Have you been afraid of Covid-19 in the past 1.5 years?

peter zwart

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Under count, maybe, not a fact.  Some think an overcount, maybe, not a fact. We'll ignore both.

Some think an undercount? Some authority who graduated from the University of Youtube?  Maybe those unacquainted with the field of biostatistics might and completely at sea when it comes to numbers. But no rational person should sensibly doubt the huge correlation between the rise of covid and the rise in excess mortality well above what covid would account for alone. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If referring to top 10 causes of death chart - the circles have colors, 2020 + 2019, which I also pointed out, 6+ & 8+ mill respectfully for those years

vs 5+ mill for C19 over the last 18-20 months.  

If I were you I'd take a 2nd look at those charts. 

image.png.2ac1f84c9a5155c45a6b1d03fcacf13c.png

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/the-top-10-causes-of-death

Edited by placeholder

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If referring to top 10 causes of death chart - the circles have colors, 2020 + 2019, which I also pointed out, 6+ & 8+ mill respectfully for those years

vs 5+ mill for C19 over the last 18-20 months.  

You mean the number reported by the WHO which admits it's wrong?  Stunning.

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

If I were you I'd take a 2nd look at those charts. 

image.png.2ac1f84c9a5155c45a6b1d03fcacf13c.png

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/the-top-10-causes-of-death

I was replying to this statemen:

"If we use the higher estimate by The Economist, C19 is the leading cause of death globally right now.  Definitely something to be afraid of."

The chart clearly shows it is not the leading cause of death for 2020 or 2019, and probably not 2021, unless the top 2 dropped dramatically.

I'll adjust my signature ????

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I was replying to this statemen:

"If we use the higher estimate by The Economist, C19 is the leading cause of death globally right now.  Definitely something to be afraid of."

The chart clearly shows it is not the leading cause of death for 2020 or 2019, and probably not 2021, unless the top 2 dropped dramatically.

I'll adjust my signature ????

Where does 2020 figure in those charts? There's a reason I suggested you take a 2nd look.

Edited by placeholder

No, but an incident did happen when I entered my local Lotus. I was 38, I went away and came back about 30 mins later and it was 36. I have tested myself many times since then, and have always been between 34 and 36.

Imagine entering a shopping mall, testing myself and getting 38, there would be a security guy there who would see it and have me taken way to a hospital.

The same thing could happen to some tourist arriving at Swampy, what would have happened then?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Has Loannidis updated his prediction that COVID-19 would kill 10,000 Americans?

It is this early gaff that he used as the basis for his ‘advice’ and the views he expressed on the response to the Pandemic. 

Over 752,000 deaths so far and still counting.

Can you show, where he said that in the WHO published study I linked?

No? Thank you.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Where does 2020 figure in those charts? There's a reason I suggested you take a 2nd look.

WHO's leading cause of death, 6+ million (hearth disease) or am I reading that wrong.

Meaning more than C19 for 2020, and probably 2021.

"The world’s biggest killer is ischaemic heart disease, responsible for 16% of the world’s total deaths. Since 2000, the largest increase in deaths has been for this disease, rising by more than 2 million to 8.9 million deaths in 2019.

OK ... I see my error now ???? I misread 2000 as 2020.  But, number still are accurate to my final conclusion, C19 not the #1 cause of death, any year .... so far.  Hopefully stays that way.

Actually, the 6 or 8 mill is one specific heart / circulatory ailment.  Taken as a total of CVDs, and the #s are much higher:

"Cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) are the leading cause of death globally, taking an estimated 17.9 million lives each year"

Edited by KhunLA

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

WHO's leading cause of death, 6+ million (hearth disease) or am I reading that wrong.

Meaning more than C19 for 2020, and probably 2021.

"The world’s biggest killer is ischaemic heart disease, responsible for 16% of the world’s total deaths. Since 2000, the largest increase in deaths has been for this disease, rising by more than 2 million to 8.9 million deaths in 2019.

OK ... I see my error now ???? I misread 2000 as 2020.  But, number still are accurate to my final conclusion, C19 not the #1 cause of death, any year .... so far.  Hopefully stays that way.

