More than 65 thousand sign up for Thailand Pass

webfact

2 hours ago, Hans Rayong said:

I got it 2 minutes after application.

How to get it in just a few minutes:

1. Add QR-code for both injection. If you only have one QR-code add it twice.

2. No Hotmail address.

What was the other tip: "add 2 extra spaces after your passport number"?

Any others?

11 hours ago, TC17 said:

As day 4 comes to an end, still no word.  What is the experience of others?  How long is a response taking for you?  I applied Nov. 1 and my flight is Nov. 12. 

External Influences … It’s the Russians to blame … They have hacked the system to direct all the dirty UN-showered foreigners to Moscow … I think Clinton has something to do with it “;0) 55555

10 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

The disastrous Thai pass is about as good as the disastrously expensive UK track and trace implementation 

Only difference is we dumped our <deleted> and we are open for business 5555

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

This will be abandoned (HOPEFULLY) as the reality of this government stupidness hits home in the months ahead

Yes, why don't they just make it the same as the other entry requirements - get the airlines to do the checking? Oh, they've probably done that as well already. Checked at the airport, checked on arrival, checked at the hotel and that's after you've gone through all the hassle with Thailand Pass etc...................I feel so lucky to be able to travel to Thailand and spend my money.

I don't think they'll abandon it - I think they'll kick it back to individual embassies - the same as they did with COE>

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Enzian said:

Re: Bonecollector. You've raised the great question of how long before my Dec. 7 flight I should have everything (hotel. insurance etc.) together and make the application. I've assumed a week to 10 days, but as a practical matter could one really start 3 or 4 weeks ahead? Also, I've been thinking if the situation seems too onerous I might put the flyer points on hold and wait till next year, tho in that case I would have to start over on a Non-O, or whatever strategy seems best.

And I assume a lot of the hotels and insurance are non-refundable.

And rules might change on Dec. 1.

Comments appreciated.

If I were you definitely apply now. I sent application in 1st November 2 days later rejected because I hadn't  filled in date of 2nd dose vaccine although I had Johnson and Johnson and only single dose is issued. Sent in again still waiting to hear flight on 11th November. Time running out.

3 hours ago, koele2 said:

These guys always have online problems when they launch something.  The reason is very simple.  The people they hire to handle all the online stuff are friends and/or some sort of kickback scheme is going on.  They do not get the most competent people to do the job.  Not all Thais are incompetent, only the ones that make it to the top.  That’s the system they created for themselves.

"They do not get the most competent people to do the job.  Not all Thais are incompetent, only the ones that make it to the top.  That’s the system they created for themselves."

Some truth in this. Moving to the top does not have much to do with competence in the Thai system of things. I worked in a large Thai company years ago and could see it clearly. In fact, some of my most competent colleagues were punished (e.g. put on the slowest possible path to promotion) for just letting their competence show in meetings, which was not to the taste of the more senior and less competent ones.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Clarkey611 said:

I really do not know why they had to change from the COE system. I used the COE system twice this year and received approval after 11 minutes and 2 hours 21 minutes respectively. I can only conclude that they do not really want tourists and especially the dirty ones.

Agree. I did not find the COE so difficult to get (early this year). But so many people groaned about it and maybe Thai authorities happened to listen (!) and replaced it. The old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes true once again!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

With the stupid mandatory Covid insurance yada yada yada it is just another huge clusterfrack . Thailand Pass is meant for only the most desperate of souls.

I think I read once or twice that there does need to be an explicit COVID coverage anymore, just a standard 50,000 USD coverage. Can someone confirm?

So if that is all true with the 65,000 application backlog, what is the recommended application period before my flight on 30th Nov ? I was going to send the application for Thailand Pass 10 days before my departure date but not sure now, maybe apply at least 2 weeks before my departure date??

5 hours ago, kennw said:

Just wonder how many in that number are due to "try agains" one report said a guy has tried 15 times.

