UK now recognises Sinovac and Sinopharm vaccines

webfact

20 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

In the OP the phrase "as well as" could just mean "OR"

The OP from Asean Now  does not take precedence over the UK government which makes no mention of any required booster for any vaccine regime:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/countries-with-approved-covid-19-vaccination-programmes-and-proof-of-vaccination

Agreed. Thank you. 

Edited by Kadilo

4 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Very clear to me that from 22 November UK accept WHO approved vaccines in addition to EMA ones. No question of any boosters required. However, by chance, I read Malta's requirements. They also accept WHO approved vaccines but require a booster which must be one of the vaccines approved by EMA. Clearly stated too, leaving no room for doubt. Probably is just Malta's own requirement. The headaches continue though! You have to laugh!

Fully vaccinated equals 2 jabs and in addition to means one more. The 3rd jab is the booster given 6 months after your 2nd jab. As I have posted before if you are fully vaccinated and within 6 months from your last jab you are deemed fully vaccinated.  Thai teachers who had 2 Sinovac require an mRNA booster to be considered fully vaccinated. You cannot enter the UK unless you had the same. I can't see the misunderstanding. It's clearly stated in the article. The Thai mix and match for the 1st and 2nd jabs which doesn't have WHO approval I'm not sure. Until there is more clarity the way I see is is that you cannot go to the UK if you have only had 2 of the Chinese shots. You need an mRNA booster. Said it many times now. 2 Chinese jabs + (as well as, and, in addition to etc) an mRNA booster being the 3rd jab.

53 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Ok. Enoughs enough. As well as also means and. Two Chinese jabs AND (as well as) a UK approved booster. As with my grade 1 example. 2 chocolate icecreams and (as well as) a vanilla. Both equal 3.

We accept chocolate ice creams as well as vanilla.

Does that mean you need both??

How silly this is.

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

In the OP the phrase "as well as" could just mean "OR"

The OP from Asean Now  does not take precedence over the UK government which makes no mention of any required booster for any vaccine regime:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/countries-with-approved-covid-19-vaccination-programmes-and-proof-of-vaccination

No. As well as does not mean or. Or means a choice, as well as means and. There is no choice here. If you have had 2 chinese jabs you need a UK approved booster. 2 Chinese jabs AND a booster.

4 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

The article was not written by nor is the official position of the UK government. The photo in the OP is from Reuters -- the OP is not content from Reuters.

Don't quite undestand. Are you saying the information in the article is incorrect?

4 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

We accept chocolate ice creams as well as vanilla.

Does that mean you need both??

How silly this is.

Yes it is silly I'm afraid. What you say is correct. "We accept chocolate ice creams as well as vanilla." which can be written as "We accept chocolate icecream and vanilla". As well as and and serve the same purpose. 2 chinese jabs as well as a booster or 2 chinese jabs and a booster. Both sentences mean exactly the same thing as 'as well as' and 'and' are interchangeable. Absolutely no dispute in this.

11 hours ago, NobbyClarke said:

My gf wants to visit the U.K

The U.K is still not safe for its own people. The flu season is on the way. Doctors are warning of the next Covid wave in the U.K

I would advise no-one to travel to the U.K during the winter months.

Best not to travel anywhere full stop 

12 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Please show me how I have misinterpreted this.

Entering England during coronavirus  

Approved vaccines and list of countries and territories with approved COVID-19 proof of vaccination for travel to England.

To qualify under the fully vaccinated rules for travel to England, you must have proof of full vaccination with a full course of an approved vaccine. The proof must have been issued by (either):

one of the countries or territories listed below

Thailand -- Vaccine certificate.

Approved vaccines
You must have had a complete course of one of the following vaccines at least 14 days before you arrive in England:

Oxford/AstraZeneca
Pfizer BioNTech
Moderna

Janssen

and from 4am 22 November, World Health Organization’s Emergency Use Listing (WHO EUL) vaccines:

Sinovac
Sinopharm Beijing

Covaxin

The day you have your final dose does not count as one of the 14 days.

