by all the different agencies on the Test and Go and such arrivals ranges from just under 5k for the first 3 days versus expectations of 13k, or 15k, or even 30k.  Can these people get on the same page and be at least clear and transparent.  Self serving son of a biatches they truly are...

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, huuwi said:

yo mr B. hope you not getting in trouble back home.

Looks like a long way to go.  Wonder how many of the folks were just local expats happy to return to what they did before Covid.  Looks pretty tame and more workers and Thai's out enjoying themselves.

15 hours ago, Rhacsyn said:

Sorry to hear that the business where your ex works is struggling. On the other hand, I guess we are lucky, and I am happy to report that the outlets we have there are most certainly busy along with a number of others. Beach road traffic is continuous. As posted earlier I am sitting there now watching the world go by as well as watching people eating and drinking and yes, spending money. It really is something to be thankful for and a huge but welcome relief after 18 awful months.

The outlets you have, I take this as you being a bar or restaurant owner. Then yes you are lucky but spare a thought for the rest of Phuket that is suffering and still closed. 

18 hours ago, chercheur888 said:

I can confirm that NAI HAN beach was extremely busy, nearly no space between all the occupied sun loungers, all occupied by 10's of thousands of genuine tourists from all over the world.

On the other hand, NAI HARN beach was practically empty of tourists.

They don't even know the name of the beaches, must have been there via META

Since it's real name is not written in English, there is no right or wrong way to spell it in English. Signs written in English  all over Thailand often have multiple spellings for the same place name

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TTSIssues said:

I guess most of the posters on this site just sit at home in isaan and moan on the internet, as clearly none if you have been to phuket or Bangla in the last few days. Bangla is very busy again, as is the surrounding area. No 6 restaurant is full every time I pass it for example.

personally I much prefer it quieter but there you go! 

Is this Photo a recent one or a library one? Just I thought this is not the kind of tourist pic the PM would be happy about these days. That's looks like a girly bar to me. maybe wrong as I haven't been to one in quite a while. ha!

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Looks like a long way to go.  Wonder how many of the folks were just local expats happy to return to what they did before Covid.  Looks pretty tame and more workers and Thai's out enjoying themselves.

Or you could just take the word of eye witnesses.

59 minutes ago, sungod said:

Or you could just take the word of eye witnesses.

I did, and it's not as it's portrayed. So try again.  I do have friends who live in Patong, Kata, Karon and Rawai.

Take some photos for us if you live there and prove us wrong regarding our posts. View the video also posted 

Edited by ThailandRyan

I think the big problem is people are using subjective terms like “doing great” and “ghost town”.   

From a numbers perspective, even Bangla Road is only doing a small percentage of business compared to Nov 2019.  

Of course, Thailand has only been “open” for four days so that’s to be expected.  

But anybody trying to tell you things are busy is delusional.  Maybe compared to Nov 2020.  LOL.  

I was down in Patong two weeks ago before things reopened and maybe (and I’m being really, really generous) 30% of the bars/businesses on Bangla were open.  

I was with a buddy who was returning via the sandbox and he used to live in Patong 10 years ago and he just shook his head and commented that there used to be more foot traffic on Bangla at noon on a Tuesday than there was at 9pm on a Saturday.  

So, yes, it’s a ghost town compared to anytime pre-Covid.  7-11s are still closed, most businesses are still closed, etc.  

But it’s a hell of a lot better than it’s been in the last year and a half.  Some bars are open, there are some girls (definitely not the A-Team), island tours are being offered, and you can get a massage.  

Actual photos of Bangla Road / Patong Beach area from around 1pm today.  

4B86C888-73A4-469E-BDF5-2C257C4441A0.jpeg

1E8A3C28-765A-418B-92F2-840EC5E62DF6.jpeg

66117147-CFEB-4CD3-91E7-27E8ECEBCEF6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, geisha said:

I heard the same, Phuket has quite a big young foreign population who go out for fun, not necessarily for the girl scene.  I never saw that in Pattaya area for example. 

Many come from the Muay Thai training locations to unwind.  Lived there for many years. Talked to a few friends who work in the Muay Thai facilities just this week. Yes it is open and very tame.  Friend of mine owns the entire Laguna Plaza in Rawai, not many places inside are open.

15 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I did, and it's not as it's portrayed. So try again.  I do have friends who live in Patong, Kata, Karon and Rawai.

Take some photos for us if you live there and prove us wrong regarding our posts. View the video also posted 

Suggest you read the thread again from people who are actually there. Rather the keyboard warrior from Bangkok who cant stomach positive news.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I live in Rawai and it is busier here than it’s been in a while.  

That said, that trend started during the sandbox once people figured out that Patong, Kata, and Karon were nearly deserted and Rawai was still semi-open.  

But I took a drive down Soi Ta-iad in Chalong today and I saw a whopping total of 5 foreigners.  

3 minutes ago, sungod said:

Suggest you read the thread again from people who are actually there. Rather the keyboard warrior from Bangkok who cant stomach positive news.

I just posted photos from 1pm today around Bangla Road.  Am I a keyboard warrior for agreeing that the numbers don’t seem anywhere near as positive as some people claim? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, digibum said:

I just posted photos from 1pm today around Bangla Road.  Am I a keyboard warrior for agreeing that the numbers don’t seem anywhere near as positive as some people claim? 