Looks like the primary key (unique piece of info tied to the submission) is the passport number. Due to bad coding and insufficient input checking you can vary your passport number with blank(white) spaces. The number of variations made = number of tries/attempts.

E.g:

* passport number

* passport number + blank

* passport number + blank + blank

* blank + passport number

I have 3 submissions and got a QR code from one of them. 

As one just puts only blanks around the passport number, the real passport number is the same and will be printed properly.

Actually so far this works in our favour, as the whole solution has a lot of bad design and execution in various areas. Consider this - a person submits an application, waits seven days, gets rejected. The only way to fix this is to submit another one and wait again. With the old CoE one can get rejection for something but can sort it out with the embassy, no such option here.

The good thing about TP being so bad.....probably is not going to last very long and will get dropped.

2 hours ago, gejohesch said:

"They do not get the most competent people to do the job.  Not all Thais are incompetent, only the ones that make it to the top.  That’s the system they created for themselves."

Some truth in this. Moving to the top does not have much to do with competence in the Thai system of things. I worked in a large Thai company years ago and could see it clearly. In fact, some of my most competent colleagues were punished (e.g. put on the slowest possible path to promotion) for just letting their competence show in meetings, which was not to the taste of the more senior and less competent ones.

Explained quite well here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle

With Embassy in LA not being able to issue travel permits my Daughter and son-in-law were force to cancel their trip to Bangkok and travel around Phuket. Time was running out on no cost cancelation for Plane , ASQ, Villa at Phuket ($2,500 per nigh 4 nights for the four of us. they were to be he 11 Nov for three weeks but that's gone for now. The wife and me may just go the US next June and stay 2 months like we did 2018. Spend our money in the USA rather then them spending there money here.    

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, VBF said:

Explained quite well here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle

In the case of Thailand, it's much more than the Peter Principle, it's rather the result the "close circle" system which is characteristic in the national culture. "Close circle" includes the people "I know well and in a positive mode", i.e. family + people from the same region + people from the same school etc". It's not exactly a class system. Whoever is in the "close circle" will systematically pass in front of anyone else, regardless of skills, competence, qualities etc. Unless there is a lot to gain of course, hence corruption.

Like many things in Thailand, it's difficult for a farang (like myself) to really understand and/or to explain. I'm sure many in the forum will know what I'm talking about and will be able to lay it out more clearly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Gloat later - let's say January/February.  They're aiming at tourists right?  Very few tourists are going to accept this hassle, there are lots of alternatives now.  I'm pretty sure that the majority of those applying now are those with connections to Thailand who've been waiting a very long time to see their families etc.  Only when they've visited will it be clear if this initiative is working as intended.

I know for a fact that if I didn't have any connections to Thailand, I'd be taking my holidays elsewhere - somewhere that appreciates my visit and my cash, not makes it as difficult as possible.

Trying to get to Thailand has been a shambles since they first started allowing travel again - July 2020?  The first stupidity was embassies telling you to book a flight and a hotel with no date and it continues.

Either open or close - up to you Thailand.

Trying to go home to family since April of 2020 one Thai stupid brainstorm after another. I keep hoping they make it more easy and affordable yet they continue to make it such a complicated mess no one wants to deal with it. (KISS) Keep It Simple Stupid I guess Thai stupid never heard of that before. Go back to paper something most humans understand. I guess I have to hire someone to fight this ghost in the machine. Once the first country in Southeast Asia opens without the Covid B.S gets my money. Perhaps move to Laos and have my Thai family come visit there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gearbox said:

Looks like the primary key (unique piece of info tied to the submission) is the passport number. Due to bad coding and insufficient input checking you can vary your passport number with blank(white) spaces. The number of variations made = number of tries/attempts.

E.g:

* passport number

* passport number + blank

* passport number + blank + blank

* blank + passport number

I have 3 submissions and got a QR code from one of them. 

As one just puts only blanks around the passport number, the real passport number is the same and will be printed properly.

Actually so far this works in our favour, as the whole solution has a lot of bad design and execution in various areas. Consider this - a person submits an application, waits seven days, gets rejected. The only way to fix this is to submit another one and wait again. With the old CoE one can get rejection for something but can sort it out with the embassy, no such option here.

