How To Simplify Two Desks, Two Desktop PCs, Two Monitors, Two Keyboards, Two Mice and One Chair

JetsetBkk

I'm getting fed up scooting between my two desks and two PCs using my office chair with wheels.

So I want to place both monitors next to each other on one desk and use just one keyboard and mouse to talk to both.

I want both monitors on all the time, so I don't want a KVM switch which would switch the Video as well as the Keyboard and Mouse.

Anyone done such a setup and what would be the best kit to use?

Is this the type of thing you're looking for?

Synergy is a software application for sharing a keyboard and mouse between multiple computers. It is used in situations where several PCs are used together, with a monitor connected to each, but are to be controlled by one user. The user needs only one keyboard and mouse on the desk — similar to a KVM switch without the video.

• Like 2

I have 2x dell monitors, they have 2x hdmi inputs .. i mostly use a Mac but sometimes I need to use the windows machine and it’s a matter of just pressing a button on either screen to switch inputs.

i hear good things about synergy, I use a Logitech mouse that has software very similar to synergy but I never really use it, I just toggle the multi device mouse - I also use a 3-device keychron mechanical keyboard that jumps between iPad, Mac and windows at a key tap. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JetsetBkk said:

I want both monitors on all the time, so I don't want a KVM switch which would switch the Video as well as the Keyboard and Mouse.

google for USB KVM switch (basically a "KM switch" but it is still called a "KVM").

as for software KVM - check this: https://github.com/debauchee/barrier  - an open source alternative to Synergy

Edited by fdsa
  • Like 1

Have you tried remote desktop software such as VNC?  If you haven't I suggest you spend a little time to try it because you wouldn't need to reconfigure any devices for the test.

If that works well for you, you could run the slower/weaker desktop as headless ( no monitor, keyboard or mouse attached).   On the "main" computer you run VNC.  That will give you a window which functions like a monitor that is attached to the other desktop and your mouse/keyboard are used to interact with the headless computer as well.

If you main computer is capable, you could also attach the second monitor to it as well to provide the same screen real estate as original setup.

As long as you're not having to re-boot the headless desktop often, it works well.  If frequent re-boots are needed, then just leave the keyboard and mouse attached for convenience.  If at least one of your monitors has 2 inputs then connect a screen to both machines.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Inn Between said:

Is this the type of thing you're looking for?

Synergy is a software application for sharing a keyboard and mouse between multiple computers. It is used in situations where several PCs are used together, with a monitor connected to each, but are to be controlled by one user. The user needs only one keyboard and mouse on the desk — similar to a KVM switch without the video.

I've had a look at it, but one of my PCs runs XP, so not supported. ????

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, recom273 said:

I have 2x dell monitors, they have 2x hdmi inputs .. i mostly use a Mac but sometimes I need to use the windows machine and it’s a matter of just pressing a button on either screen to switch inputs.

i hear good things about synergy, I use a Logitech mouse that has software very similar to synergy but I never really use it, I just toggle the multi device mouse - I also use a 3-device keychron mechanical keyboard that jumps between iPad, Mac and windows at a key tap. 

My monitors are both Samsung S24B370H. They have one RGB IN (being used) and one HDMI IN (not used). Both Gigabyte Mobos have an unused HDMI output  port - I'm currently using the monitor output on both Mobos. I think I actually want both monitors working, just need to de-clutter the keyboards and mice.

I just had a look at the keychron - 6,000 Baht!! (And sold out!) That seems a little pricey! But the idea of just one keyboard is good. An extra mouse takes up very little room compared to the keyboard. I'll investigate further.

12 hours ago, fdsa said:

google for USB KVM switch (basically a "KM switch" but it is still called a "KVM").

as for software KVM - check this: https://github.com/debauchee/barrier  - an open source alternative to Synergy

Unfortunately, not 32 bit XP compatible. But I'll certainly look for USB KVM.

7 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Have you tried remote desktop software such as VNC?  If you haven't I suggest you spend a little time to try it because you wouldn't need to reconfigure any devices for the test.

Blimey! Haven't used that since about 2013! UltraVNC, RealVNC, TightVNC - I used them all to connect to my old Dell Laptop (now deceased). I think I'll stick with a simple hardware solution for now - the keyboard KMswitch looks the best bet for de-cluttering the desk.

6 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Could you not still use a "bog standard" KVM switch ? Just don't connect the monitor(s) to it.

Definitely, but when I had a quick look yesterday, they were a ridiculous price - over 2,000 baht! But I just had another look on Lazada and there are USB port switchers - OK for the keyboards - for just a couple of hundred. I'll give one of those a go. My only problem is that both of my keyboards have PS2 type connectors on the end so I'll have to get a PS2 to USB adaptor.

