Ministry official hints you'll need to be vaxxed to do things in public in Thailand

webfact

5 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

There is NO fully approved vaccine listed by the World Health Organisation for anyone under the age of 18. The WHO approved on 3 November an emergency list of vaccines but they are only for over 18 year olds. There is however an emergency approval on 4 November 2021 by the CDC for Pfizer only to be used between the ages of 15 and 5 years of age. There is still NO approved vaccine for under 5 year olds. So as there is no fully approved vaccine by the WHO you are wrong in your claim that his son will be stigmatized and excluded from activities at his school for this. What is approved by the FDA in America or the NHS in UK has nothing to do with what is approved in Thailand

https://www.who.int/news/item/03-11-2021-who-issues-emergency-use-listing-for-eighth-covid-19-vaccine

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/children-teens.html

I'm really not sure what point you are trying to make, I said Thailand has approved Pfizer for 12 year olds and above which it has, the posters child is a 13 year old.

Regards those younger than 12 we all know that no approval has been agreed for that yet, hence why they've not started vaccinating them yet.

More off-topic posts here have been removed, as the discussion in this thread has gone very far afield from the topic of the thread.

Ministry official hints you'll need to be vaxxed to do things in public in Thailand

Posts that continue to attempt to divert the thread away from the topic will be removed.

On 11/17/2021 at 8:50 AM, Toolong said:

I don't wish to shift too much from the main issue here, which is essentially the possible imposition of restrictive & puntive social sanctions against those unvaccinated, but could someone just explain to me why I might be incorrect in thinking that if vaccinated people can still become infected with C19.....and if vaccinated people can still infect others with C19, why should it be assumed that UNvaccinated people are a particular risk to others? (A risk to themselves, yes.) It's a genuine query and I am happy to be shown up as having faulty logic or as being uninformed if that is the case. 

(I am fully vaccinated btw, but only cos I could see exactly this kind of s**t coming down the road.....and lo, here it comes.)

Because vaccination prevents infection by up to 90%, and if you are not infected, you can’t infect anyone else.

Think about it like Polio, if this were a Polio epidemic, would you be happy if the unvaccinated were allowed everywhere?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

Quite right. Which includes this organisation's views.

Which is where the anti-Vaxxers get crushed, since vaccine efficacy is demonstrated via hundreds of clinical trials worldwide. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/effectiveness.html?s_cid=10464:covid vaccine effective:sem.ga:p:RG:GM:gen:PTN:FY21

Edited by Danderman123

Negative COVID ATK tests, proof of 2 jabs required for Bangkok’s Loy Krathong

This year’s celebrations of the annual Loy Krathong festival, on Friday November 19th, will embrace the “new normal” lifestyle, as all visitors to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA)’s approved venues must show proof of two COVID vaccination jabs or COVID-19 negative test results for a test done within 72 hours prior to entering the venue.

Deputy Governor of Bangkok, Kriangyod Sudlapa has announced this year’s locations for official Loy Krathong festivities in the capital, under the COVID-Free Setting and Universal Prevention measures.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/negative-covid-atk-tests-proof-of-2-jabs-required-for-bangkoks-loy-krathong/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Gr3g said:

Key word in my previous post is "pretend/pretending"

We all know that each and every individual that decided to take a vaccine, done so in self interest.

This seems not enough for many, therefore they victimise unvaccinated and are happy for governments to force this upon people, once again in self interest!

To go down the path of forcing people to get/do something they are reluctant to, will benefit goverments only.

Remember that this time around you may be in agreement with draconian messures to take away people rights just because they are free to make life choices.

When the next pandemic or any other world event arrives, you might be in the vicctimised camp, so think carefully when you advocate to force others to do something in self interest.

First off, you accused some pro-vaxxers of pretendinig to do it for others. You a mind reader? But there is a thing called enlightened self interest. That's what might be motivating them. You should look that concept up.

People are "forced" to do things all the time. Pay taxes, wear a seatbelt, etc. You apparently believe in "a right not to be vaccinated". Rights have to be balanced with obligations. If you are exercising a "right" that gravely affects public health, maybe that shouldn't be a right at all. Maybe you believe that everyone has the right to help make the public health system crash. I don't.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Which is where the anti-Vaxxers get crushed, since vaccine efficacy is demonstrated via hundreds of clinical trials worldwide. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/effectiveness.html?s_cid=10464:covid vaccine effective:sem.ga:p:RG:GM:gen:PTN:FY21

I'm not an anti-vaxxer supporter, however having experienced the full blast of Covid attacking my immune system, and recovering from it, I'm relying on my antibodies protecting me to at least a similar degree to any current vax.

For those who have not been infected, I would recommend a vax protector rather than experience the full blast of Covid.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gr3g said:

Plenty of people exercise their right to excessive consumption of sugar, processed fats, alcohol, tobacco, etc. knowing that will lead to poor health down the road and others will need contribute towards their treatments/hospitalisation/medications.

Many of the same people are in high covid risk now, but at the same time would love the healthier group that are not very much concerned with covid risk, to get vaccinated so they can feel safer.

Double standards, don't you think.

Once again FYI, I'm fully vaccinated but would never agree, let alone advocate for others to be forcefully vaccinated so I can feel better/safer.

First off, I don't care if you're vaccinated or not. These repeated claims by various parties who claim to support the rights of individuals not to be vaccinated are just shoddy pieces of social engineering. They provide no support to the validity of your arguments. Let's stick to facts and logic.

