Is this the end of Thailand as a Retirement Destination

Robin

10 minutes ago, newnative said:

Which highrises under construction are 'stalled' in Pattaya?  The Edge highrise is just about finished.  Work continues on the new hotel down the street from it.  Work also continues on Grande Centre Point 2 and the new highrise hotel going up across the street from it by Dolphin Circle.

Construction on Once Condo is not stalled.  Neither is it stalled on the two Riviera highrise projects and Copacabana in Jomtien.  I haven't driven by yet but a billboard tells me that construction has started on the Arom highrise condo in Wong Amat--with covid raging for nearly two years this project could have been postponed or cancelled.  Discovery Beach Hotel just finished it's highrise third building.  Several highrise condos on 3rd Road I can't remember the names of are nearing completion, not stalled.  

There may be a project here and there that is stalled--I can think of a way too-big, way too  underfunded  project in a bad location where work was started and stopped off and on years before covid--but I believe the majority of the highrises under construction in Pattaya are still going forward.

I don't see any highrises stalled in the area of Bangkok where I live part-time either--an office building just finished construction next door and several highrise condos under construction in the area continue.  Again, there may be some stalled projects but I think the majority continue there, as well.  Some Bangkok builders have shifted some of their future projects to smaller, lowrise condo projects and house projects.

Rose coloured glasses and all that....the recently finished  (is it Arbour) big place,  Third Rd Pattaya,bird cage on top,regulary go past,  3 lights on.   These projects had money earmarked before covid,so spending loaned money .    Its more than a car crash ,a plane crash, the 707 plane site , 3rd rd,stalled you stated earlier, has taken definate nose dive          Nobody is coming,not in the droves u imagine to fill any of it...........take a trip around north Jomtien

Edited by fredscats
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, fredscats said:

Rose coloured glasses and all that....the recently finished  (is it Arbour) big place,  Third Rd Pattaya,bird cage on top,regulary go past,  3 lights on.   These projects had money earmarked before covid,so spending loaned money .    Its more than a car crash ,a plane crash, the 707 plane site , 3rd rd,stalled you stated earlier, has taken definate nose dive          Nobody is coming,not in the droves u imagine to fill any of it...........take a trip around north Jomtien

Your post stated that highrise construction has, in your words, 'all but stalled'.   I gave a number of examples of where it hadn't stalled and asked for your examples of stalled projects.  You named the airplane project and the Third Road 'bird cage' project.  With the Third Road 'bird cage' project,  well, since it's finished, construction was not stalled, so not a very good example.  So, your actual stalled project is the 747, not really a highrise by any stretch of the imagination.  

If you re-read my post, nowhere do I make any comment on whether any of these projects will ultimately be successful.  Some may, some may not.  For some, it might take years with covid.  Things succeed, things fail.  The way of the World.  I was merely pointing out that your post stating that highrise construction had 'all but stalled' is not correct.  

I think it's important to keep perspective. You look at all these construction projects and think, where will they find buyers?  Instead, look at each individual project on its own merits.  For example, the new Arom condo project I mentioned that is apparently going forward.  It will sit on a beautiful piece of ocean front property in Wong Amat, one of the best parts of Pattaya and one of the most popular with Bangkokians.  The project has just 319 units. 

With Bangkok having around 10 million people, is it just possible that 319 buyers might be found that are looking for a very nice Pattaya getaway condo?  And, possibly a few international buyers might be found, as well.  Maybe even a few local area buyers.  And, initially, not all 319 buyers need to be found.  A project can be successful with some units remaining to be sold; there's a number of examples of that in Pattaya and elsewhere.  

2 hours ago, newnative said:

Your post stated that highrise construction has, in your words, 'all but stalled'.   I gave a number of examples of where it hadn't stalled and asked for your examples of stalled projects.  You named the airplane project and the Third Road 'bird cage' project.  With the Third Road 'bird cage' project,  well, since it's finished, construction was not stalled, so not a very good example.  So, your actual stalled project is the 747, not really a highrise by any stretch of the imagination.  

If you re-read my post, nowhere do I make any comment on whether any of these projects will ultimately be successful.  Some may, some may not.  For some, it might take years with covid.  Things succeed, things fail.  The way of the World.  I was merely pointing out that your post stating that highrise construction had 'all but stalled' is not correct.  

