ThaiPass - Using Govt SSO Ins To Satisfy Req

I've read on scant posts here on TV  that foreigners can satisfy entrance insurance requirements with Thai SSO insurance.

Somewhere along the line I was directed to Richard Barrow.

I'm sure it was probably a tweet but I had gone to his website and could find nothing specific about this insurance and method of satisfying the requirement. I tried to locate an email address but was unable.

Can anyone substantiate this rumor with links or facts that this particular type of insurance may be used to satisfy the ThaiPass requirement for insurance.

I realize there are very few of us that have this particular type of insurance.

Thank you

This is indeed excellent news.

BUT

I've not received a new card for several years as apparently they don't issue them any longer. I've kept the old one although it's getting a bit lot beaten up.

So, without a card how does one prove entitlement?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Crossy said:

BUT

I've not received a new card for several years as apparently they don't issue them any longer. I've kept the old one although it's getting a bit lot beaten up.

I've not either. My wife says it's all online now. So I'll include my card and some sort of website printout.

May I ask you Crossy are you now retired? Can you tell me how to move from active and working to inactive with benefits? I've heard I can carry this forever??? Post here or PM.

It's great news especially bc I have two other insurance. I really don't need that 20k insurance policy for 8 months.

Edit: by phone or email the people at SSO very helpful

Thanks again Joe!!! +3Thailand_Pass_FAQ_THAI-ENG__4_Nov_2021_23.30_hrs.pdf

Thailand_Pass_FAQs_Infographics.pdf

Edited by Chad3000

49 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

Somewhere along the line I was directed to Richard Barrow.

I'm sure it was probably a tweet but I had gone to his website and could find nothing specific about this insurance and method of satisfying the requirement.

Google found these amongst others from Barrow, one of which mentions he submitted an image of his out of date social security card:

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1455003089560383489

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1455711344850833417

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, treetops said:

Google found these amongst others from Barrow, one of which mentions he submitted an image of his out of date social security card:

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1455003089560383489

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1455711344850833417

Thank you. Joe nailed it with primary documents. Perfect.

Not a TwitterER but obviously google found them. Thx

Edited by Chad3000

1 minute ago, Chad3000 said:

May I ask you Crossy are you now retired?

Not yet I'm afraid, I get my UK private pension in 3 years, then, who knows?

I'm lucky enough to have a job that I can do without necessarily climbing around on scaffolding (I have younger guys and gals to do that for me now) so I could go on until I drop. Semi-retirement seems most inviting.

When you retire you have a period (6 months IIRC) to transfer to the retired option and maintain cover for a nominal fee. Hopefully your employer will help you to do the switch.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Hopefully your employer will help you to do the switch.  

Thanks. Why is it up to my employer? Actually, I've moved to a private school. They're ok with paying my SSO but I've heard private school teachers don't have this public insurance. They're fairly helpful but still must ask why? Thanks.

1 minute ago, Chad3000 said:

Why is it up to my employer?

It's not, but since they have all the contacts and details they're the ideal route forwards.

Can't comment on the teaching aspect, but if you're paying in OK "should" be no issue.

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

BUT

My staff have contacted the Social Fund about this. Apparently the Social Fund can issue a card for non-Thai citizens.

Let's see what happens next week when they go to the Social Fund office.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, blackcab said:

My staff have contacted the Social Fund about this. Apparently the Social Fund can issue a card for non-Thai citizens.

Let's see what happens next week when they go to the Social Fund office.

I went to my local office (Silom near ITF) and after a fairly lengthy conversation, the desk manager understood what i needed and why.

He, in turn, called someone at the office where cards are actually printed. The printing office  evidentially told the Silom desk manager that a new card can be made AND that when a bew card is issues, the dates of validity also change.

New cards come automatically with a 2 year window of validity. Based in this I believe that my new card will have a December 64 to November 66 window.

It also appears that local SSO offices can’t manually override this 2yr window as the computer screen doesn’t have a option to alter dates for cards. I was able to see the office manager as he navigated the process. 

In my case, I requested a new card because:

1) my old (card still in my hand) has my old passport which expired earlier this fall.

2) I wanted a new card as my old card shows an expiration (that 2yr window) of September 65 and my current yearly extension of stay expires in December 65.  

A new card *should* be dated such that the entire period of my current years extension falls within the cards 2yr validity window, therefore assuring the Pass system that my SSO derived insurances valid for the time required. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, new2here said:

New cards come automatically with a 2 year window of validity.

Thanks for the very clear and detailed info. ????

