Yes health insurance is a scam in Thailand

Pravda

42 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Yes, I'm one  of those. Age and pre-existing conditions disqualify me anyway, but my view was coloured a good few years ago by a casual acquaintance who came into the bar one day with a foot heavily bandaged. He was coming to say goodbye, he was going back to England, having spent all his resources on an operation to remove a big toe which had turned septic, caused by diabetes, and would probably require further surgery. His insurance company refused to cover his costs because he had not declared a pre-existing condition. "I paid in to them for years and years," he said, "I never knew I had diabetes."

A good friend of mine, in his mid-fifties, didn't know he was diabetic until I pointed out that stopping at a gas station every 30 or 40 minutes for a pee during a 4-hour interstate drive in the US was not normal. He had already accepted the need for an afternoon nap in his office after lunch was also normal.

As we live beyond 55 or 60, getting an annual medical assessment is a wise investment. I suggest starting the whole self-review mid-way or 6-months before your next insurance renewal. If you are starting on such a regimen, spend the first 3 months doing moderate exercise along with a review of your dietary intake including alcohol. Again, the word is moderation. Then do the medical assessment 3 months before your insurance renewal. This may (or may not) afford you sufficient time to take care of anything that crops up before paying for another year of coverage and keeps you fully aware of what is changing as you age.

To assume that the natural health impingement your advancing years will happily be accepted by your insurer is a dangerous one.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Many medical insurance policies don't cover routine screenings or check-ups. Under such policies there would have to be a medically necessary reason to perform a colonoscopy for cover to apply and would likely require prior written approval from the insurer based upon a doctor's report.   Your policy should explain when approval is needed and how to obtain it. What does your policy say?

Precisely. Make the effort to self-fund your own, annual health checkups and be one step ahead of your insurer if/when a medical emergency or intervention pops up.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Precisely. Make the effort to self-fund your own, annual health checkups and be one step ahead of your insurer if/when a medical emergency or intervention pops up.

They could still say something is an undiagnosed pre-existing condition and not cover a claim. Maybe you've seen a doc showing how they decide this?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BE88 said:

This is one of the reasons that many expats refuse to take out Thais health insurance and prefer auto-insurance while gradually saving unnecessary insurance premiums for the future health problems.

The latest Thai insurance scandal with Covid policies is a clear example.

Auto-insurance?

3 hours ago, Jerno said:

Don't be fooled into thinking Insurance companies are there to help you.  They are there to pay out the fewest claims possible.  Every payout is reduced profit for them.

The problem is fraud, cheating and theft.

We all know this to be true. Why would you even argue against it?

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Well, why not name them here then? 

I subscribed to the offer 15 years ago. The application period lasted for 6 months.

I'm a bit suprised you don't see fit to answer the OP the same question.

If you're scared of the libel laws here, you could PM him/her.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2