Covid 60 extension, IO Chaeng Watthana asking for flight ticket

14 hours ago, MZsolt said:

Hey All,

today I went to apply so called Covid visa extension and was asked to show a flight ticket to leave TH. Same situation for few other guys too who were there in same time with me.

Don't leave us hanging.

Then what happened?

Were you advised to depart Thailand before your current extension expires? Or were you offered other options?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Don't leave us hanging.

Then what happened?

Were you advised to depart Thailand before your current extension expires? Or were you offered other options?

Sorry for my late answer.

I will do for what they ask and will show them my flight ticket. Actually it was nice to get many Covid extension but I was sure that can not keep going like this for the next 50 years 55

Edited by MZsolt
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, that's disappointing. A cancelled flight out or any flight is not required.

Did you have the affidavit with you. 

So you attended CW? 

Which visa did you previously have? Tourist Visa? 

https://aseannow.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=727659 229.8 kB · 787 downloads

Hi Jack,

yes, Tourist Visa.

It was not much dissapointing as I have heard some reports about this issue earlier.

So now I prepared to show them what they wish to see and lets see what will be next.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MZsolt said:

Hi Jack,

yes, Tourist Visa.

It was not much dissapointing as I have heard some reports about this issue earlier.

So now I prepared to show them what they wish to see and lets see what will be next.

Did you tell them that you plan to leave Thailand?

12 minutes ago, MZsolt said:

Hi Jack,

yes, Tourist Visa.

Disappointing.

Here is post from another thread. His experience yesterday at CW. 

@Daithi85

"OK just been to immigration applied for covid extension exactly the same requirements as before,my extension was due to finish Dec 20th, so I applied 3 weeks early so I thought I would have got the 30 days underconsderation stamp added on which would take me to January 20th. I was told to still come back again December 20th and will then get 60day."

Another post same person.

"Everything exactly the same as the before ,just ticked the box that says no embasy letter same as I always do,nothing about flights, everything done very quickly. The only difference was the stamp ,I still have to go back on the date my previous extension expires, the lady said when I come back I will get 60days added on then."

Edited by DrJack54

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He also wrote he has a valid PE visa. He should of contacted Thai Elite and tried to sort it out.

Is there a legal way to sort it out? It seems to me that you cannot apply for a one-year extension of a Non Immigrant entry for the reason of extending your entry on a PE visa. Similarly, you cannot request the 30-day extension of a tourist entry when on a Non Immigrant entry. The rules should be different (as far as those holding a PE visa are concerned) but the rules are what they are, and I cannot see what Thailand Elite staff could do about it.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

Thailand is open do you have a  return ticket.  Some others got turned away because they wasnt aware of a return flight ticket required for Covid Extension

They most likely not aware because it is not a requirement.

BTW what do you mean by "return ticket"? Surely it would only need to be ticket out of the country.

So the io required you to show outbound confirmation of flight.

What did you show. Meaning proof of flight. Did you book it on the spot. 

These reports are diametrically opposed to some other reports of obtaining covid extension at CW as recently as yesterday.

Re my post above ~ 3 posts back.

Edited by DrJack54

Just now, DrJack54 said:

They most likely not aware because it is not a requirement.

BTW what do you mean by "return ticket"? Surely it would only need to be ticket out of the country.

So the io required you to show outbound confirmation of flight.

What did you show. Meaning proof of flight. Did you book it on the spot. 

These reports are diametrically opposed to some other reports of obtaining covid extension at CW as recently as yesterday.

Flight out of BKK.  They wanted to see proof of a flight out of BKK.  I already had one booked for 23rd January.  They spent about 5-10 minutes looking at the confirmation flight out.  Then requested to see a recipet and how much i paid.

Other people were booking on the spot.  Some were asked to come back another day.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

Other people were booking on the spot.  Some were asked to come back another day.

So from your observations sounds like everyone was being asked to show flight out? 

To see people "booking on the spot" and others asked to "come back another day".

Surprised haven't seen lot of reports. 

Have seen a couple of being hassled.

Also reports of no issue at all.

Did you provide affidavit and were prepared to tick box 2 relating to no embassy letter available?!

33 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

I can CONFIRM they asked for a return ticket.  I saw others frantically buying a ticket straight away.  My officer even requested a receipt of the ticket.  The officer said stay here long time, Thailand is open do you have a  return ticket.  Some others got turned away because they wasnt aware of a return flight ticket required for Covid Extension.

How did the conversation go exactly, especially if somebody doesn't have plans to leave?

I got a Covid extension about 6 weeks ago at CW, back then the IO asked me when I will go back to Germany, I said I don't plan go back to Germany, then I got my extension.

Wouldn't make sense if the IO asked me for a ticket out after I just said that I don't plan to leave, so how would the conversation continue in this case?

Could it be that people tell the IO that they are going to leave, because they are somehow scared of the IO, and then the IO uses this opportunity to troll them and ask for a ticket?