• Thanks 2

Well I must apologise. As well as and and are not the same. As well as means something that is not considered equally. A booster shot is indeed not the same as and cannot be compared to the initial vaccinations. It is something on top of that as the previous definition I posted  shows. In addition to is probably the best in this context. So something is added. Two chinese jabs ass well as (to add) one UK approved booster.

• Confused 3

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Well I must apologise. As well as and and are not the same. As well as means something that is not considered equally. A booster shot is indeed not the same as and cannot be compared to the initial vaccinations. It is something on top of that as the previous definition I posted  shows. In addition to is probably the best in this context. So something is added. Two chinese jabs ass well as (to add) one UK approved booster.

Try again in English. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Where 2 doses of a vaccine are required for a full course, you can:

mix 2 different types of vaccine from the above list,

where is the booster bit?

The OP is not credited to any third party news organization. Even if the OP said that you have to bring the "Broom stick of the wicked Witch of the West" that does not somehow take precedence over the official UK website which in no way mentions that a booster is somehow a component of a "complete course" of any vaccine regime. 

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Well it is the case that I've got this wrong. I went by what was written in the aricle which is incorrect. My apologies. To some others on here. This is how you do it. Not with a stupid smilely or confused emoji. Thanks @jerrymahoney.

The fact is you were wrong yesterday and still continued to dig yourself in despite being asked to show where it stated it on the official UK Gov website. 

Not content with that you continued it again today patronising anyone who dared to disagree. 

It’s funny for that reason , and even funnier now you have egg all over your face. 

Anyhow kudos for admitting it, credit for that. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I'm sorry you don't understand what this means. "People who have been fully vaccinated with Sinovac or Sinopharm in Thailand, as well as with one of the UK’s approved vaccines," As well as means extra in this context. 

As well (as) meaning 'in addition'

As well is an adverb which means 'also', 'too' or 'in addition'.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/as-well-as

Not too difficult too understand.

Sorry, but I think you're getting it wrong. It's certainly not the way I (or I suspect most native English speakers) would interpret that.

Another completely logical way to read it (and which is the way it was intended, I think) is:

"People who have been fully vaccinated with Sinovac or Sinopharm in Thailand, as well as [people who have been fully vaccinated] with one of the UK’s approved vaccines."

As far as I'm concerned, the "as well as" refers to the fact that the Chinese vaccines are being accepted, "as well as" the vaccines approved in the UK.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

OK. 

Cheers. Guess who gave me the laughing emoji? Fortunately I'm grown up and can admit when I'm wrong rather than just posting some puerile nonsence. OK time for another laughing emoji from the one who contributes mainly negative, nasty and sarcastic posts and emojis.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

The fact is you were wrong yesterday and still continued to dig yourself in despite being asked to show where it stated it on the official UK Gov website. 

Not content with that you continued it again today patronising anyone who dared to disagree. 

It’s funny for that reason , and even funnier now you have egg all over your face. 

Anyhow kudos for admitting it, credit for that. 

Guess you should look up what big words like patronising mean or am I being patronising by saying this. I was not being patronising I was pointing out the English used in the article. I stand by this. The article needs to be clarrified. As for egg all over your face you really are showing just what sort of a person you are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Sorry, but I think you're getting it wrong. It's certainly not the way I (or I suspect most native English speakers) would interpret that.

Another completely logical way to read it (and which is the way it was intended, I think) is:

"People who have been fully vaccinated with Sinovac or Sinopharm in Thailand, as well as [people who have been fully vaccinated] with one of the UK’s approved vaccines."

As far as I'm concerned, the "as well as" refers to the fact that the Chinese vaccines are being accepted, "as well as" the vaccines approved in the UK.

It’s was explained to him a number of times but he chose to try and patronise others with  his insulting 2+1 = 3 type of posts and questioning others understanding of English when it was his very own understanding of English that was the issue.

But hey ho, an admission of being wrong is something, credit for that.

Maybe an apology to those who were insulted would be even better. 

Edited by Kadilo

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Guess you should look up what big words like patronising mean or am I being patronising by saying this. I was not being patronising I was pointing out the English used in the article. I stand by this. The article needs to be clarrified. As for egg all over your face you really are showing just what sort of a person you are.

Stop digging and trying to deflect. 

That’s what got you where you  are now. 

Time to move on.