Thai immigration announce further extension of ‘COVID extensions’

6 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Its a shame Bangkok Airways has a monopoly on flights to Koh Samui.

Very true.

Previously AirAsia had package option Don Mueng to Surat Thani with bus and ferry all included.

Previously very cheap.

Guess that's not available currently. 

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

If you can get an embassy letter you wouldn't need the the Covid extension.

A 30 day extension upon request by an embassy has been an option since way before Covid.

Obviously getting the 60 day Covid extension is more convenient than the 30 day embassy letter extension.

If that's true, I still wouldn't tick the box 2 myself, since it's probably technically false if I *can* get the embassy letter, but would rather have the more convenient 60 day extension.

Good news! It will probably be on going until tourism really kicks off. The immigration makes millions from extensions alone, if it’s not the only source of income at this point. Since nobody at the immigration want to loose their jobs or see their budgets slashed in half, I’m pretty sure they’ll announce further extension of the amnesty. One way to predict when the amnesty extension ends, will probably coincide with opening of the Malaysian border. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HexTree said:

If that's true, I still wouldn't tick the box 2 myself, since it's probably technically false if I *can* get the embassy letter, but would rather have the more convenient 60 day extension.

Yes, sure. I wasn't aware that some embassies still issue these letters.

26 minutes ago, HexTree said:

Which embassy is providing letter.

Some will confirm that they are not providing letter via email.

I doubt Oz embassy would even do that.

In any event why make simple difficult.

17 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

True now. But if people really used this kind of logic, they should all have left a few months ago when Thailand had low vaccination rates, many more cases than the countries you mention, and flights were available.

My guess is that most of those using extensions just want to stay in Thailand for their own reasons without any relation to covid.

And a little effort to comply with some demands is already too much ......"amazing us foreigners....????"

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Which embassy is providing letter.

Some will confirm that they are not providing letter via email.

I doubt Oz embassy would even do that.

In any event why make simple difficult.

I'm not 'making simple difficult', I'm just answering the questions on the form honestly. As I understand, you don't have to have ticked all of them to qualify; box 1 and box 4 have always been the relevant and correct ones for me.

2 minutes ago, HexTree said:

I'm not 'making simple difficult', I'm just answering the questions on the form honestly. As I understand, you don't have to have ticked all of them to qualify; box 1 and box 4 have always been the relevant and correct ones for me.

Excellent work. 

Box 2 would also achieve same result.

Always good to see honestly with box ticking..

Great news, and as always, there are numerous comments of people who feel sort of unjust that people in my situation who have no alternative options of returning to Thailand after leaving can stay here without such unnecessary hassle when there is an official and legitimate option provided to them. I can't relate to it less than comparing it to a judge's verdict on Rittenhouse's case when people protest against the judicial law, same here, people use the legitimate reason to stay (because it's provided by the government), and xenophobia persists regardless. Wondering if some people will ever grow up and accept the law regardless of how long people stayed here (it's not a reason to post offensive comments stating "there were many options to go home" when you do not even define what home is). Time to wake up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Your plan is fine.

Over next week need to guage what's going on with CW.

The guy I refered to that was refused today due to no outbound flight described that experience.

Was female io. My reading of it was showing animated actions.

Standing up? Stand up for what.

She is a clerk. Do your job.

Perhaps has new hotpants for birthday. 

Ok thanks for the info. Yes, I think we will get some more experiences about the process soon and what they want. I've never done a covid extension yet cos my previous visa was STV and then I spent the summer back in Europe. I would imagine that they are more relaxed if it's my first extension. I do have an outbound flight but I moved it to next summer already. If a flight out of TH is really required, might book a cheap AirAsia or then move the date of the long haul flight. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

I would imagine that they are more relaxed if it's my first extension.

I recently did a covid extension and they insisted on me giving them a TM30 paper , my condo never did a TM30 for me, so I had to book into a hotel for the night  just to get a TM30 , otherwise I wouldn't have got the extension 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I recently did a covid extension and they insisted on me giving them a TM30 paper , my condo never did a TM30 for me, so I had to book into a hotel for the night  just to get a TM30 , otherwise I wouldn't have got the extension 

Request for a TM30 is common and normal..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Why didn't you just do the TM30 yourself?

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Just pointing out that they aren't more relaxed about their requirements and TM30s didn't previously need to be shown when applying for tourist visa extensions 

They ask for TM30 since quite a while, maybe you were lucky and weren't asked in the past, but from my experience usually they want it.

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Just pointing out that they aren't more relaxed about their requirements and TM30s didn't previously need to be shown when applying for tourist visa extensions 

Can happen as i am 13 years in their system , and 10 year  on same address , and i have no slip from TM30 and strange enough never ever bin asked about ...., even when doing my ret. ext.(9) . Probably i am reported by my condo administration before  , but as the TM30 always was in the rules, but only on a certain year started enforcing it , i guess that must be the reason .When doing ext. i always have my yearly lease copy with me for them.

