Thai immigration announce further extension of ‘COVID extensions’

15 minutes ago, SmokeandIce said:

Not totally clear, it was reported that Covid extensions are at the discretion of the Thai Immigration officer and not guaranteed.  

Of course they can always ask for additional documents or whatever proof concerning the application ,my line was meant the clearing up if new extension would be extended or not 

Some officers will still be more difficult than others ....they still  hold the "Harry Potter magic stick " ????

Edited by david555

32 minutes ago, BestB said:

Weird, on one hand they allowing people to stay, but then reading some people's reports doing yearly extensions and they making it harder.

So someone doing covid extension does not need to show income or have 1000 pages of supporting docs, including money in the bank, but someone living here for years needs to show it all.

Makes no sense.

But anyway those on year extensions have peace of mind after extending for 12 month's +...... covid extensions are every few months in peril of what go be the outcome .....

46 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could apply for a 60 day covid 19 extension of stay (it is not a visa).

This might be a no-brainer but I arrived on Oct 25 with a 60+30 TR visa. I will do the 30 day extension in Dec which would expire on Jan 25, This means I can get a 60 day extension in the end of Jan and stay with that until end of March? That's great if it's so. I guess no extra paperwork required either since it's my first covid extension?

Just now in discussion with poster who was refused today at CW in applying for covid extension regarding this onward ticket nonsense.

Hope he posts his experience. Perhaps he already has.

Looking at his options.  

@ThaiVisaCentre are you aware of this "requirement" for outbound flight being done at CW? 

Damn ridiculous. 

Edited by DrJack54

4 hours ago, Iwik Detsiwt said:

Talk about 11th hour....but a welcome decision for those that need this security blanket to remain in Thailand. The Covid-19 situation in Europe shows no sign of abating for the time being.

At this time last year they gave permission for us to stay in the country and support the local economy three days after the previous permission had ended. As a result I, and no doubt many others, were obliged to obtain a one year marriage extension. In my case I had 24 hours to transfer the 400,000 baht needed from the UK, where I had previously kept most of my funds. The IO, when I had asked what my options were, told me I had to do that or get out of the country and leave my wife here to fend for herself. In other words, leave but send money, their wet dream.

Of course, in the long term it worked out well as now I only pay one fee a year and don't have to constantly pay for Covid extensions or do border runs and pay visa fees to Laos, etc.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

At this time last year they gave permission for us to stay in the country and support the local economy three days after the previous permission had ended. As a result I, and no doubt many others, were obliged to obtain a one year marriage extension. In my case I had 24 hours to transfer the 400,000 baht needed from the UK, where I had previously kept most of my funds. The IO, when I had asked what my options were, told me I had to do that or get out of the country and leave my wife here to fend for herself. In other words, leave but send money, their wet dream.

Of course, in the long term it worked out well as now I only pay one fee a year and don't have to constantly pay for Covid extensions or do border runs and pay visa fees to Laos, etc.

You have options. Namely using extension marriage.

Can't see what your on about.

You could/should have obtained this extension from the start.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You have options. Namely using extension marriage.

Can't see what your on about.

You could/should have obtained this extension from the start.

Thanks, but if I preferred to keep my 400,000 in the UK that was up to me. That's what I was on about. Before Covid I left the country every three months or less on business or just for a few days somewhere else, so had no need for the extension.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Just now in discussion with poster who was refused today at CW in applying for covid extension regarding this onward ticket nonsense.

Hope he posts his experience. Perhaps he already has.

Looking at his options.  

@ThaiVisaCentre are you aware of this "requirement" for outbound flight being done at CW? 

Damn ridiculous. 

Daft I agree. I have not needed a Covid extension yet but will apply for this one. I have no onward ticket but plan to use a $12 one. If they are only ticking boxes see no reason why this should not work.

37 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

This means I can get a 60 day extension in the end of Jan and stay with that until end of March?

Your plan is fine.

Over next week need to guage what's going on with CW.

The guy I refered to that was refused today due to no outbound flight described that experience.

Was female io. My reading of it was showing animated actions.

Standing up? Stand up for what.

She is a clerk. Do your job.

Perhaps has new hotpants for birthday. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Thanks, but if I preferred to keep my 400,000 in the UK that was up to me. That's what I was on about. Before Covid I left the country every three months or less on business or just for a few days somewhere else, so had no need for the extension.

There were many here with ME marriage one year visa.

They obtained a 12 months extension. 

Some reports at immigration officers that this was being suggested/enforced.

Which imm office did you use to avoid the 12 month extension option.

With money in bank method you can use that money after Extension granted.

Fact that you didn't wish to transfer money imo pretty lame.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Greenwich Boy said:

Daft I agree. I have not needed a Covid extension yet but will apply for this one. I have no onward ticket but plan to use a $12 one. If they are only ticking boxes see no reason why this should not work.

I have suggested that to chap I refered to who was refused covid extension today.

Anyone using site such as "onward flight" can hopefully report their experience at CW for covid extension.

I also checked cheapest flight out in January. 

Available flights to Phnom Penh. 

1700baht. 

Waiting on agents to update on options around this rubbish.

25 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Keep what ever tourist you can.

Despite Thailand's popularity tourism isn't what it used to be.

I'm living on Koh Samet and mainly Bangkok.

There are NO tourists..

Ghost town.

Good number of Thai weekend visitors but they stay one night.

My impression is that if you live in Bangkok you might hardly see/feel big difference.

Trust me tourism is nackered.

Off to Pattaya tomorrow for fireworks festival.

I'm expecting a shock. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Of course, in the long term it worked out well as now I only pay one fee a year and don't have to constantly pay for Covid extensions or do border runs and pay visa fees to Laos, etc

Took you a while to see the better option however you got there in the end. 

Good management.

3 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

Previously you didn't but this time it seems they have added a stipulation that it is up to the immigration officer's discretion as they don't want people "abusing" it.

I think it's safe to say the vast majority of people already are and have been for a long time with the exception of folks like the Aussies who genuinely struggle to get back to their country.

There is one particular lady IO at CW who from personal experience is adamant that anyone who has been here since the amnesty ended using covid extensions to stay is no longer eligible. Attempt to explain the extension requirements posted and she is then backed up by the old duck they have sitting in the back. 

Go back another day, different IO officer, no problem at all.  

"Remember the 5 D's of dodgeball: Dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge." - Patches O'Houlihan. 

Edited by fondue zoo
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Borders are currently closed.

There are no options to say for example fly to Vietnam and stay there. Or any land border countries.

What's this "go back to your own country " rubbish that so many folk post. 

Sad folk. 

I'm no expert but isn't the criteria about being able to return to your country of origin?

• Like 1

There is no reason to keep extending this covid amnesty as most of the countru are now reopened and people are fully vaccinated. I guess that immigration are only interested to get 1900 bath from every farang that are in Thailand with a covid extension 5555

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

Go back another day, different IO officer, no problem at all.

What would be best option to apply for covid extension at another immigration. Realize that it would involve TM30.

Perhaps Jomtien. 

Are they also pulling same tricks..

Any other suggestions.

Nonthanburi?