The good thing about TP being so bad.....probably is not going to last very long and will get dropped.

Their stupidity, greed $$$ and arrogance would never allow that logical outcome. When they finally wake up to the fact that they lost millions of possible foreigners next month and millions more avoid Thailand next year and in the future because of Covid insurance and all the Covid scams maybe just maybe they will have the backbone to tell the Thai insurance companies to F$$$ -OFF ,dump the so called Health Minister with no degree and can Mr. TAT loon perhaps the human race might trust the Thai government a tiny bit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Yes, why don't they just make it the same as the other entry requirements - get the airlines to do the checking? Oh, they've probably done that as well already. Checked at the airport, checked on arrival, checked at the hotel and that's after you've gone through all the hassle with Thailand Pass etc...................I feel so lucky to be able to travel to Thailand and spend my money.

I don't think they'll abandon it - I think they'll kick it back to individual embassies - the same as they did with COE>

But...they have never done anyhow else: the consular staff is in charge with checking the documents. So I guess that, depending on where you are flying from, the reply might be faster. ( although some of my compatriots have got their QR code whereas I am still waiting after three days).

As for registering again with all the modifications advised by the lucky ones....well I am sure they were lucky as I re applied and am still at the same stage: no progress. Hence I will have to wait until the full seven working day period ends....on November the 11th 

23 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Trying to go home to family since April of 2020 one Thai stupid brainstorm after another. I keep hoping they make it more easy and affordable yet they continue to make it such a complicated mess no one wants to deal with it. (KISS) Keep It Simple Stupid I guess Thai stupid never heard of that before. Go back to paper something most humans understand. I guess I have to hire someone to fight this ghost in the machine. Once the first country in Southeast Asia opens without the Covid B.S gets my money. Perhaps move to Laos and have my Thai family come visit there.

That would suppose the presence of two elements: 'brain" and "storm"

I let you reflect on that ???? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ray richards said:

So if that is all true with the 65,000 application backlog, what is the recommended application period before my flight on 30th Nov ? I was going to send the application for Thailand Pass 10 days before my departure date but not sure now, maybe apply at least 2 weeks before my departure date??

Do it now 

Time frame is 7 to 30 days

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Actually, the old COE 14-day quarantine process was easier, albeit nonsense, and much more straightforward than the current Thailand Pass "technical" procedures. Shouldn't surprise that they couldn't have designed a simple and effortless process without bumbling over the obvious IT and software issues. Some might suggest that none of this current system requires any such technical/computer process. All of the "online" procedures could easily be simplified by returning to an older standard of physical checks and entry. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gejohesch said:

I think I read once or twice that there does need to be an explicit COVID coverage anymore, just a standard 50,000 USD coverage. Can someone confirm?

Correction. I checked again and it says clearly "COVID coverage". My apologies. However, I just visited the TGIA site to check for an insurance and could not enter the dates because the site does not allow anything past December! Can you just believe that???? I plan to go to Thailand early January. What <"#@!§> system! ????????

TGIA is the Thai General Insurance Association recommended by the Thai embassy.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand Pass is a new web-based system for eligible visitors to apply for their entry documents prior to travel.

The ease of traveling to Thailand with a passport and credit/debit cards is finished. When it will return again? I once travelled to USA from Thailand with a carryover only and the immigration officer started asking me questions. I asked him why I need more than a carryover? I have everything in my Las Vegas house. I don't need to pack my house when I travel. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

27 minutes ago, gejohesch said:

Correction. I checked again and it says clearly "COVID coverage". My apologies. However, I just visited the TGIA site to check for an insurance and could not enter the dates because the site does not allow anything past December! Can you just believe that???? I plan to go to Thailand early January. What <"#@!§> system! ????????

TGIA is the Thai General Insurance Association recommended by the Thai embassy.

Isn't this typical - not being on the same page is part of the game. 

• Like 1