Not a keyboard warrior, but a little strange in expecting 1pm to be the same as later at night.

15 minutes ago, digibum said:

I think the big problem is people are using subjective terms like “doing great” and “ghost town”.   

From a numbers perspective, even Bangla Road is only doing a small percentage of business compared to Nov 2019.  

Of course, Thailand has only been “open” for four days so that’s to be expected.  

But anybody trying to tell you things are busy is delusional.  Maybe compared to Nov 2020.  LOL.  

I was down in Patong two weeks ago before things reopened and maybe (and I’m being really, really generous) 30% of the bars/businesses on Bangla were open.  

I was with a buddy who was returning via the sandbox and he used to live in Patong 10 years ago and he just shook his head and commented that there used to be more foot traffic on Bangla at noon on a Tuesday than there was at 9pm on a Saturday.  

So, yes, it’s a ghost town compared to anytime pre-Covid.  7-11s are still closed, most businesses are still closed, etc.  

But it’s a hell of a lot better than it’s been in the last year and a half.  Some bars are open, there are some girls (definitely not the A-Team), island tours are being offered, and you can get a massage.  

Actual photos of Bangla Road / Patong Beach area from around 1pm today.  

4B86C888-73A4-469E-BDF5-2C257C4441A0.jpeg

1E8A3C28-765A-418B-92F2-840EC5E62DF6.jpeg

66117147-CFEB-4CD3-91E7-27E8ECEBCEF6.jpeg

You may wish to add this photo to the portfolio. Last night on Bangla. Pretty busy! I have many more. Virtually all bars on Bangla are now open or opening. That is as of 14:30 today. For those who know the area, all bars on Soi Sea Dragon, for example, have now been rented so people do see things picking up in this business area and this part of Phuket.

20211103_214304.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rhacsyn said:

You may wish to add this photo to the portfolio. Last night on Bangla. Pretty busy! I have many more. Virtually all bars on Bangla are now open or opening. That is as of 14:30 today. For those who know the area, all bars on Soi Sea Dragon, for example, have now been rented so people do see things picking up in this business area and this part of Phuket.

20211103_214304.jpg

However, again, we’re talking subjective classifications.  

I would not call that “pretty busy” compared to what it once was.  

I would be more prone to label it, “Not exactly dead anymore.”   I remember nights on Bangla where it was hard to even walk down the road because there were so many people packed in there.  

That doesn’t mean that I’m right or that you’re wrong.  But I do think this explains why some people are claiming it’s dead and some people are claiming it’s busy.  

It depends on perspective.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, sungod said:

Not a keyboard warrior, but a little strange in expecting 1pm to be the same as later at night.

I didn’t say I expect them to be the same.  

I’m saying that there’s usually some sort of correlation between how busy Patong is during the day and how lively it is at night.  

This is how busy Patong is during the day.  People can make up their own minds about how busy it gets at night.  

Even from the supposedly “pretty busy” nightlife photos that have been posted, there used to be more staff working in the bars than I’ve seen tourists on Bangla Road.  

Bangla Road used to measure tourists in the thousands per evening.  Based on the nighttime photos, it’s more like hundreds nowadays.   

Is that better than almost zero people when everything was locked down?  Yes!!  

But it’s not “pretty busy” to anyone that’s been there pre-Covid.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, digibum said:

I didn’t say I expect them to be the same.  

I’m saying that there’s usually some sort of correlation between how busy Patong is during the day and how lively it is at night.  

This is how busy Patong is during the day.  People can make up their own minds about how busy it gets at night.  

Even from the supposedly “pretty busy” nightlife photos that have been posted, there used to be more staff working in the bars than I’ve seen tourists on Bangla Road.  

Bangla Road used to measure tourists in the thousands per evening.  Based on the nighttime photos, it’s more like hundreds nowadays.   

Is that better than almost zero people when everything was locked down?  Yes!!  

But it’s not “pretty busy” to anyone that’s been there pre-Covid.  

Dont think anyone is expecting pre covid levels for sometime, but its a big step in the right direction, thats for sure.

2 minutes ago, sungod said:

Dont think anyone is expecting pre covid levels for sometime, but its a big step in the right direction, thats for sure.

I don’t think most people are denying that.

Personally though, I think some people are using descriptions that could give other people a completely distorted view of reality.  

Realistically, the only way the phrase “pretty busy” should be used to describe Bangla Road right now is if that phrase is followed by “compared to how dead it was before.”   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sungod said:

Never said it was not positive now did I.  You do love to spin words used to suit your view.  I said:

"Looks like a long way to go.  Wonder how many of the folks were just local expats happy to return to what they did before Covid.  Looks pretty tame and more workers and Thai's out enjoying themselves"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Never said it was not positive now did I.  You do love to spin words used to suit your view.  I said:

"Looks like a long way to go.  Wonder how many of the folks were just local expats happy to return to what they did before Covid.  Looks pretty tame and more workers and Thai's out enjoying themselves"

And I said believe the eye witnesses who are actually there, little more credible than someone in Bangkok making opinions based on a photo no?

• Confused 1