Gas installation to cook top

GreasyFingers

31 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That 5 years is a UK recommendation (likely from a seller) - as you have never had tube fail, and changed to two section rubber several decades ago when sun was a factor.  Plastic did not appear to hold up well to UV.   The link seems to offer hose in various lengths.  

Thanks I did see that, though UV exposure in my fitting will not apply and the cost for the longer lengths is more than double the cost per meter than if I were to buy the 40 metre roll in DoHome. 

FWIW I have remembered that there is a supplier in Udon who is likely to have a hydro-aero hose that is overkill but will certainly be more than capable.

Homes i have rented in the past in Thailand have the tank inside

under the sink.

Also out side tank,  you will sure turn it off yourself after use. no worries.

Can you say the same for the Thai people of your house hold.

to go outside and turn a bottle off, No they won't.

But if under the sink they do.

Horses for courses. take your pick.

Also never herd of a shut off vale on one of these LPG tanks failing and blowing up a house in Thailand.

27 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

under the sink.

Also never herd of a shut off vale on one of these LPG tanks failing and blowing up a house in Thailand.

The Thai habit of turning off the gas tank has always confused me, yes it adds a touch of safety, however for the first 35 years of my life the gas supply to the water heater or stove was NEVER turned off. In the U.K. there are millions of gas stoves who never have the gas cut off. Do extremely rare incidents happen? Yes. The percentage of incidents is a tiny fraction of a tiny fraction of 1%.

when I eventually connect up my stove, though it will have a shutoff valve on the tank it will only ever get shut down when changing the gas tank.

you do you, I’ll do me

3 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The Thai habit of turning off the gas tank has always confused me, yes it adds a touch of safety, however for the first 35 years of my life the gas supply to the water heater or stove was NEVER turned off. In the U.K. there are millions of gas stoves who never have the gas cut off. Do extremely rare incidents happen? Yes. The percentage of incidents is a tiny fraction of a tiny fraction of 1%.

when I eventually connect up my stove, though it will have a shutoff valve on the tank it will only ever get shut down when changing the gas tank.

you do you, I’ll do me

How will you switch off the gas feeding a stove fire?

I have a concrete cupboard attached to the house on ground floor where the gas bottle is stored, whilst my kitchen is one floor above that. The fixed tubing is all stainless steel. I have a Hoke valve under the stove, but, this might not be reachable in the event of a serious fire. 

11 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

you do you, I’ll do me

Very true about the uk gas appliances. ( high quality )

Equipment bought in Thailand, quality, well your guess ?

so not a true comparison.

Just now, KarenBravo said:

How will you switch off the gas feeding a stove fire?

Why would there be a stove fire? A fire extinguisher and or a fire blanket will work.

I refer you to my U.K. experience, vanishingly few fires not caused by overheating contents on the cooker. No immediate access to a shutoff valve. 

I wear a shoulder lap seatbelt as car accidents, though rare, happen. I don’t wear a 5 point harness, it is much safer the incidents where it will make a difference on public roads are vanishingly few.

as I said you do you, I’ll do me.

On 11/7/2021 at 8:56 AM, lopburi3 said:

Outside it is fine (actually still some danger) - just as a BBQ - but it should not be inside kitchen not only because of leakage but because that is the most likely start of fire location and you do not want LPG tank exploding.  

Agree 100 %

Locate the Gas bottle outside, and use the PVC pipe with the Braided cording through a safety Regulator.

Done this several time now and no problems.

Keep the Direct Sunlight off the Gas Bottle and Regulator with a small lean-too or Cupboard 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Why would there be a stove fire? A fire extinguisher and or a fire blanket will work.

I refer you to my U.K. experience, vanishingly few fires not caused by overheating contents on the cooker. No immediate access to a shutoff valve. 

I wear a shoulder lap seatbelt as car accidents, though rare, happen. I don’t wear a 5 point harness, it is much safer the incidents where it will make a difference on public roads are vanishingly few.

as I said you do you, I’ll do me.

Righto. No need for a temper tantrum.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Agree 100 %

Locate the Gas bottle outside, and use the PVC pipe with the Braided cording through a safety Regulator.

Keep the Direct Sunlight off the Gas Bottle and Regulator with a small lean-too or Cupboard 

Agreed. Seems obvious when you actually think about it.

4 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Agree 100 %

Virtually my exact plan, though the bottle will be under the concrete veranda.

7 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I don’t need to guess I bought a häfele stove.

U.K. appliances, high quality? Some yes, others not so much.

Uk gas appliances yes high quality or you don't get to sell them in the uk.

and Thailand ? no name brands, loads of

Edited by Orinoco

14 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Uk gas appliances yes high quality or you don't get to sell them in the uk.

and Thailand ?

Your confidence in the sale of gas appliances in the U.K. is amazing (and not correct) 

I care little about the general run of Thai appliances though most are reasonable, few if any are different to u.k. ones, I am specifically talking of my own quality stove.

if you want quality gas appliances then Japanese ones or built for the Japanese market are streets ahead of the U.K. and Thailand.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Your confidence in the sale of gas appliances in the U.K. is amazing (and not correct) 

I care little about the general run of Thai appliances though most are reasonable, few any different to u.k. ones, I am specifically talking of my own quality stove.

if you want quality gas appliances then Japanese ones or built for the Japanese market are streets ahead if U.K. and Thailand.