Bangkok also seems to be the only Immigration office (CW? MTT? both?) where this happens.

Everybody who is asked for a flight out, please specify if it was at CW or at MTT and if the IO was male or female, so we can narrow down if this happens at both locations, and if multiple IOs do this.

Edited by jackdd
  • Haha 2

Just now, jackdd said:

How did the conversation go exactly, especially if somebody doesn't have plans to leave?

I got a Covid extension about 6 weeks ago at CW, back then the IO asked me when I will go back to Germany, I said I simply said I don't plan go back to Germany, then I got my extension.

Wouldn't make sense if the IO asked me for a ticket out after I just said that I don't plan to leave, so how would the conversation continue in this case?

Could it be that people tell the IO that they are going to leave, because they are somehow scared of the IO, and then the IO uses this opportunity to troll them and ask for a ticket?

Bangkok also seems to be the only Immigration office (CW? MTT? both?) where this happens.

I went to CW, got my ticket for J counter.  I was sitting outside and waiting.  Then an officer came and asked for my passport and checked my covid extensions.  Said oh you been here long time.  Thailand is open can go home.    I had said nothing at all and then she said do you have return ticket.  Same conversion happened with other people waiting to be seen.  Some others had no return flight tickets booked and they didnt get called to go in to the counter.

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So from your observations sounds like everyone was being asked to show flight out? 

To see people "booking on the spot" and others asked to "come back another day".

Surprised haven't seen lot of reports. 

Have seen a couple of being hassled.

Also reports of no issue at all.

Did you provide affidavit and were prepared to tick box 2 relating to no embassy letter available?!

Yes i ticked no embassy letter available.  They didnt even review that form.  Just came to me sitting down asked for what my ticket number is.  I was #9 and it was on #5, she asked for my passport and saw my tourist visa that i came here from 8th Jan and said long time, do you have return ticket.  As i was in the counter when officer was reviewing my documents, someone got turned away and he was saying why didnt anyone tell him that needed a return ticket blah blah (agree with him).  I only booked a return flight because i saw on FB forum many others were asked the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

I only booked a return flight because i saw on FB forum many others were asked the same thing

I find it amazing that all these references to "many others were asked the same thing"...

AseanNow hasn't been flooded with these reports.

Yes a few with comments from io along lines of "this is your last one" etc 

Also many (recent)  obtained covid extension no issue. 

You mentioned previously checked your flight booking .....

"They spent about 5-10 minutes looking at the confirmation flight out"

What do you mean by looking at  the confirmation flight out?

5-10 minutes. What did they actually do..

A confirmed flight is just a screenshot. 

Did they spend time on their computer checking flight status.

Find this all weird.

Did you observe anyone asking to speak to supervisor as I certainly would. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

I find it amazing that all these references to "many others were asked the same thing"...

AseanNow hasn't been flooded with these reports.

Yes a few with comments from io along lines of "this is your last one" etc 

Also many (recent)  obtained covid extension no issue. 

You mentioned previously checked your flight booking .....

"They spent about 5-10 minutes looking at the confirmation flight out"

What do you mean by looking at  the confirmation flight out?

5-10 minutes. What did they actually do..

A confirmed flight is just a screenshot. 

Did they spend time on their computer checking flight status.

Find this all weird.

Did you observe anyone asking to speak to supervisor as I certainly would. 

Iam just repeating my experience.  They were analysing the ticket and i dont know why, just reading the date, the location etc.  Then after asked for a copy (perhaps a bad print out)    They didnt check the flight status, maybe just bad english that they couldnt read it.   AseanNow hasnt been flooded and not sure why, but the FB forum is flooded with same experience i had.

I didnt see anyone asked to speak to advisor, the observations i noticed

1.  One Chinese American was asked to come back on Monday, he was saying he could book ticket now but was asked to come back and he complained why didnt anyone tell him.  He had about 3 IO around him that time.

2.  An old guy with thai wife was speaking to another officer and he was booking a ticket then.  His thai wife was helping to speak to the IO.

3.  Another guy was sitting and waiting, an IO asked to see his passport and said the same thing to me, that hes been here too long and asked for a return ticket.  He said he have one.

4. Another guy was asked the same thing and he didnt have a return ticket, but by that time i was told to go to the counter.

5. Some others were doing 30 day extensions.  

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pantsonfire said:

Flight out of BKK.  They wanted to see proof of a flight out of BKK.  I already had one booked for 23rd January.  They spent about 5-10 minutes looking at the confirmation flight out.  Then requested to see a recipet and how much i paid.

They may have access to systems (GDS) where they can access a PNR (with name)?

Onward ticket booking services may not pass muster?

And you may not have any recourse, short of an overstay, if you fail to depart as stated, or before your current extension expires.

Sounds like they want to wean folks off the COVID extensions?

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

They may have access to systems (GDS) where they can access a PNR (with name)?

