Pattaya: Foreign man and Thai wife appeal to media after their luxury house suffers damage

webfact

15 hours ago, off road pat said:

One very good reason never to buy property in Thailand !!!

Rent is far better. If anything happens, you can leave on the moment and leave nothing behind !

Or build a place with no neighbours on either side of you, behind you and across the road from you, owning all of the land provides you with less headaches from having people building next to you or future situations like this occurring, but your wife has to have your money to buy up big.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Venom said:

Be thankful, they could have just as easily built a pig farm next door or even worse a karaoke with drunken morons singing until midnight seven days a week! 

I keep putting the rumour out I am selling cheap to a pig farmer.... 4 damned dogs neighbours  had at one time!

Edited by jacko45k

I have a very similar problem, the falang who brought the land next to mine, decided for no real reason to change the typography even after we had discussions on how the land drained away, long story short all of his surface water was now draining into my land at one end . I am in the process now of laying a black plastic sheet 'gutter' covered in Hin (stones) so it drains out onto the road as it did before he forked it up. Not rocket science but bloody annoying  and work I could do without. total cost to me about 2k tThb.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2021 at 12:38 PM, JeffersLos said:

Dig a pond, add some water features and fish. Would look lovely. 

Than the pond will just keep overflowing. 

They other ground is higher, so it will be a constant overflow of water. They either need to up their own land, or have a pump. 

Questions is, who is paying for that.

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Build a trench around the property, and install a pump.  Trench size and pump should be of a size and capacity for heavy rains.  

They will have to pay for this themselves.  

....and pump it all back to where it came from?

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

....and pump it all back to where it came from?

I was living on a sloped street in a row of townhouses. I was the first one in the row. The Thai neighbour blamed me for dirt left in her carport after heavy rain, so proceeded to block the channel, resulting in my carport flooding in heavy rain with the risk of flooding my lounge.

I could not wash the debris left by the rain downhill. I had to pick it up when it was dry. If you're Thai, it's ok, but if you're a foreigner, be careful what you do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

Good way to end up in a conflict that could lead to violence.  

Odd isn't it?

The original perpetrators suddenly become the victims when some one has the ***** to turn the tables.

Some people need to grow a pair.

32 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Odd isn't it?

The original perpetrators suddenly become the victims when some one has the ***** to turn the tables.

Some people need to grow a pair.

Thailand has a 3rd World judicial system, and the odds are stacked against farang here.   

It's the risk you take when buying a property here.

I'm in a similar situation right now, the owner of the open land next to our property decided to sell their dirt and now there's a huge pond up the way and our garden is always soggy.  We tried talking to the tessaban and the owner but nothing.  I'm currently in the process of improving our drainage with a DIY combo French drain and concrete channel drain.  If that doesn't fix the problem we'll have to either call in truckloads of dirt or call in a contractor or engineer.

For over 10 years we never had a problem and enjoyed the huge open land next to us, this rainy season it's a problem.

1 hour ago, bbko said:

I'm in a similar situation right now, the owner of the open land next to our property decided to sell their dirt and now there's a huge pond up the way and our garden is always soggy.  We tried talking to the tessaban and the owner but nothing.  I'm currently in the process of improving our drainage with a DIY combo French drain and concrete channel drain.  If that doesn't fix the problem we'll have to either call in truckloads of dirt or call in a contractor or engineer.

For over 10 years we never had a problem and enjoyed the huge open land next to us, this rainy season it's a problem.

You're lucky the land stayed open. In 10 years of living next to "open land", in 2 places, I've lived through two 8 level condo constructions on the open land, adding up to over 3 years of construction noise. It's aways a gamble living next to open land.  

Edited by JensenZ
  • Thanks 1

On 11/13/2021 at 7:43 AM, Venom said:

Be thankful, they could have just as easily built a pig farm next door or even worse a karaoke with drunken morons singing until midnight seven days a week! 

Midnight.... if you are lucky..... !

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/13/2021 at 9:38 AM, brianthainess said:

I have a very similar problem, the falang who brought the land next to mine, decided for no real reason to change the typography even after we had discussions on how the land drained away, long story short all of his surface water was now draining into my land at one end . I am in the process now of laying a black plastic sheet 'gutter' covered in Hin (stones) so it drains out onto the road as it did before he forked it up. Not rocket science but bloody annoying  and work I could do without. total cost to me about 2k tThb.

Can you not dig a small sump, then with a fire fighting pump spray it back in his yard ?

On 11/15/2021 at 10:45 AM, Will B Good said:

Exactly....my mantra....Rent, never ever buy

Same Same.  

In a country that does not offer a realistic pathway to citizenship and / or permanent residency, nor proper town planning and development laws, freedom of movement, domestically and internationally, is important.  Not to forget, the foreign ownership of land laws here also.

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1