Foreign Secretary arrives in Thailand for talks on deepening economic and security ties

webfact

s300_FCDO-sign.jpg

From: Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office and The Rt Hon Elizabeth Truss MP

Foreign Secretary Liz Truss has arrived in Bangkok today (9th November) to forge closer bilateral ties with Thailand and to deepen the UK’s wider role in Southeast Asia.

Foreign Secretary Liz Truss will meet Prime Minister Chan-o-cha and Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai. On the agenda will be boosting partnerships on digital and tech, as well as driving investment and security collaboration.

The UK and Thailand currently have two-way trade of around £4.7 billion, with more than 5,000 UK businesses exporting to Thailand.

Foreign Secretary, Liz Truss said:

We want to step up our relationship with Thailand and take it to the next level in areas including tech, trade and investment.

We need a deeper relationship that reflects Thailand’s growing economy and positions Britain at the heart of the fastest growing parts of the world”.

Liz Truss will formally open the new British Embassy in Bangkok and visit the Triumph Motorcycle factory to promote British businesses in the region.

The Foreign Secretary will also host a business roundtable with leading British and Thai companies on Building Back Better and sustainable investment.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/foreign-secretary-arrives-in-thailand-for-talks-on-deepening-economic-and-security-ties

screenshot_15711.jpg

-- © Copyright  GO.UK 2021-11-09

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Liz Truss will formally open the new British Embassy in Bangkok and visit the Triumph Motorcycle factory to promote British businesses in the region.

2 interesting bits in there  new embassy where ?
and Triumph a British firm ? I though it was sold off years ago.

20 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Can we raise frozen pensions directly with her. Not sure Thai Government is even aware of the problem. Anyone know her email?

Always wondered why the  government don’t chase the UK pension increase, more to spend on Leo  Chang and golf

34 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Can we raise frozen pensions directly with her. Not sure Thai Government is even aware of the problem. Anyone know her email?

Follow the Embassy on twitter "UK in Thailand" 

I am regulary firing off both barrels at them..... Useless *****

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

I suppose it would be to much to hope that it could result in UK pensioners getting their due yearly pension rises like they get in the Philippines.

Apparently it is being talked about in the UK (talk being the operative word)

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

Well some people still regard a Rolls Royce car as being the 'best of British'

Yes they do, but (ref Google):-

Rolls-Royce Motor Cars was sold by Vickers to Volkswagen, although BMW hold the rights to the name and the marque for use on Rolls-Royce cars, having acquired the rights from Rolls-Royce plc for £40m in 1998. BMW took over responsibility for Rolls-Royce cars from the beginning of 2003.

18 hours ago, johng said:

2 interesting bits in there  new embassy where ?
and Triumph a British firm ? I though it was sold off years ago.

I seem to recall a discussion on this forum a couple of years ago which concluded that the consular department would be operating from one of those blue PVC frame tent affairs, sited adjacent to the Trendy Building on Sukhumvit Soi 13 (?). 

So handy for dealing with the agents...

Wow... Great ...She must have got her QR code right before departing.

And when I think that people are criticising the TP website, shame on them.

I wonder in which hotel she was detained for the night while waiting for her results.

As she is already roaming Bkk , I take it that she is double vaccinated and did test negative prior to departure and after her arrival.

Erratum:  read "quarantine(d) free" not "detained"