I think it's important to keep perspective. You look at all these construction projects and think, where will they find buyers?  Instead, look at each individual project on its own merits.  For example, the new Arom condo project I mentioned that is apparently going forward.  It will sit on a beautiful piece of ocean front property in Wong Amat, one of the best parts of Pattaya and one of the most popular with Bangkokians.  The project has just 319 units. 

With Bangkok having around 10 million people, is it just possible that 319 buyers might be found that are looking for a very nice Pattaya getaway condo?  And, possibly a few international buyers might be found, as well.  Maybe even a few local area buyers.  And, initially, not all 319 buyers need to be found.  A project can be successful with some units remaining to be sold; there's a number of examples of that in Pattaya and elsewhere.  

Is this why tokens of 40%-50% off are the way to fill them?  As stated just up the road Brighton,largish hotel,established and operating for couple of years now shuttered up.....looking at Dolphin round-a-bout high rises there,you acually think construction is at speed?  lol,its all but stopped ,just maintenance      Na Jomtien  up by Jontiem sauna,large place opposite,cranes 3 of them  dangling in the wind,and as far as eye can see same same.

" A project can be successful with some units remaining to be sold; there's a number of examples of that in Pattaya and elsewhere"  you mean 10,000 or so,just Pattaya area?

2 hours ago, fredscats said:

Is this why tokens of 40%-50% off are the way to fill them?  As stated just up the road Brighton,largish hotel,established and operating for couple of years now shuttered up.....looking at Dolphin round-a-bout high rises there,you acually think construction is at speed?  lol,its all but stopped ,just maintenance      Na Jomtien  up by Jontiem sauna,large place opposite,cranes 3 of them  dangling in the wind,and as far as eye can see same same.

" A project can be successful with some units remaining to be sold; there's a number of examples of that in Pattaya and elsewhere"  you mean 10,000 or so,just Pattaya area?

Brighton Hotel is open for business so you are also incorrect on that, as well as much of what you've stated in your other posts.  I don't know or care how fast construction is going on the two Dolphin Circle projects--or any other projects under construction.  I just know construction continues on both projects, and, with a few exceptions, most other projects.  You, however, seem to be changing your story--first saying everything is 'stalled' but now switching to construction not being 'at speed', whatever that even means.  In any case, I believe I have made the points I wanted to make and wish you a good day.  

2 hours ago, newnative said:

Brighton Hotel is open for business so you are also incorrect on that, as well as much of what you've stated in your other posts.  I don't know or care how fast construction is going on the two Dolphin Circle projects--or any other projects under construction.  I just know construction continues on both projects, and, with a few exceptions, most other projects.  You, however, seem to be changing your story--first saying everything is 'stalled' but now switching to construction not being 'at speed', whatever that even means.  In any case, I believe I have made the points I wanted to make and wish you a good day.  

Thats why the Brighton hotel sign is hidden I guess, high up there,  swathed in wrappers I suppose,gives impression not open for business ,when it is,funny that   ..but Ill take some pics,nothings going to be finished,called spot the worker(s)    yes viewed often,  cranes still in same postion as of weeks ago, a disaster on stilts

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 1:22 PM, BritManToo said:

Why not, I generally spent under 500bht/day, and that's because I have nothing more I want to buy.

That's double what most of the Thai population have to spend.

Even worse if they're Thai pensioners on 600bht/month.

I was talking 300-400 including housing.  

On 11/11/2021 at 9:15 AM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

that would be me.....by choice of course..

By choice is one thing.

What I meant is if you are only "earning" 9,000-12,000 baht a month without cash reserves then you are not financially well off enough to be an expat.

Most everyone who has disagreed with my comment is talking about "expense", I am talking about "income."

• Sad 1

On 11/15/2021 at 7:00 AM, Jeffr2 said:

This can be said of most nations where travel is happening.  Mass tourism has ruined many beautiful places around the world, not just Thailand.

Thailand does not need any mass tourism to ruin it, it has been ruined beyond repair by this unelected soldier posing as a PM and the rest of his generals.

• Haha 1

On 12/11/2021 at 10:37 PM, possum1931 said:

Thailand does not need any mass tourism to ruin it, it has been ruined beyond repair by this unelected soldier posing as a PM and the rest of his generals.

It was ruined before he ever became in charge. The beaches were destroyed for greed by the beginning of the century.

Purachai did more to ruin the nightlife than the general, IMO.

• Like 1