Lottery vendors up the ante

AustinRacing

So the two-set lottery has gone up From 200 to 220. Is it the case in your neck of the woods?

What is it with the variable pricing on some numbers? My Thai friends say luckier numbers attract higher prices. Who decides that? Sometimes monks or rumors?

Consistent with not doing things properly elsewhere, there should be one winner only for the first prize and not a handful which ends up diluting the first prize. Otherwise do a proper lotto system where you choose the however individual numbers there are and in case of no first prize winners it jackpots making it more attractive to buy. 
Thai lottery system is a hybrid with outdated paper system albeit great for dodgy operators. Going back on the computerized system deal that ended up with Thai government being sued for reneging on the deal is testimony to the influence of the underworld operators on government business. 
Having said that I still enjoy the punt every now and then. Do you?

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Longreach said:

first prize never diluted. if u have 10 x winning number u get 60million bart.

There is the problem in a nutshell, people on low or no incomes spending 100 baht a time in search of happiness, or spending less on a daily basis,20 baht or so, but 7 days a week underground lottery.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yes, I noticed that on my visit to Bangkok the other week. They were also asking for 350 baht for a 3 ticket set.

I kept my money in my pocket and bought my tickets on my return to Pak Chong, a set of two still 200 baht. 

Not that it will make the slightest difference, I still won't win. ????????

Yes, I insist on paying my “stupid tax” ! I buy six single tickets outside the local “sewen” day before draw at 80 baht each. such small money I never noticed the 3 tier pricing.always assumed tickets discounted few days before draw to get rid but now see its maybe because the “lucky” tickets are sold out ! obviously the locals have little or no understanding of mathematics & odds…….where every number has an equal chance of winning. the practice here of buying the same number more than once also defies logic….far better to have ten chances at six mill than one chance at sixty mil ! in the west, understanding that, its not even possible to buy same number more than once ! nobody would do it …..unless superstitious……but with the “lucky number” superstition it makes every sense ! TIT 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longreach said:

first prize never diluted. if u have 10 x winning number u get 60million bart.

Having 10 first prize tickets makes it possible for up to 10 people to win. That was my point in relation to dilution. Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. Comparing it to western lotteries I think it’s a poor value for money. 

• Like 1

The vendors jack the price to pocket more money for themselves. This has been going on forever. Occasionally there is a crackdown and prices in some places, mainly Bangkok, revert to the actual price clearly shown on the tickets. After a week or 2 the vendors jack them again and continue on their merry way. 

• Like 2

I didn't play the game for several years until I finally accepted to pay 100 per ticket rather than the official 80. I've recently seen 65 is a lucky number because of it being the next year. A number I tried to pick a few weeks ago was expensive too because a monk chose it.

Ultimately I dont mind that much now as the seller separates the lucky numbers from the rest. It only sometimes affects me/my strategy when I stick to my opposite numbers until one wins eg 38 and 83. 

Never did it then one day some 4 months ago whilst at Makro felt sorry for the girl so bought a 100 baht ticket won 2,000 baht gave it away to someone towards a school uniform as far as I know the uniform is still on the hanger as the school is still closed due to Covid 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ronster said:

12 years I have not won a single bht from the lottery despite buying 300-1000 bht a time ! When you look at ticket cost vs payout prize then it’s woeful.

I bought a few of the Mickey Mouse lottery numbers the other week and when I went to pick one three digit number my wife said they won’t sell it but you can buy the rest ! ???? I asked why they wouldn’t sell it and she said the people think it might win so refuse to sell it ! ????

I do not understand the Thai lottery/s . I believe there are 2 . One is official and the other unlawful . Has a farang ever won the jackpot and lived to tell the tale ?

20 hours ago, Farmerslife said:

Yes, I noticed that on my visit to Bangkok the other week. They were also asking for 350 baht for a 3 ticket set.

I kept my money in my pocket and bought my tickets on my return to Pak Chong, a set of two still 200 baht. 

Not that it will make the slightest difference, I still won't win. ????????

I wonder what is the most money a western farang has ever won in the Thai lottery.

3 hours ago, superal said:

I do not understand the Thai lottery/s . I believe there are 2 . One is official and the other unlawful . Has a farang ever won the jackpot and lived to tell the tale ?

As far as I remember there have been one or two that won the jackpot but that was only one ticket at 6 million bht minus taxes. Not like Thais that buy 3, 5 ,10 of the same number. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ronster said:

As far as I remember there have been one or two that won the jackpot but that was only one ticket at 6 million bht minus taxes. Not like Thais that buy 3, 5 ,10 of the same number. 

Taxes ? What are they for ?

22 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Yes, I insist on paying my “stupid tax” ! I buy six single tickets outside the local “sewen” day before draw at 80 baht each. such small money I never noticed the 3 tier pricing.always assumed tickets discounted few days before draw to get rid but now see its maybe because the “lucky” tickets are sold out ! obviously the locals have little or no understanding of mathematics & odds…….where every number has an equal chance of winning. the practice here of buying the same number more than once also defies logic….far better to have ten chances at six mill than one chance at sixty mil ! in the west, understanding that, its not even possible to buy same number more than once ! nobody would do it …..unless superstitious……but with the “lucky number” superstition it makes every sense ! TIT 

Why would you think every number has the same chance of winning?.  TIT, where in the 80' they accidently showed the cheating during the draw on live TV AND I have personally overheard some high military in an expensive restaurant correctly discussing what numbers would come out with the next draw. This was in the early 2000' and they did not realise that the farrang at the next table was perfectly able to understand what they were talking about

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/12/2021 at 10:13 AM, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

obviously the locals have little or no understanding of mathematics & odds…….where every number has an equal chance of winning. the practice here of buying the same number more than once also defies logic….far better to have ten chances at six mill than one chance at sixty mil ! in the west, understanding that, its not even possible to buy same number more than once ! nobody would do it …..unless superstitious……but with the “lucky number” superstition it makes every sense ! TIT 

surely you are aware of Thai mathematics.?  You are contradicting yourself here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/13/2021 at 3:37 PM, Sir Bogdiver said:

Why would you think every number has the same chance of winning?.  TIT, where in the 80' they accidently showed the cheating during the draw on live TV AND I have personally overheard some high military in an expensive restaurant correctly discussing what numbers would come out with the next draw. This was in the early 2000' and they did not realise that the farrang at the next table was perfectly able to understand what they were talking about

One would hope that you 'lumped in' on the numbers they were discussing?