Booster needed for those vacinnated with Pfizer>

Nickelbeer

Two very bright and educated Thai women, told me today that since I have been vaccinated twice with Pfizer, that a booster would not be necessary. I feel sure that they are incorrect, so I felt I should bring it before the erudite collection of virologists on Asean Now. What say you? Serious comments appreciated.

From the US CDC's website - 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html

image.png.d2635a13d25fe6b492fc05d1d5be0955.png

We're in a similar situation we were in when the vaccines first came out - priority was given to certain groups. Same right now for booster shots.  I'd expect that boosters will be recommended for all soon.

I think it's OK to second-guess what you hear from Thais regarding the virus, the pandemic, public health policies, economic policies, etc

• Like 1

Israel have given booster shots for several months now and they use primarily Pfizer with high vaccination rate.

Two doses is not sufficient as studied in Israel as there were lots of breakthrough cases. For the proof, read the article below

https://www.timesofisrael.com/4-million-israelis-have-received-third-vaccine-shot-health-ministry-says/

Edited by EricTh

2 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Another opinion from NYT…

42A36551-5304-4747-BC92-A237F719BC98.jpeg

I got my second jab in July.  Pfizer.  I've been reading that a booster from a different vaccine might be even better.  As a traveler, I'll need a booster as some countries are requiring your 2nd jab be within 6 months.  If before that, you're not considered vaccinated.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Nickelbeer said:

Well, the two women WERE Registered Nurses. Perhaps I should have told them that their studies were not accepted by the University of Asian Now, medical credentials, notwithstanding.  I always argue with the experts. Gains me tonnes of respect.

On 11/12/2021 at 11:09 PM, pseudorabies said:

From the US CDC's website - 

That may be old news.

AFAIK boosters are recommended (in the U.S.) for all 18+ at 6 months. Think this was approved/announced last Friday.

The question for the OP and others 2x vaxxed with Pfizer here: where, when and how can I get a Pfizer booster at/around + 6 months.

The government has said they ordered 20 mm doses of Pfizer, but have variously mentioned amounts up to 32.5 million (an earlier 10 mm does order and 2.5 mm in donations). They've also mentioned plans for 30 mm Pfizer in 2022. 

Hopefully private hospitals will be freed to order, import and administer vaccines in the future.

For the OP, I would suggest contacting the place where you received the Pfizer.

Edited by mtls2005

10 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

Well, the two women WERE Registered Nurses. Perhaps I should have told them that their studies were not accepted by the University of Asian Now, medical credentials, notwithstanding.  I always argue with the experts. Gains me tonnes of respect.

Did you tell them when you received your last Pfizer shot?  If not, your publication may still be in peer review.

If you had Pfizer in Thailand, they may be saying it's not yet time for your booster.

BTW, Korea has moved to 4 and 5 month boosters, depending on status. 4 months for over 60.  HERE

On 11/23/2021 at 8:00 AM, mtls2005 said:

They've also mentioned plans for 30 mm Pfizer in 2022. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1240559-cabinet-endorses-order-for-30-million-doses-of-pfizer-vaccine/

with an option to change the product to a pediatric version for use in younger children.

Combining with the current supply agreement for 30 million doses this year

On 11/12/2021 at 11:29 PM, ourdon said:

As per the others --- Yes to the booster.  I go for my booster in 10 days. 

The local medical authority seems to like a six month spacing

Where will you be going for your booster shot and how much do you have to pay?