Netflix registration for dummies

Toolong

Getting a bit embarrassed by posting queries on this site about the most basic stuff I OUGHT to know but don't!

Netflix - how do I (most easily) pay to access it ?

I haven't got a credit card.

Am familiar with the pricing & packages etc, and would want the premium package which is 419 or so baht pm (I believe).

Read somewhere about Netflix gift cards from 7-11. 

Not having a credit card, sounds to me like a sound option. 

Has anyone used such cards? 

By using them, am I being a bit of a mug? Are there much cheaper ways to go about getting netflix? 

I have heard of people using vpn things to access it. For a chump like me at this stuff, that's advanced, next-level stuff. Your recommendations would be welcome, but you're advised to explain it to me as if I were a two year old. ????

Have had 3bb packages recommended to me and it does sound very interesting, but was gonna go for netflix first as I believe you're not bound to contracts etc. 

Cheers.

• Like 1

Like me try to share an account with a friend,  maybe this friend have a credit card, problem solved.

Or you could try an app called Plex, which is free, but of course not as good as Netflix.

Hope you will solve this small problem.

By the way we pay 1 year ahead which is  much cheaper.

10 minutes ago, pitufikken said:

Like me try to share an account with a friend,  maybe this friend have a credit card, problem solved.

Or you could try an app called Plex, which is free, but of course not as good as Netflix.

Yes, I have heard of the shared account thing. I think it is the premium package, yes? Where people can log in to the same account on different devices at the same time? 

Sounds good. I just need someone to agree to share an account with me! I'll ask around our neighbourhood. ????????

17 minutes ago, pitufikken said:

eh, one is a streaming provider for movies and shows (Netflix)

and the other is a personal server  setupfor streaming your own videos to yourself (Plex)

you can compare Kodi (XBMC) and Plex but not Plex and Netflix,

if your own Plex server sucks more than Netflix, it's your fault but mine certainly doesn't

• Like 1

now, if you don't have a credit card (or a Visa Debit card) then you could just use those Netflix cards, I suppose

making the account doesn't require a card as far as I know but.. It's been a long time that I haven't messed around with Netflix, they gave me a free month access once or twice and wasn't able to find anything that I would watch on their rubbish selection apart from a few standup specials..

the free month ended and I watched absolutely nothing both times

Mastercard/Visa Debit card works fine with Netflix. Or buy the cards at 7-11, it's the same price either way. Since Bangkok Bank blocked all international transactions after all those people lost money, I had to buy a Netflix e-gift card on amazon and renew my membership using a VPN which cost me a few bucks more than it does in Thailand but I rarely go to 7-11 and didn't want to make a special trip just for that. 

Edited by Ohyesuare

22 minutes ago, kekalot said:

and the other is a personal server  setupfor streaming your own videos to yourself (Plex)

if your own Plex server sucks more than Netflix, it's your fault but mine certainly doesn't

555 thanks

You saved me the trouble to search Plex as it is always good to have a freebie....but obviously not te same as Netflix ????

Do you have an account with AIS, DTAC or True?

How to pay for Netflix

Choose a plan that meets your needs and your budget. As a Netflix member, you are charged once a month on the date you signed up

There are several options to pay for Netflix.

Credit and Debit Cards

We accept the following cards, which must be enabled for recurring e-commerce transactions.

NOTE:

You may need to enable your card for international transactions.
  • Visa

• MasterCard

• American Express

Virtual Cards

We accept virtual cards in select markets. If your virtual card is declined, please choose a different payment method.

Prepaid Cards

We accept prepaid cards with the following logos.

• Visa

• MasterCard

• American Express

Netflix Gift Cards

A Netflix gift card is a great choice when you want to give the gift of Netflix, or if you prefer to use cash to prepay your own subscription.

• You can purchase Netflix gift cards at select retailers.

• You can redeem multiple gift cards on your account.

Mobile Wallets

• TrueMoney

Partner Payments

The following partners allow you to add Netflix to their bill.

41 minutes ago, kekalot said:

now, if you don't have a credit card (or a Visa Debit card) then you could just use those Netflix cards, I suppose

making the account doesn't require a card as far as I know but.. It's been a long time that I haven't messed around with Netflix, they gave me a free month access once or twice and wasn't able to find anything that I would watch on their rubbish selection apart from a few standup specials..

the free month ended and I watched absolutely nothing both times

Apparently no more free trials. I don't know how long ago you used it but I think - not sure - it's got a bit better. But if I paid for a month and didn't like it....well, no harm done. ????

if your own Plex server sucks more than Netflix, it's your fault but mine certainly doesn't.

