Thai PM’s odd suggestions cause quite a stir

webfact

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

#1 ... the taxes they receive from imports for starters.  Think automotive.

Along with the industry / employees, to sell & maintain imported products.

The taxes the country receives are from money already in Thailand.

Thai industry should develop to sell and maintain  Thai products

5 hours ago, NeoDinosaw said:

(1) I don't see how buying  lots of imported goods is helping the Thai economy. 

(2) Maybe you should emigrate to a country where these goods are cheaper

My comment was about the very high import tax on imported products like cigarettes and spirits which are directed at expats by a greedy government.  The economy is, and has been, supported by the many billions of baht converted from home currency and spent annually in the Kingdom by expats.

4 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

My comment was about the very high import tax on imported products like cigarettes and spirits which are directed at expats by a greedy government.  The economy is, and has been, supported by the many billions of baht converted from home currency and spent annually in the Kingdom by expats.

And all that......yet, look how the continue to treat us. 

Swimming and second (third or fourth) languages are taught at school = education ministry in charge. Latter not moving anything for decades as the status quo keeps the underlings at bay.

Out of curiosity, what entrance pricing is there for government officials? I mean, Thais pay 10% of what the dirty farang are supposed to pay so I was wondering, what they charge dirty politicians?

22 hours ago, keith101 said:

He is Military and knows nothing about the real people and their lives and just thinks it makes him look good for re election .

Re election?? He hasn't even been elected, not by the Thai people anyway.

22 hours ago, steven100 said:

actually he is correct in that every child should learn to swim, it should be mandatory ....  as for the language I have always said schools MUST make english a requirement.  A child that can speak English has a far better opportunity to travel and advance in life through career prospects, than one that can't. 

I have always wondered if the unelected soldier posing as a PM is able to speak English, or how competent he is at it.

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

oh possum,  our elected PM Khun Prayut isn't proficient at English ....

He certainly isn't proficient at running a country Steven, that's for sure, but at least he seems to know that if you drown you die. ????

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

How much are the "many billions of baht converted from home currency by expats", in comparison to the Bahts converted from income of Thai export companies?  Just curious...

3 minutes ago, Saanim said:

How much are the "many billions of baht converted from home currency by expats", in comparison to the Bahts converted from income of Thai export companies?  Just curious...

Dunno.  Are you disputing my premise that expats are important to the Thai economy?

11 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Dunno.  Are you disputing my premise that expats are important to the Thai economy?

Not really, but not that the state economy will collapse when the expats will leave.   Perhaps you should learn a bit about Thai exporting industries.  

Just go around Laem Chabang, Lat Krabang and see the thousands of containers passing by, beside what leaving by air freight from Sumpy.

Or just find out the official figures of Thai export. 

14 minutes ago, Saanim said:

Perhaps you should learn a bit about Thai exporting industries.  

What would I need to learn?  Reports say that exports have declined 10% or so during Covid.  Tourism has virtually disappeared.   Expat income has remained pretty much unchanged.  I just think that we should get more respect when it comes to taxing things we like to buy, dual pricing at hospitals and others, 90 day reports,  having to pay for things that should be free, and constantly getting screwed down to bleed more.

• Like 1