Incentives being considered to entice remaining 11m Thais to get vaccinated

snoop1130

Came across a farang yesterday in the 7-11 who obviously is in denial. He failed the temp check, but ignored the servers protestations to test again and went straight in to find his purchases while being vocal. I felt like keeping my distance if this guy is reading hot...While paying he was banging on about how it is all BS.... mask on, but below nose.

Not fair on the staff in these places really. He tried to engage me and my comment of 'With over 5 million dead and buried, I am going along with it'... and his response is 'Well you better stay clear, as I am not vaccinated'..... So not only a scofflaw, but gets his kicks from worrying those who may consider the threat real!

Takes all types......

Edited by jacko45k
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Came across a farang yesterday in the 7-11 who obviously is in denial. He failed the temp check, but ignored the servers protestations to test again and went straight in to find his purchases while being vocal. I felt like keeping my distance if this guy is reading hot...While paying he was banging on about how it is all BS.... mask on, but below nose.

Not fair on the staff in these places really. He tried to engage me and my comment of 'Well over 5 million dead and buried I am going along with it'... and his response is 'Well you better stay clear, as I am not vaccinated'..... So not only a scofflaw, but gets his kicks from worrying those who may consider the threat real!

Takes all types......

and we wonder why we're referred to as 'dirty foreigners'..................... every dog has it's day.............................in that I trust.............................

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Misinformation.

It happens that countries that vax a lot, test a lot.

Not always true.

Thailand are doing a great job at the moment and are getting the jabs done, but the number of daily tests are still very very low.

Imagine what the daily numbers of positives in Thailand would be if they used Denmark's test strategy.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-tests-per-thousand-people-smoothed-7-day?tab=chart&country=DNK~THA

It's not cheap.

If my memory is correct we spent more than 20 billion kroner in 2 years which is approx 100 billion baht on just PCR/quick test in a 5.8 million population.

Hopefully it's worth the money.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 6:25 PM, Bkk Brian said:

No high rising cases, deaths or hospitalizations going on in Israel, only a steep decline, check your facts before posting nonsense.

Singapore also in a steep decline. 

Israel is just getting over a very large surge and Singapore is currently right in the middle of a very large surge in cases. Both countries have very high vaccination rates and both countries have had very large surges. It is happening in a lot of places. Nearly all of the European countries are now experiencing very large surges. They have high vaccination rates also. Oddly, India is not experiencing any surges after the last one ended months ago and they still have very low vaccination rates. 

The big plus is even though cases are up, deaths are down.

You sir, are the one that needs to check your facts. You were correct months ago but not today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, runamok27 said:

Israel is just getting over a very large surge and Singapore is currently right in the middle of a very large surge in cases. Both countries have very high vaccination rates and both countries have had very large surges. It is happening in a lot of places. Nearly all of the European countries are now experiencing very large surges. They have high vaccination rates also. Oddly, India is not experiencing any surges after the last one ended months ago and they still have very low vaccination rates. 

The big plus is even though cases are up, deaths are down.

You sir, are the one that needs to check your facts. You were correct months ago but not today.

Perhaps check where I mentioned there hadn't been a surge in cases in Israel or Singapore, I specifically said they where now in decline, there is your fact check, thank you.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 6:25 PM, Almer said:

I’m interested no more than that to know where in Issan are people still waiting for there first shot of anything?

People who signed up for Moderna are waiting all over the country for their first shots. The Thai government is just going to have to accept the fact that people do not want the Chinese vaccines. They made a huge mistake not ordering Pfizer and Moderna from the beginning.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, runamok27 said:

People who signed up for Moderna are waiting all over the country for their first shots. The Thai government is just going to have to accept the fact that people do not want the Chinese vaccines. They made a huge mistake not ordering Pfizer and Moderna from the beginning.

People can just take AZ+Pfizer, and foreigners could even get 2*Pfizer. But I guess people prefer to complain.

On 11/19/2021 at 7:01 PM, Eric Loh said:

If she registered late, she in the back of the queue. That simple. My GF got her shot early Nov because she was diligent to register and pay early. Can’t keep blaming the system if you don’t do your part. 

A lot of places have just started giving out the Moderna shots and they will take a while to get to everyone who signed up. These people didn't register late that's just the way it is. I fully understand the restrictions in say, the U.S.A. because everybody could have gotten the vaccine by now but in Thailand that is just not true and would be completely unfair. Think of it this way, if those Pfizer doses hadn't been donated to Thailand with the stipulation that x number go to foreigners a whole lot of you all on this forum would not have gotten vaccinated either. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not fair on the staff in these places really. He tried to engage me and my comment of 'With over 5 million dead and buried, I am going along with it'... and his response is 'Well you better stay clear, as I am not vaccinated'..... So not only a scofflaw, but gets his kicks from worrying those who may consider the threat real!

Takes all types......

At times like that one can only appeal to Darwin's law , it works eventually.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2021 at 7:46 AM, Stoker58 said:

Singapore, very high vax rate and now very high and rising covid cases because they’ve screwed up their immune systems. Gibraltar and Israel the same.

Do you mean that repetitive doses of a given vaccine have a negative influence on the human immune system ?

It looks like that everybody will need to take regular booster shots in the future ...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Do you mean that repetitive doses of a given vaccine have a negative influence on the human immune system ?

It looks like that everybody will need to take regular booster shots in the future ...

Vaccinations for viral infection often require multiple jabs. So, what’s your point?

2 hours ago, ThePugAndMe said:

What is your proof of that?