Or maybe buy a new keyboard... ????

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

My monitors are both Samsung S24B370H. They have one RGB IN (being used) and one HDMI IN (not used). Both Gigabyte Mobos have an unused HDMI output  port - I'm currently using the monitor output on both Mobos. I think I actually want both monitors working, just need to de-clutter the keyboards and mice.

I just had a look at the keychron - 6,000 Baht!! (And sold out!) That seems a little pricey! But the idea of just one keyboard is good. An extra mouse takes up very little room compared to the keyboard. I'll investigate further.

I have a K8, which around  2250B when I backed it on kickstarter. Its a 75% keyboard.

I wish I had bought the cheaper ones around 1700B as don't really use the 5% on the right. 

You can buy other multi device keyboards, the logitec K380 is 900B, I had it for a fair while, I didn't like the round keys too much, but for some strange reason my sister uses it as a daily driver.

A multi device mouse is nice too, but you should only need on if you use software KVM like synergy or logitec options. I know you said you use XP, you might upgrade in the future.

• Like 1

I think for the best answer, you need to provide system info for both PCs so we can see which one  has the most capability.   But..... assuming you have a reasonably recent PC with decent CPU and GPU and are using Win10, you don't need any switches ..... unless you have some unusual requirement that necessitates you running 2 PCs at the same time.  If that is the case, you did not make that clear.

Win 10 will allows you to have two monitors on and working simultaneous.   You can use the mouse to go back and forth between monitors, open anything and everything on either monitor.  You can have the task bar on both monitors, though the system tray will only be on one (and you can choose which one).

I have one PC, one keyboard, one mouse, and two 32 inch 4K monitors plugged into my GPU.  Works beautifully.  I do a lot of work on the computer,  maybe working PDF and JPG files, business type emails, variety of web work, while working simultaneously with 2 or 3 photo processing programs, jumping back and forth.

For what it is worth.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

I just had a look at my "junk pile" in the spare room - found 4 keyboards!

A Dell SK-8115, an HP KB-0228, an Elephant KE-002 and a Dynex DX-WKBD.

I really need to have a good clear-out!  ????

Oops. Make that 5 - I just found a Logitech K220 wireless keyboard and mouse in the drawer of my other desk.

The keyboard is quite compact (and only 4 years old) so if I can get it to work with a USB switcher, I think that's the one I'll use.668302999_IMG_20211105_170527crop.jpg.7de3743a47bf7d5b53f4e9ff3f268ae2.jpg

53 minutes ago, cnx1204 said:

Forgive me if you are just thinking out loud.  But I still don't understand why you need all that hardware.

Desk Top 4TV.jpg

Good question.

What do you need 2x windows machines for, one running XP? 

Do you work for immigration?

I use my Mac mostly, but if I need to flash some code to arduinos, I found it easier to use a windows machine.

Its all too easy to accumulate this stuff here, I have routers, chi-fi equipment that I was playing with and synology NAS that I can't even give away.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cnx1204 said:

I think for the best answer, you need to provide system info for both PCs so we can see which one  has the most capability.   But..... assuming you have a reasonably recent PC with decent CPU and GPU and are using Win10, you don't need any switches ..... unless you have some unusual requirement that necessitates you running 2 PCs at the same time.  If that is the case, you did not make that clear.

Win 10 will allows you to have two monitors on and working simultaneous.   You can use the mouse to go back and forth between monitors, open anything and everything on either monitor.  You can have the task bar on both monitors, though the system tray will only be on one (and you can choose which one).

I have one PC, one keyboard, one mouse, and two 32 inch 4K monitors plugged into my GPU.  Works beautifully.  I do a lot of work on the computer,  maybe working PDF and JPG files, business type emails, variety of web work, while working simultaneously with 2 or 3 photo processing programs, jumping back and forth.

For what it is worth.

And then upgrade to Windows 11 to be really  up to date.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cnx1204 said:

And maybe get wireless keyboard and wireless mouse (they come in a set)?  Get rid of all those wires

Wireless is only needed when you move the keyboard & mouse a lot. Two USB cables isn't 'all those wires' 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cnx1204 said:

Oh, wait a minute, at the bottom of the photo, you seem to have a wireless set?

Yes, I found it a few hours ago. I'd like to try it as the only mouse/keyboard combo to control both PCs. Otherwise, I'll use one of my USB keyboards and mouse.

One desk.

Scads of local and worldwide ideas on FB and Youtube.

Setups vary by applications and tasks. Trading, gaming, video production, streaming, teaching, casting/streaming, etc.

A lot of stuff is in short supply here given that so many people have had to set up home offices.

Many of the local solutions are DIY, but there are some specialty vendors like TAM.