I have Thai Social Security for life, so I was hoping that a new card would be for life, but whatever... two years is fine.  I'm in the computer system at my hospital (just like Thai folks), so this would only be if I visit my family and need to get back in.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blackcab said:

How did you manage that?

I've worked in Thailand for over 28 years. Whether you are Thai or foreign, if you pay into the system for 180 months (15 years), you've got SS for life.  I'm getting ready to retire.  Apparently, I'll still have to pay about 500 Baht/month to retain the privilege, so the "for life" bit does not mean for free... go figure.  That's fine. It's a stellar system and worth every baht.

Edited by Galong
  • Like 1

That's similar to what I thought. I ask because I've been paying in for a few years aswell.

My understanding is that you have got 6 months after you retire to get yourself enrolled onto the voluntary payments scheme. The last payment amount I heard was 432 baht per month.

My understanding, though, was that if you missed voluntarily payments then your coverage could be terminated. So in effect you can have lifetime coverage, but it is contingent on small but lifetime payments.

A very good scheme for those who qualify, especially those in older age and even more so if insurance requirements are increased in the future.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

I was told I can maintain my SS after retirement for life.

I've only had Thai Social Security for about 5-6 years.

Any idea when I leave my employer what needs to be done?

It seems confusing. I've read that you have to pay into the system for 180 months, BUT I've also heard that you can voluntarily keep it going by paying every month.  My wife is a director of a company, so she can't get SS through her company, but she can pay by herself into the system and get it.  I don't know if this applies to foreigner or only to Thais.   I recommend seeking proper advice for the SS folks.  I'd hate to give you bad info. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blackcab said:

That's similar to what I thought. I ask because I've been paying in for a few years aswell.

My understanding is that you have got 6 months after you retire to get yourself enrolled onto the voluntary payments scheme. The last payment amount I heard was 432 baht per month.

My understanding, though, was that if you missed voluntarily payments then your coverage could be terminated. So in effect you can have lifetime coverage, but it is contingent on small but lifetime payments.

A very good scheme for those who qualify, especially those in older age and even more so if insurance requirements are increased in the future.

That's about all of what I know about it as well. Thanks for the reminder.

I was thinking about starting a thread for the best government hospitals in Thailand.

I recall years ago reading a lot of guys in Pattaya had good things to say about some hospital around Sathahip?? Maybe Queens....???

I'd rather not live in Chonburi but that was the idea.

Edited by Chad3000

5 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Yep, 432 baht is what I heard too. My Thai wife pays 500 baht/month, but she's still working. I don't know if that would drop to 432 baht if she retired.

I didn't know about the 6-month grace period. I would do it right away just to play it safe.   Cheers.

4 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

I recall years ago reading a lot of guys in Pattaya had good things to say about some hospital around Sathahip??

I live in Phuket Town and the Mission Hospital is 1 km from my house!  It's a great hospital and I'm so glad it's one of the SS hospital on the island.  The other hospitals pale in comparison from what I understand. I'm lucky. 

I hope you find a hospital that you like. 

On 11/6/2021 at 4:44 PM, Crossy said:

BUT

Same here, would think you can fill in your Social security number, 13 digits, somewhere.  

• Like 1

My wife and I went to the SS office in Phuket Town a few years ago and talked to the big boss.

We were told that when I retire I have three options:

1. A lump sum payment.  This was over 300,000 baht!
2. A meager monthly payment... can't remember the amount but I remember calculating that I'd have to live way beyond what is normal to match the 300K. 
3. Keep paying into SS and retain the healthcare benefits for life.

Option 3... it's a no-brainer.  ????

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Galong said:

My wife and I went to the SS office in Phuket Town a few years ago and talked to the big boss.

We were told that when I retire I have three options:

1. A lump sum payment.  This was over 300,000 baht!
2. A meager monthly payment... can't remember the amount but I remember calculating that I'd have to live way beyond what is normal to match the 300K. 
3. Keep paying into SS and retain the healthcare benefits for life.

Option 3... it's a no-brainer.  ????

I recall someone telling me I get the money back AND I can continue in the system.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

I recall someone telling me I get the money back AND I can continue in the system.

That would be really nice, but I doubt that's actually the case.  The head chap at SS in Phuket Town told me I could only pick one.  ☹

43 minutes ago, blackcab said:

@Crossy My staff have visited the Social Fund office and they have ordered a Social Fund card for me.

Apparently the card will be posted to me at my work address in the next 60 days.

Cost 10 baht.

Let's see how long this takes.

Crikey, that's a long time for a simple print and mail task. ????