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Why didn't you just do the TM30 yourself?

They ask for TM30 since quite a while, maybe you were lucky and weren't asked in the past, but from my experience usually they want it.

I had changed my Condo and immigration  wanted the new Condo owners to submit a new TM30 , this is the first time that I did a Covid extension so I wasn't aware of the requirements , I thought it would be the same as a normal tourist visa extension 

50 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I came trough Phuket Sandbox so the hotel should have done this automatically of course. That means I don't have the record myself but only the Sandbox certificate etc. I hardly ever stay at a hotel because I go directly to my own house in BKK but this time was special.

23 hours ago, khunphil said:

(maybe) Stupid question ... but to get this extension, do we need to show any proof of any thing ? Or just pay and go ? (asking for an European friend)

In most cases, it will probably just be a rubber stamp process, just signing a meaningless affidavit. However, there are senior people in Immigration who believe that extensions are being requested by foreigners who could easily return "home" in spite of Covid (which is true, but the consensus at the top of the government is to allow those people to stay anyway). Most junior officials you deal with will be happy just to process your application without comment. However, expect, at some offices, to encounter officials who have been encouraged or mandated by their bosses to take a hard line against those "who have been here too long" or are "not using extensions for their intended purpose".

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedArmy said:

Good luck & best wishes to everyone on a Covid extension - I hope that everybody who chooses to apply is successful.

There seems to be so much resentment towards others on this forum who are staying in Thailand currently on Covid extensions & it baffles me.

Relax & live and let live.

Imagine the uproar from these people if the Covid extensions were increased to 90 days at a time ????

Maybe people are jealous that we enjoy our freedom without uniform crossing our door path to check if we really live there ?!

But they should know themselves ! obedient submissive vaccinated people that they are !

7 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I had changed my Condo and immigration  wanted the new Condo owners to submit a new TM30 , this is the first time that I did a Covid extension so I wasn't aware of the requirements , I thought it would be the same as a normal tourist visa extension 

The owner of the condo is required by law to submit a TM30 on your behalf, you both can be fined if one is not filed with 24 hours of your arrival. It can even be done online. I would have asked them to do it but I have been in the same position and when asking been refused so it's not a guarantee that if you ask, they will do it. TM30 means the stay is registered and they have to pay tax on the income plus there is a charge to do it too.

7 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

The owner of the condo is required by law to submit a TM30 on your behalf, you both can be fined if one is not filed with 24 hours of your arrival. It can even be done online. I would have asked them to do it but I have been in the same position and when asking been refused so it's not a guarantee that if you ask, they will do it. TM30 means the stay is registered and they have to pay tax on the income plus there is a charge to do it too.

I dont think that its currently possible to do online TM30 reports

20 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

The owner of the condo is required by law to submit a TM30 on your behalf, you both can be fined if one is not filed with 24 hours of your arrival.

That's wrong. The owner or the possessor is required to report a foreigner staying at the property.

In this case "Mac Mickmanus" is the possessor because he is renting the place. So he could (or has to if the owner doesn't do it) submit a TM30 for himself.

22 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

TM30 means the stay is registered and they have to pay tax on the income plus there is a charge to do it too.

That's wrong again, TM30 has nothing to do with tax and there is also no charge to do it.

53 minutes ago, jackdd said:

That's wrong. The owner or the possessor is required to report a foreigner staying at the property.

In this case "Mac Mickmanus" is the possessor because he is renting the place. So he could (or has to if the owner doesn't do it) submit a TM30 for himself.

That's wrong again, TM30 has nothing to do with tax and there is also no charge to do it.

I'm not interested in a repeated back and forth exchange, you are kind of twisting my words or taking what I say too literally but you can say I'm wrong if you want, here it is direct from immigration themselves.

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?p=14721

"According to section 38 of the 1979 immigration act, “House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national.”

"The notification of residence of foreign nationals is made by the manager of licensed hotels according to the hotel act, owners of guesthouses, mansions, apartments and rented houses using the form TM. 30."

Yes he has to do it himself if the owner, landlord etc.. chooses not to but officially it is the owner, landlord etc.. who should be doing it and they will be fined if they don't.

I know the TM30 has nothing to do with tax but obviously a registered stay using TM30 is harder for shady landlords to hide for tax purposes and this is basically what I was told when I repeatedly asked one to do one for me for my visa purposes but they refused. 

You could very well be right that there is no charge to do it, I can't be bothered to dig further into it but I was told by my Japanese landlord in one condo that there was a charge for him when he asked me if I needed one or not.

Edited by Ohyesuare