Yes, plenty of people do indulge in such behavior. But as we know, getting people to change their behaviors, whether it's obesity, alcohol abuse, or drug abuse is very difficult  because these are behaviors that get rewarded. with pleasure As far as I'm aware, non-vaccinating is not a behavior that delivers jolts of pleasure via the nervous system. Also, health the system is adapted to people with these behaviors. But right now the system is under threat from frequent surges of this pandemic. 

Edited by placeholder
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

This statement is not peer reviewed. Put it this way. My whole body's immune system faced the full blast including the main protein spike- say at 9 on the 1-10 scale.

Vax only protects the main protein spike, not the whole body - say a 7 on the 1 - -10 scale.  Which provides the better protection if and when a future infection arises?

The big problem I have with this is that it makes sense to protect oneself against symptomatic and severe Covid, which can only be achieved with vaccination. To pursue solely herd immunity just seems nonsensical. This may be less of an issue when the newer Covid treatments (like Paxlovid or molnupiravir) become further tried and tested. 

Edited by jacko45k

5 minutes ago, DjSilver said:

If you are so scared maybe you should stay home in your rat hole? The privacy of my person goes before any other person. The same for you and if you are scared don't go out.

There are a few dodges people without legitimate counter-arguments resort to. In your case, you make it personal. You've got nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bring on the mandates! There is no reason for Thailand to accept unvaccinated visitors. There is no right to be a tourist. In addition, tourists looking at Thailand should be reassured that everyone on the plane is vaccinated. It will be a big marketing plus.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, James105 said:

Not really.  I just don't think that unhealthy people should be making decisions about what healthy people do with their bodies.   The vaccines are not 100% risk free and the benefits diminish the younger and healthier the person is.  For her it is clearly a no-brainer she gets the vaccine as she is morbidly obese and would be very likely to get a severe illness from covid.  For a healthy 20 year old that may have already had covid and not noticed, it is an unnecessary risk to take and they should not have their lives restricted for making that choice.   

What makes this argument obvious nonsense is the assumption that she made this decision without consulting others. Presumably some of those experts she did consult are not obese.  As for the vaccination being an unnecessary risk for a 20 year old to take, the data show overwhelmingly that it's more of a risk for that 20 year old not to take it.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 8:20 AM, GeorgeCross said:

no jab no extension.. only a matter of time..

this one will be easy to enforce and oh so popular amongst the ruling elite

What country would want a bunch of unvaccinated foreigners in it? Anti-vaxers are most likely to be anti-maskers, anti-hand washers, virus deniers and the most likely to engage in behavior most likely to spread the disease. Their country, their rules. Don’t like it, leave. Expats are allowed to live her at the government’s discretion. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Because vaccination prevents infection by up to 90%, and if you are not infected, you can’t infect anyone else.

Think about it like Polio, if this were a Polio epidemic, would you be happy if the unvaccinated were allowed everywhere?

But does 'vaccination prevent infection by up to 90%' ? Are you certain? With respect, I haven't personally ever read of such a claim or anything like it as a proven statistic. Prevent death, yes, but infection?

(I could be wrong. Perhaps I haven't been paying attention! ????)

1 hour ago, DjSilver said:

If you are so scared maybe you should stay home in your rat hole? The privacy of my person goes before any other person. The same for you and if you are scared don't go out.

Not during an epidemic. Public health supersedes your right to infect others.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stephenterry said:

I'm not an anti-vaxxer supporter, however having experienced the full blast of Covid attacking my immune system, and recovering from it, I'm relying on my antibodies protecting me to at least a similar degree to any current vax.

For those who have not been infected, I would recommend a vax protector rather than experience the full blast of Covid.  

You need to get vaccinated.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7044e1.htm

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, stephenterry said:

The comments are it is not as effective as vaccinations and that it too wanes over time.

That maybe comments but not scientific fact. The human body retains its antibody defence far longer than vax - which as you could know, the vax shots only prevents a serious outcome because only the Covid protein spikes are blocked, not the full force of the infection - unlike those who have had and recovered from Covid. 

Also, it's scientific fact that regular booster shots do not do the immune system any favours - it's like going to a well and filling buckets of water in a drought.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7044e1.htm

Off topic posts and replies have been removed, please remember this topic is about:

The strongest indication yet from Thai officialdom about vaccination sends a strong message to anti-vaxxers or the unvaccinated.

Get jabbed or be faced with being unable to do very much in public in Thailand

Senior Ministry of Health official Dr Kiatphoom Wongrajit suggested as much as he announced the latest figures for vaccination in Thailand.

Forum Netiquette:

7. Please do not post off-topic responses in an attempt to hijack the thread. Such posts will be deleted.

21 minutes ago, Toolong said:

But does 'vaccination prevent infection by up to 90%' ? Are you certain? With respect, I haven't personally ever read of such a claim or anything like it as a proven statistic. Prevent death, yes, but infection?

(I could be wrong. Perhaps I haven't been paying attention! ????)

You should pay attention

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s real simple, people:

Vaccination prevents the spread of the virus, so, of course the Ministry is going to do everything possible to encourage people to get vaccinated.

Even if you refuse to get vaccinated yourself, don’t you want everyone else to get vaccinated?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 11/17/2021 at 8:20 AM, GeorgeCross said:

no jab no extension.. only a matter of time..

this one will be easy to enforce and oh so popular amongst the ruling elite

What country would want a bunch of unvaccinated foreigners in it? Anti-vaxers are most likely to be anti-maskers, anti-hand washers, virus deniers and the most likely to engage in behavior most likely to spread the disease. Their country, their rules. Don’t like it, leave. Expats are allowed to live her at the government’s discretion. 

• Like 1