RE: Nightmare-Positive test

Leonard Desharnais

TAT offering ‘overspill’ insurance for asymptomatic positive cases (and negative proximity cases) is the only viable option IF Thailand is serious about welcoming tourists. 

The Thai authorities also need to be clear on the level of care / accommodation foreigners will receive - being bundled into a re-appropriated army barracks or sleeping on cardboard beds in a sports hall is not going to cut it. 

Attempting to get confirmation regarding hospitel cover for asymptomatic cases is difficult - insurance companies are notorious for leaving ‘wiggle room’ through ambiguity and carefully selected wording such as ‘medically necessary’....  

(it took me 2 months to nail down my previous insurance company to confirm the exact level of cover they would provide for winter sports - they had a ‘dangerous activities’ clause which was open to interpretation if they so decided ’skiing’ was dangerous after a wipe out needed hospital treatment).

In offering the international public clear and concise *information and confirmation the Thai government then can stand behind its assurance that foreigners are welcomed

*Information such as the availability of Covid cover for all arrivals (no matter age or pre-existing conditions) and that any required treatment or quarantine will take place at reputable hospitals (list of hospitals such as BNH, Bangkok Hospitals, Samitivej) etc or quarantine at hotels such which are currently being used as ASQ (i.e. Centrepoint, Solitare etc).

OR provide a clear list of the insurances companies that offer such cover for all eventualities relating to covid (i.e. cover for quarantine for asymptomatic positive cases and negative proximity cases).

Additionally, a confirmation that ‘home’ isolation where available and necessary is permitted for those returning home.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2021 at 7:44 AM, treetops said:

It's been discussed many times that insurance should cover asymptomatic hospitalisation and many such products are available.

What insurance company issues a policy that covers compulsory hotel quarantine?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Puccini said:

They don't as you prob haven't tested positive to end up in hotel quarantine.. so I assume you are referring to cases of close contact.

The case in Richards newsletter was about a guy and his friend who got the same taxi and his friend tested positive, for this to happen they must have been considered in the same "party" you pay for private transfer they won't put a stranger in the same taxi as you. There haven't been any reports yet from ppl that where on the same plane etc.. all the ones ppl quote relate to the Phuket sandbox and are dated months ago.  

I also noticed when booking the SHA+ hotel it said 5000 baht for the test and go package and it tiny writing next to it "1500 per extra day"... The Swedish guy with a 350,000 baht bill doesn't even know if indeed that is his bill yet as insurance will likely cover it and its also not just his bill but also for his family.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Puccini said:

None as far as I can see but the Thai Gov should make it so that you are able to isolate in the hotel you are already in and the hotel charges you a discounted rate and another free PCR test on day 4. That would seem fair to me but hey we are dealing with 'politicians' here.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 1:44 PM, treetops said:

It's been discussed many times that insurance should cover asymptomatic hospitalisation and many such products are available.

They only problem is getting them to pay out as well as having a concerned government not in pocket to enforce (non existent,) regulations

My FIL had mild covid, forced to quarantine. Insurance would not pay. It's a total scam. They only paid 35% of mil only due to x-ray, doctors note certifying covid in her lung. It's a cardio, vasulat disease as well

Another small brain who has been 'walked past the sale' 

Noone wants to spend their 2 weeks of holiday from work in a hospital, regardless of whether the cost is covered or not. 

Until you small brains start to realize they weren't joking when they said 'new normal', thats exactly what this will become. 

The only way this ends is when people become ungovernable and say enough is enough.