Onward ticket booking services may not pass muster?

And you may not have any recourse, short of an overstay, if you fail to depart as stated, or before your current extension expires.

Could be in a moderate way , as Thailand seems to start opening ......or more "looking like they are opening" to genuine tourists ..... but then they should open also land borders ..., and then the visa runs can replace those covid extensions 

Edited by david555
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, david555 said:

but then they should open also land borders ..., and then the visa runs can replace those covid extensions 

What's a ballpark guess on when that will happen.

Also land borders requires "both sides" to open and also what would be the reentry requirements.

41 minutes ago, david555 said:

Could be in a moderate way , as Thailand seems to start opening ......or more "looking like they are opening" to genuine tourists ..... but then they should open also land borders ..., and then the visa runs can replace those covid extensions 

agreed, those on covid extensions are probably expected to be making an effort to return home
if they were actually stranded here while visiting as tourists
not a nice situation for many wishing to remain here or not wanting to return home or go elsewhere
soon immigration will put pressure on many, and i expoect they will log the return flight dates and expect people to be on them.
but i do expect the covid extension to be available for as long as the country is in a state of emergency
which will be for as long as they want the EUA jabs to be available

• Like 1

How long did people think this free ride was going to last, people have been coming and going from Thailand for sometime now. In the OP situations it is too bad she is from a country who doesn't care about it citizens but in the end not Thailands fault nor any other country.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, patman30 said:

soon immigration will put pressure on many, and i expoect they will log the return flight dates and expect people to be on them.

I think your giving immigration officers too much credit. 

I always treat them with respect. However don't lose sight of fact that they are clerks. 

Have a very uncomplicated list of requirements and they do it every day. 

The next few days/weeks will be interesting to read updates of what's happening on the front line with covid extensions. Especially eye on CW.

Would have been last office I would have guessed would start this rubbish. 

Lot going on with possible amnesty. My thinking that's just an aside down to what happened with covid cluster recently at immigration office. 

That aside it was almost certain that the covid extensions would continue on after Nov 27.

Then this rubbish about demands from io to get out of Dodge and show flight. 

Can't make this stuff up.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a bizarre situation.

"Please can I apply for the covid extension because I cannot go home?"

"When is your flight home?"

????

"Please can I take advantage of your government allowing people to apply for a covid extension to remain in Thailand up until 26th November?"

"You have been here too long!"

????

Seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

What a bizarre situation.

"Please can I apply for the covid extension because I cannot go home?"

"When is your flight home?"

????

"Please can I take advantage of your government allowing people to apply for a covid extension to remain in Thailand up until 26th November?"

"You have been here too long!"

????

Seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Well the good news is .....by my estimation in Thai way ....50/50 chance ????

Edited by david555

30 minutes ago, moe666 said:

How long did people think this free ride was going to last, people have been coming and going from Thailand for sometime now. In the OP situations it is too bad she is from a country who doesn't care about it citizens but in the end not Thailands fault nor any other country.

Especially because with new tourists coming into Thailand anyone can now extend by 60 days indefinitely unless they control it. Game over..time for plan B

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, tonray said:

Especially because with new tourists coming into Thailand anyone can now extend by 60 days indefinitely unless they control it. Game over..time for plan B

You can look at it another way.

Prior to covid tourists could come to Thailand and do borders runs with visa exempt reentry (2 allowed per calendar year) each one can be extended by 30 days.

They could also take cheap flight to somewhere like Saigon for visa or visa exempt reentry. 

None of that is currently possible. 

So folk spending 1900 baht for 2 month extension is a negative?

What's the downside. Negative expats here with some axe to grind. 

What is that? Simple case of jealousy.

Open some or one land border and stop covid extensions ok can't argue with that.

Edit: can't believe the timing. So this thread just started as I posted. 

'Hi, i'm a Brit in the UK double jabbed (will have the third jab very soon)

This covid malarkey has made everything very complicated now. I will be applying for a tourist visa at the embassy next week for a planned trip back to Thailand in January. What is the longest i can realistically stay on a tourist visa with extensions etc?" 

Pre covid he could stay for ages given what I outlined in above in this post.

Now his options are??

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I think your giving immigration officers too much credit. 

I always treat them with respect. However don't lose sight of fact that they are clerks. 

Have a very uncomplicated list of requirements and they do it every day. 

The next few days/weeks will be interesting to read updates of what's happening on the front line with covid extensions. Especially eye on CW.

Would have been last office I would have guessed would start this rubbish. 

Lot going on with possible amnesty. My thinking that's just an aside down to what happened with covid cluster recently at immigration office. 

That aside it was almost certain that the covid extensions would continue on after Nov 27.

Then this rubbish about demands from io to get out of Dodge and show flight. 

Can't make this stuff up.

credit for what?
they are order followers
they get told "ask for flights"
they start asking for flights
power always lies with the individual officer, they can ask for whatever they want.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1