@kekalotyou are right.. I am connected to a Nas server that has Plex. They are not the same.

But it brought a lot of members out of the shades, and in the end, OP will have his problem solved.

It has some advantages to be a member.????

39 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Mastercard/Visa Debit card works fine with Netflix. Or buy the cards at 7-11, it's the same price either way. Since Bangkok Bank blocked all international transactions after all those people lost money, I had to buy a Netflix e-gift card on amazon and renew my membership using a VPN which cost me a few bucks more than it does in Thailand but I rarely go to 7-11 and didn't want to make a special trip just for that. 

I don't really understand the bit about renewing membership using a vpn tbh, .....but the card stuff I do get......and will try it, hoping it is idiot-proof simple! ????????Thanks!

You don't want to get mixed up with a 3BB gigaTV package, the box is not great, and you are tied for a year for HBO Max, which isn't so impressive, I think there was just one western channel, maybe another that offered old movies with a choice of Thai soundtracks. They will hold you to you to year, and you need to buy yourself out.

Netflix is a better deal, the first month is free, you can just "hop off" whenever you like, they pester you after and offer deals for 99B a month, but that's about as bad as it gets. The content is a bit generic tho'

I never thought I needed one, but I paid 2 years upfront for a Surfshark VPN, 2000B, and now I have access to lots of catchup services, from BBC, ITV, C4 - My current fave is SbS on demand. 

Usually use those gift cards which can be purchased from 7eleven.

Through a browser register in Netflix with an email and enter the gift scratch card number and then choose one of the 3 different packages varying in price.

"For Netflix currently in Thailand there are 3 subscription levels; ‘Basic’ at 280 Baht a month for Standard Definition on 1 screen, ‘Standard’ at 350 Baht a month for High Definition on 2 screens and ‘Premium’ at 420 Baht a month for 4K (ultra high definition) on 4 screens (so you can have people using the same subscription watching content on a smartphone, tablet and a couple of laptops plugged into TVs at the same time, for example)"

Easy. Just buy Netflix top up cards in 7-11. They are normally with all those Google top up cards.

One thing worth remembering is this. Netflix shows some different content in different regions. If you want to watch stuff on the US or UK Netflix sites you will indeed need to get either a VPN or an Unblocker.

Edited by phetphet

21 minutes ago, recom273 said:

You don't want to get mixed up with a 3BB gigaTV package, the box is not great, and you are tied for a year for HBO Max, which isn't so impressive, I think there was just one western channel, maybe another that offered old movies with a choice of Thai soundtracks. They will hold you to you to year, and you need to buy yourself out.

Netflix is a better deal, the first month is free, you can just "hop off" whenever you like, they pester you after and offer deals for 99B a month, but that's about as bad as it gets. The content is a bit generic tho'

I never thought I needed one, but I paid 2 years upfront for a Surfshark VPN, 2000B, and now I have access to lots of catchup services, from BBC, ITV, C4 - My current fave is SbS on demand. 

Hi recom273,

Thanks for your comments. 

Yeah, I've experienced being stuck in a contract and how difficult they can make it to shake 'em off. 

So I like what you say about the 'looser' deal with netflix.

Just not being savvy about all the options out there, I know I'll always pay more, at first anyway, than those who are hip to the deals & the tech side of it. Oh, well.

I know, maybe soon, I'm gonna be interested in the vpn stuff. The one you mention, surfshark, 2000 baht, sounds like it could be great. I will research that a bit myself and maybe even ask you more about it later, if you don't mind. 

Thanks.????????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Usually use those gift cards which can be purchased from 7eleven.

Through a browser register in Netflix with an email and enter the gift scratch card number and then choose one of the 3 different packages varying in price.

"For Netflix currently in Thailand there are 3 subscription levels; ‘Basic’ at 280 Baht a month for Standard Definition on 1 screen, ‘Standard’ at 350 Baht a month for High Definition on 2 screens and ‘Premium’ at 420 Baht a month for 4K (ultra high definition) on 4 screens (so you can have people using the same subscription watching content on a smartphone, tablet and a couple of laptops plugged into TVs at the same time, for example)"

Hi userabcd,

Khop kun khap! That's the absolutely simple, easy-to-grasp info I needed. Thanks. ????

