Free Moderna booster dose for over 70s, pregnant women at Thai Red Cross Society

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Should they also write off the thousands they pre-paid for Moderna?

I think many people prepaid thinking they couldn't get anything else earlier. They could have. Personally I have zero understanding or sympathy for people that have waited for a perceived "better" vaccine for several months, going without any vaccination which HAS BEEN AVAILABLE in the meantime. Of course people should get what they paid for in general but this is a very specific and historic situation. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Thai Red Cross Society is offering free Moderna vaccine shots as a booster for people who are over 70 and women who are at least 12-week pregnant and at least 18 years old.

I bet this will make those who bought and are still waiting for Moderna shots spit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, heybruce said:

Free Moderna for already vaccinated people while unvaccinated people who paid for Moderna months ago are still waiting.

Yes, I received the twoPfizer shots as a retired Expat from the USA donation. Stepdaughter now has had her two Pfizer shots through her school. Thai wife? Still awaiting the Moderna vaccine we paid for months ago …

• Like 2

Of the initial 1.9 mm dose order, the TRC was said to be interested in 1.0 mm for their own use. They said they would be using them for under-served people. TRC would administer these for free. TRC is essentially a quasi-government organization, but not part of the MoH. It is ruled separately.

~ 600,000 have been delivered, another ~ 1.4 mm said to be due on/before 31 Dec.

Not sure exactly how much the TRC skimmed off that first lot? My SWAG would be 100,000 ~ 150,000 doses.

Edited by mtls2005

"must have already received two doses of either AstraZeneca, Pfizer or Moderna vaccines with the second dose given Before July 31st"...last shot was September 30th...otherwise would have had a go..

12 hours ago, heybruce said:

Free Moderna for already vaccinated people while unvaccinated people who paid for Moderna months ago are still waiting.

you pays your money and takes your chance !!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rinrada said:

"must have already received two doses of either AstraZeneca, Pfizer or Moderna vaccines with the second dose given Before July 31st"...last shot was September 30th...otherwise would have had a go..

likewise .  I will keep the website address and see if I can apply in 2 months time if they still have this offer and vaccine  

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

They shouldn't have waited. They could have had Astra Zenica or Sinovac with a booster.

No they couldn't, they were offered Sinovac followed by Astra Zenica. Boosters have not been universally approved for Thailand yet.

3 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

Is this only for Thai people or also do Americans counts since in most case we gave you the vaccine for free and like always get nothing back in exchange.

Well the online form is asking for a 13 digit ID number, do you have one? ????

16 hours ago, heybruce said:

the Moderna doses for unvaccinated folks who previously paid for future doses via private hospitals have begun to trickle out, based on various posts here.

My Thai wife, unvaccinated at present, reserved and paid for a pair of Moderna doses a month or two back via a private hospital in BKK. Yesterday, she got an SMS from the hospital advising her to come for her first Moderna shot tomorrow/Friday.

I'm also on that same hospital's list for a booster shot following two AZ doses earlier this year. But the hospital made it clear they've put the unvaccinated folks to the front of their Moderna queue, and those seeking booster shots such as myself later in line.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

On 11/18/2021 at 9:32 AM, Deli said:

We all know that the Clowns in charge screwed up big time. Otherwise months ago the headline would have been: Free quality vaccine for everybody now !

As I understand it, a Thai pharmaceutical company with the right connections (big time connections) got the exclusive right to manufacture AstraZeneca in Thailand.  Since then the priority was to restrict future competition for this company, regardless of the cost to the nation.

• Like 1

I guess those who qualify for this Red Cross offer who live in or close to Bangkok and who bought their Moderna already, but then got free vaccination before 30 Sep (Sinovac/pharm) or 31 July (AZ/Pf) may now go for this free offer and hope to onsell or give away their prepaid dose(s) later.

I doubt there will be many of these though. Few who paid would have jumped across to Chinese doses and there was not a lot of AZ/Pf around before 31 July.

I guess there are many like me. I bought 4 doses of Mod but jumped at free AZ thru Intervac - dosed in August & October. Family got tired of waiting for free good stuff and the repeatedly deferred Moderna and decided to pay for Sinopharm last dosed a couple of weeks ago.

Hopefully our Moderna doses arrive at an appropriate time for boosting. We are not in the current batch queue so maybe a qst quarter batch next year will work.

However, sorry to all you shadenfreude expats out there who relish the thought of those who could afford to pay losing out. None of us in my family care a damn if we end up 'losing' the money. What's gone is gone and if you can afford to buy it's unlikely its loss will have broken the bank. I personally would enjoy giving away my doses to less fortunate friends or local needies if that's the ultimate outcome.

Edited by SantiSuk

On 11/20/2021 at 4:36 AM, heybruce said:

As I understand it, a Thai pharmaceutical company with the right connections (big time connections) got the exclusive right to manufacture AstraZeneca in Thailand.  Since then the priority was to restrict future competition for this company, regardless of the cost to the nation.

nothing surprises me here