What ever mate,  jog on

• Sad 1

On 11/7/2021 at 1:15 PM, Crossy said:

We have the simplest set up.

Hole through the wall under the cooktop (no oven so inside a cupboard) bottle immediately outside. Good quality reinforced hose from the cooktop to the regulator on the bottle. 

Second bottle sits next to the first, manual swap over.

Do you have some equipment /gauges that tells you when the gas bottle is close to empty?

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

Do you have some equipment /gauges that tells you when the gas bottle is close to empty?

Nah, the stove gets a bit weak and Madam issues an instruction to The Farang, to swap the bottle.

You can weigh the cylinders to check how much is left, but we don't bother.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Orinoco said:

under the sink.

Having the gas bottle outside means you do not have to turn it off.

If there is a leak the most likely place for it to occur is at the valve if someone does not tighten it properly. Outside it will not build up a bomb in an enclosed space.

7 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

If there is a leak the most likely place for it to occur is at the valve if someone does not tighten it properly. Outside it will not build up a bomb in an enclosed space.

Remember that LPG is heavier than air, so the place where the gas cylinder is located shall be ventilated at the bottom for gas not to be collected in the case of a leakage.

7 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

A cheap regulator might leak although never seen it. A leak is most likely in deteriorated hose which could be outside or in. Propane sinks and very unlikely to "build up a bomb". 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

If you say so.

But reckon the most likely leak is idiots using the stove.

or the connection of pipe to the burner, ( Somchai special )

No gas build up if bottle is turned off.

do all people turn the bottle off in Thailand ,

every day, if outside. think not

Ps i'm undecided of what way to go at present.

madam wants inside,  if outside. that means i need to manage it

will make that decision in a 3 months time.  when home is finished

just weighing up the pros and cons.

Edited by Orinoco

22 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

A cheap regulator might leak although never seen it. A leak is most likely in deteriorated hose which could be outside or in. Propane sinks and very unlikely to "build up a bomb". 

Very true and look at the gaps in doors and windows in Thailand. :giggle:

1 hour ago, Orinoco said:

Ps i'm undecided of what way to go at present.

madam wants inside,  if outside. that means i need to manage it

will make that decision in a 3 months time.  when home is finished

just weighing up the pros and cons.

Cook outside like most Thai - Western kitchen should only be ovens, air fryers and microwave.  Thai burner cooking is very high temp and often a mess and much easier to clean with a hose than paper towels.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Cook outside like most Thai - Western kitchen should only be ovens, air fryers and microwave.  Thai burner cooking is very high temp and often a mess and much easier to clean with a hose than paper towels.  

Yes there will be an outside cook area.

But the kitchen will have a gas cooker with an oven, i bought one of those cheap'ish 

ones on Lazada, ( Gasto i think ) there are mixed reviews on them, but i want a gas oven

not electric. so still have the issue with where to put the bottle. in or out .

19 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Yes there will be an outside cook area.

But the kitchen will have a gas cooker with an oven, i bought one of those cheap'ish 

ones on Lazada, ( Gasto i think ) there are mixed reviews on them, but i want a gas oven

not electric. so still have the issue with where to put the bottle. in or out .

As most have said best to have outside is my take.  Also saves space inside.  Wife may want inside for easy turn off but that should not be required but as extra safety have the new type low pressure controls with button to stop flow in case of cut hose.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2021 at 4:52 PM, bankruatsteve said:

Just to say... as ubiquitous as LPG is in Thailand and never hearing of any blowing up or starting fires, I don't consider them dangerous no matter where placed.  I'm sure there are anecdotes otherwise but I don't know why anyone would go to any extreme to put outside for so-called "safety".

Sorry, just returning to the thread to prove something to the wife who says - "No one put the gas bottles outside"

In the UK we had 47kg canisters that were slid of the back off a flatbed transit. Ease of delivery, this would be my main motivation to put them outside - so some delivery guy doesn't take chunks out of the door frames on the way in or the fitted kitchen.

When my house was built I put the cooker gas bottle under the hob in a cupboard, partly to reduce the risk of theft and partly to be able to use the standard 3ft flexi hoses & regulator from the local DIY shop, after a year or 2 of awkward bottle changes I decided to lengthen the hoses to about 5ft, drill a hole to outside and build a small lean to to house the bottle. Far easier to change, check for leaks after a bottle change and no doubt safer. Outside should have been my first choice really.  

My bottle never gets turned off, I average 60 days from a 13kg bottle priced at 340B

• Like 1

8 hours ago, recom273 said:

Sorry, just returning to the thread to prove something to the wife who says - "No one put the gas bottles outside"

In the UK we had 47kg canisters that were slid of the back off a flatbed transit. Ease of delivery, this would be my main motivation to put them outside - so some delivery guy doesn't take chunks out of the door frames on the way in or the fitted kitchen.

Not to mention the scratches and chips on the tiled floor.

On 11/8/2021 at 3:46 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

you do you, I’ll do me

While I agree, I found that having a tank outside and NOT tuning that gas off every time was an argument not trying to win. You are married, best to determine what she thinks BEFORE you move past the design phase...

• Haha 2