I would go for the premium, not cos I'm a high-roller, but cos I darned well just bought a 4k TV and so I want to USE it! ????

I think I read somewhere the cards come at different prices - obviously! - but not 420 baht for example. So the card's 500 (I think). So netflix hopes you'll buy another card to use the credit left? Or makes a few bucks if I don't get a new card? Ain't complaining. Fine with that. Just wondered if that's how it is.

????????

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Easy. Just buy Netflix top up cards in 7-11. They are normally with all those Google top up cards.

One thing worth remembering is this. Netflix shows some different content in different regions. If you want to watch stuff on the US or UK Netflix sites you will indeed need to get either a VPN or an Unblocker.

Ahh...phetphet....for some reason I only saw half your post at first! Just read the half I missed, about regions & vpns. 

Yes, interesting. I feel like I'm gonna be wanting to know more about vpns real soon! 

Actually, you can count on it! But I'll try the cards first and then no doubt see how much more I'm paying than I could be if I had my act together! ????

17 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Hi userabcd,

Khop kun khap! That's the absolutely simple, easy-to-grasp info I needed. Thanks. ????

I would go for the premium, not cos I'm a high-roller, but cos I darned well just bought a 4k TV and so I want to USE it! ????

I think I read somewhere the cards come at different prices - obviously! - but not 420 baht for example. So the card's 500 (I think). So netflix hopes you'll buy another card to use the credit left? Or makes a few bucks if I don't get a new card? Ain't complaining. Fine with that. Just wondered if that's how it is.

????????

yes, there are different priced cards I just buy the 500 Baht one and it lasts for about 1.5 months of viewing.

When you enter the gift card number say 500 baht it lets you use the full value of the card (500 baht/350 baht = the time for viewing netflix shows) so it would give you about 6 weeks of viewing with the 350 baht package. No need to enter a new card until the 500 baht is used up and they notify you by email to top up if you want. The info is also available in your netflix account connected with your email when your current package end date will be. 

When one tires of the netflix shows just stop entering new gift card numbers and a few months later just restart again when Netflix is showing newer stuff.

Edited by userabcd

2 minutes ago, userabcd said:

yes, there are different priced cards I just buy the 500 Baht one and it lasts for about 1.5 months of viewing.

When you enter the gift card number say 500 baht it lets you use the full value of the card so it would give you about 6 weeks of viewing with the 350 baht package. No need to enter a new card until the 500 baht is used up and they notify you by email to top up if you want. The info is also available in your netflix account connected with your email;.

When one tires of the netflix shows just stop entering new gift card numbers and a few months later just restart again when Netflix is showing newer stuff.

That all makes so much sense! I like it.

Thanks for the info. That's the stuff I needed. And I like the tip at the end about pausing netflix when you've exhausted their supply! (And I know that can happen quite quickly....not all the movies are that great!) 

Appreciate that userabcd! ????

KODI is pretty awesome.  If you have a good internet connection and the patience to set it up and maintain the add ons.  Which isn't really difficult considering all the tutorials that are online.  Everything you ever wanted is there.

14 hours ago, kekalot said:

Your description of Plex is not quite accurate. Plex is a video and TV streaming service that does have a separate media player app that you can download to your device, which helps you organize and play the personal content you have on that device.

My Android HiSense TV has the Netflix, HBO Go, Tubi and Plex Apps pre-installed. They each provide video streaming content. Netflix and HBO Go require a paid subscription, while Tubi and Plex are free services. Paid services offer a higher quality content and a more diverse selection than free services, which is basically the only difference between Netflix and Plex. 

Thailand Netflix price is cheaper than the original website price. I knew very late ????

Now my son bored netflix cartoons and I bought Disney plus via AIS promotion. 49B/ month and 499B/yr.  If you have AIS sim phone, it is easy to buy from my AIS app.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 6:41 AM, Jeffr2 said:

KODI is pretty awesome.  If you have a good internet connection and the patience to set it up and maintain the add ons.  Which isn't really difficult considering all the tutorials that are online.  Everything you ever wanted is there.

Hi Jeffr2....

I sincerely thank you for the recommendation, but honestly, I don't have much patience and even less understanding of maintaining add ons! And tutorials? For them to work with me, they have to be quite unbelievably basic!!

But thanks, Jeff ????????

• Like 1