Actually, the 6 or 8 mill is one specific heart / circulatory ailment.  Taken as a total of CVDs, and the #s are much higher:

"Cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) are the leading cause of death globally, taking an estimated 17.9 million lives each year"

Your conclusion is only accurate if you want to fly in the face of rationality and claim that the huge jump in unexplained excess mortality is due to something other than covid. In Russian alone that would amount to almost 700,000 deaths.

• Like 1

There's a lot of macrostatistics floating around on this thread, understandably.

But really any assessment of our own individual risk can only be done in our individual context. For example ....

Am I worried in my current situation being double vaxxed in an area of Thailand with a comparatively low population density, a comparatively low density of covid cases, a close group of 15-20 family, friends and colleagues  - NO.

Would I be worried if I was hanging out in unventilated gogo bars in Pattaya with no masks in sight with hospitality workers who meet a large number of clients every day - YES (hypothetical I know as they haven't reopened in any major way yet as far as I know).

Would I be worried if I was working in an unventilated office with let's say 20 co-workers - YES.

Would I be worried if I was commuting on the London underground (subway/metro) in the rush-hour where a large percentage of people have decided not to use masks any more - YES.

Edited by blackprince
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

But you quote their numbers like you love them.  Bizarre.

I try not to, as I can think for myself, but people do want to see #s & source of, so I provide.

If not, I'll get put on restricted posting and threat of being banned.

As I stated earlier ... they're all just ballpark #s, when dealing with millions, surely some will fall through the cracks.

Edited by KhunLA

28 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Do I trust any of the numbers from any sources, not completely, but they are what they are.  

I'm not a big fan of WHO / CDC / FDA, as way too much money floating around.  But they put the numbers out, and countries report to someone, and get listed on 'worldmeter' site.

I've doubted #s from CDC, and told I'm bias & an idiot.  I've quoted #s from CDC, and told they're fake.  ????  Who do you believe ???

If the FDA states the vaccines are not approved for general use, so be it.

If the FDA states the vaccines are approved for 'emergency use', so be it.

Get vaccinated if you think it is warranted.  Always UP2U, your body.

For your suspicions to be justified, there would have to be a massive conspiracy among the researchers at the CDC. I'm afraid yours is the kind of convenient, if specious, ratiocination that characterizes so much of the political right. And why it's those people who are dying in disproportionate numbers in the USA and elsewhere.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, blackprince said:

There's a lot of macrostatistics floating around on this thread, understandably.

But really any assessment of our own individual risk can only be done in our individual context. For example ....

Am I worried in my current situation being double vaxxed in an area of Thailand with a comparatively low population density, a comparatively low density of covid cases, a close group of 15-20 family, friends and colleagues  - NO.

Would I be worried if I was hanging out in unventilated gogo bars in Pattaya with no masks in sight with hospitality workers who meet a large number of clients every day - YES (hypothetical I know as they haven't reopened in any major way yet as far as I know).

Would I be worried if I was working in an unventilated office with let's say 20 co-workers - YES.

Would I be worried if I was commuting on the London underground (subway/metro) in the rush-hour where a large percentage of people have decided not to use masks any more - YES.

Agree, and even though I'm shy of 68 / high risk, it's just my wife, dog & myself, and extreme social distancing.  Low case #s, lower death #s (%) where I live.  Keep to ourselves since case #s spike.

Care taken when at 7-11, Makro & HomePro, and I feel quite safe & comfortable.  Outdoors, exercise / vit D / immune boost, at the park with dog (AM), maybe 3 ppl there, easily avoided, and surf side (PM), minimum 10m distancing, or can avoid completely if wanting as having 6 kms of surf side.

NO FEAR HERE

Edited by KhunLA

29 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Your conclusion is only accurate if you want to fly in the face of rationality and claim that the huge jump in unexplained excess mortality is due to something other than covid. In Russian alone that would amount to almost 700,000 deaths.

Off topic, so I can't be bothered researching too much, better things to do.