The reason we wear masks and every healthy person is being treated as if they are a disease carrier is simply because apparently the majority of people who get it have no symptoms. That's what my own eyes and ears are telling me - all the people I know who contracted this terrible disease were fine within a day or two.

The only reason we were supposed to get the vaccines to prevent the health system from being overloaded (because 2 years in, they still haven't beefed it up). Since the health systems are being overloaded in countries with 75-90% of the adult pop vaxxed, it seems the vaccines are pointless.

The smart thing would have been to give them to the people that need it (elderly + immunocompromised), let the rest of us get on with our lives and contract natural immunity. Diamond princess cruise ship results already told us most of us have cross reactivity and some immunity.

There is so much wrong in your post, it’s hard to know where to start.

Masks, vaccination and lockdowns have kept hospital systems from collapse, for the most part. 

Your personal experience apparently is insufficiently broad to include the 700,000+ Americans and 130,000 Brits who died from Covid, including many who thought they were as invincible as you. Letting the epidemic rage free would have killed millions of otherwise healthy people, as people were converted to mutation laboratories by the virus. 

• Thanks 2

On 11/20/2021 at 2:12 AM, hioctane said:

It’s available for everyone over 12 currently.

That is a lot of bullocks. Wife has been waiting for several weeks now for an appointment.

What you are saying is that it is available for everybody in BKK maybe. We are down South, we don't count....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

There is so much wrong in your post, it’s hard to know where to start.

Masks, vaccination and lockdowns have kept hospital systems from collapse, for the most part. 

Your personal experience apparently is insufficiently broad to include the 700,000+ Americans and 130,000 Brits who died from Covid, including many who thought they were as invincible as you. Letting the epidemic rage free would have killed millions of otherwise healthy people, as people were converted to mutation laboratories by the virus. 

Why don't you refresh your memory on the Diamond Princess cruise ship before you claim that my personal experience is meaningless.

I have friends (some of them of advanced age) who brush off Covid as if it's nothing and we have government officials from Italy, Germany, the UK, US etc admitting to counting deaths in weird manners. So I will let two years worth of lived experience guide me better than meaningless fudged statistics I no longer trust:

Anyway back to the Diamond Princess...

Here's a refresher: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Princess_(ship)#Coronavirus_disease_2019

Despite the virus circulating freely. The age corrected lethality was between 0.025% and 0.625%. Only 26% of the passengers tested positive and of them, 48% were symptomless. And these were mostly old folks. That is simply not how a truly novel virus behaves when it encounters a population without any pre-existing cross-reactive immunity.

So no, masks, vaccination and lockdowns haven't done f'all except destroy people's livelihoods, formative years of development, kept them from their loves ones and most heinously it's allowing for the selection of more deadly strains and preventing us from catching the less virulant strains (with fast mutating viruses like coronaviruses, frequent exposure to low virulant strains is how our immune system memory is built up).

But please go ahead and educate me on mutations. I'd love to hear your theories.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ThePugAndMe said:

Why don't you refresh your memory on the Diamond Princess cruise ship before you claim that my personal experience is meaningless.

I have friends (some of them of advanced age) who brush off Covid as if it's nothing and we have government officials from Italy, Germany, the UK, US etc admitting to counting deaths in weird manners. So I will let two years worth of lived experience guide me better than meaningless fudged statistics I no longer trust:

Anyway back to the Diamond Princess...

Here's a refresher: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Princess_(ship)#Coronavirus_disease_2019

Despite the virus circulating freely. The age corrected lethality was between 0.025% and 0.625%. Only 26% of the passengers tested positive and of them, 48% were symptomless. And these were mostly old folks. That is simply not how a truly novel virus behaves when it encounters a population without any pre-existing cross-reactive immunity.

So no, masks, vaccination and lockdowns haven't done f'all except destroy people's livelihoods, formative years of development, kept them from their loves ones and most heinously it's allowing for the selection of more deadly strains and preventing us from catching the less virulant strains (with fast mutating viruses like coronaviruses, frequent exposure to low virulant strains is how our immune system memory is built up).

But please go ahead and educate me on mutations. I'd love to hear your theories.

First off, the YouTube video shows someone who later admitted they made a mistake in describing the statistical process for mortality. Same with the UK, their methodology for overnight mortality numbers is different than their process for generating death certificates.

so, now that we have your misinformation out of the way, let’s get to the Diamond Princess, where passengers were quarantined in their quarters. Despite the quarantine, some passengers contracted Covid - due to contamination of the food that was brought to them. Which meant that some were exposed, and some were not.

However, I do suspect that some people have an innate immunity to Covid, even if they have never been vaccinated or had the disease. It may be that they were previously infected with a similar coronavirus. There hasn’t been a lot reported on this.

oh, here’s some trivia: I was on the Diamond Princess.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

First off, the YouTube video shows someone who later admitted they made a mistake in describing the statistical process for mortality. Same with the UK, their methodology for overnight mortality numbers is different than their process for generating death certificates.

so, now that we have your misinformation out of the way, let’s get to the Diamond Princess, where passengers were quarantined in their quarters. Despite the quarantine, some passengers contracted Covid - due to contamination of the food that was brought to them. Which meant that some were exposed, and some were not.

However, I do suspect that some people have an innate immunity to Covid, even if they have never been vaccinated or had the disease. It may be that they were previously infected with a similar coronavirus. There hasn’t been a lot reported on this.

oh, here’s some trivia: I was on the Diamond Princess.

Wait, you were on the Diamond Princess?  Tell us what that was like.  Do you think the crew generally handled the situation well?