Looks like they holding steady to me, though 1st couple years it hasn't dropped in quite some time, understandable:

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/WLD/world/death-rate

PEACE OUT ... HAVE A GOOD ONE

d.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, placeholder said:

vaccine inoculations there

20 minutes ago, placeholder said:

. So your aggregate figures

Oh but they do, they are much more fact based than uncorroborated fake news comments and FYI phuket is an island located no less than 332 nautical miles from Pattaya, and who mentioned Phuket? You trying to throw a little confusion into the mix?

21 minutes ago, i84teen said:

Oh but they do, they are much more fact based than uncorroborated fake news comments and FYI phuket is an island located no less than 332 nautical miles from Pattaya, and who mentioned Phuket? You trying to throw a little confusion into the mix?

Well, I was certainly throwing my confusion into the mix by mixing up Phuket and Pattaya.

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2021 at 1:46 PM, Pravda said:

This is what happened to me 10 years ago when I flew to Japan. Some American doctor kept insisting to chat with me while spitting on my face. 4 days later while in Tokyo I got sick. Returned to Canada and was getting worse. Doctors just said the usual, drink and rest... Which I did for almost 3 months. Then I noticed breathing problems which I never had before, but last to this day.

That's the benefit of wearing a mask.

No, not at all. The rural north east, where we live has been largely unaffected by Covid 19.

Last year Sakon Nakhon only had one reported case and although it appears to have been a lot worse this year, of the 7,691 reported cases, only 1,083 were local transmissions.

From my personal perspective and that of my family, there's been nothing to worry about, but that didn't stop us from getting our vaccinations------just in case. ????

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I try not to, as I can think for myself, but people do want to see #s & source of, so I provide.

If not, I'll get put on restricted posting and threat of being banned.

As I stated earlier ... they're all just ballpark #s, when dealing with millions, surely some will fall through the cracks.

Again. You post their numbers like they are 100% fact. When in reality they are not. You like their numbers because they are low. Covid deniers like that.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Again. You post their numbers like they are 100% fact. When in reality they are not. You like their numbers because they are low. Covid deniers like that.

If everyone is going to question everyone's #'s, what's the point.  Case numbers, depends on the country, and I'd say Thailand's are way off.  Deaths, I would think is fairly accurate.

The only important #'s (deaths) per population, for a % of risk factor.

Do you think the 'worldmeter' numbers that Thailand reports to is fairly accurate ?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/thailand/

If not, then no sense in myself being involved in any conversation.

Edited by KhunLA

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

98.9% recovery rate from Covid19 in Thailand.  

I'd describe that as 'most' ... recover

The numbers reported in Thailand should be described as "survival rates" rather than "recovery rates". The NHS (National Health Service) in the UK has particularly reliable stats because it is a genuinely NATIONAL health service (as opposed to regional): the NHS found that 45% of covid patients discharged from hospital require ongoing care - ie they survived but didn't fully recover.

And that doesn't count unhospitalised long covid cases which have debilitating effects which may continue indefinitely. On the other hand it's not policy in the UK to hospitalise all cases. So it's still not possible to get a true figure for true recovery rates rather than survival rates. But it's likely to be fairly substantially lower than 98.9%

Nevertheless I would agree with you that most (ie over 50%) people do recover.

However, as ever with stats there is a deep dive and an even deeper dive, ad infinitum.

These figures from the US CDC (Sept 2021) give us a deeper dive.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/investigations-discovery/hospitalization-death-by-age.html

Screenshot 2021-11-06 at 16-28-28 Cases, Data, and Surveillance.png

Edited by blackprince
  • Like 1

In an unprecedented health care emergency, the public needed clear and accurate information from their federal government. Instead, President of the Unite States sowed discord, doubt and disinformation, making it harder for the country to contain Covid-19.

When his campaign rallies were canceled, he started holding Covid-19 press briefings doing more harm than good, ignoring the doctors, giving out misinformation on a daily basis and trafficking in crackpot conspiracy theories. He admitted "doing the opposite of what the doctors recommended."

The former head of the US Covid Taskforce recently confessed, his negligence and malpractice likely contributed up to 40% of the unnecessary fatalities.

This president was intent on marketing breathtaking falsehoods to serve his reelection aims.

The effect of his infodemic can be seen in some of the comments presented here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1