Thai immigration announce further extension of ‘COVID extensions’

2 minutes ago, Des1 said:

This is my first covid extension. I used up my 30 day regular extension, which I believe you are required to do before applying for the covid extension. Does this sound right, can anyone confirm?

If you came in on a tourist visa, yes you are supposed to do your 30 day extension first. Since you came during COVID and are not a "tourist stuck here" the IO might have just decided to be an ass and only give you 60 from your date of application. Or maybe to try to push you to use an agent next time.

Edited by Ohyesuare

Just now, Des1 said:

Possibly. This is what they told me so maybe it's a new rule for the new year?

Well the latest extension order did have some new addendum that immigration officers can use their discretion more but that was before Omicron became an issue too. I really think you just got unlucky and got an <deleted> IO.

8 minutes ago, Des1 said:

I should mention she did give me the option to come back in a week but I just decided to take it now.

Not sure about some of the posts above. 

This is my impression from reading reports.

Both for entry with Tourist Visa AND visa exempt entry folk are made to obtain the 'standard' 30 day extension prior to covid extension.

For the first covid extension some offices date from day of application.

Further covid extensions will start from end of current extension.

As usual various offices have there own 'rules'.

Would have been interesting to see if io demanded a outbound flight.

Can't tell as you provided one.

Excellent that you got one..

Edited by DrJack54

24 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

This might be at the discretion of the IO. The norm is that it's from current stamp date, not date of application.

If it's the first covid extension, it always starts from the application date. That's a rule. Subsequent extensions start from the last stamp date.

16 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

If you came in on a tourist visa, yes you are supposed to do your 30 day extension first. Since you came during COVID and are not a "tourist stuck here" the IO might have just decided to be an ass and only give you 60 from your date of application. Or maybe to try to push you to use an agent next time.

Agents are really for Longstay Visa when you can’t or won’t meet Imm. BS directly. Tourist type visas/ extns. inc. CE are so easy there’s no need for an Agent, unless you’re getting Rejected, which is unheard of really.

Phuket Imm. have been excellent with CE. Previous Legal Visa / Extn. Status Doesn’t Officially Matter for CE purposes.

If you get any insurmountable Imm. BS just return next day. Problem might be having the same assigned IO doing only CE.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

If you get any insurmountable Imm. BS just return next day. Problem might be having the same assigned IO doing only CE.

Some reports of being rejected at CW where outbound flight was required to be shown.

As for use of agents, I have suggested that to people esp where under consideration period and return for stamp was inconvenient for travel reasons.

Agent in Bangkok does collect and drop off pp that includes application fee and one 60 day stamp.

Certainly an attractive option for some. 

8 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Agents are really for Longstay Visa when you can’t or won’t meet Imm. BS directly. Tourist type visas/ extns. inc. CE are so easy there’s no need for an Agent, unless you’re getting Rejected, which is unheard of really.

Phuket Imm. have been excellent with CE. Previous Legal Visa / Extn. Status Doesn’t Officially Matter for CE purposes.

I use one so I don't have to go to Jomtien and immigration twice and wait in line with a bunch of other degens like me. Gets picked up and dropped off for me right at my condo lobby. Money not an issue for me at the moment so happy to have the option even if it's overpaying for something simple.

Hi, the last time when I extended my visa I was so surprised with the date of the stamp. My last extension ended on 12th of december, I went there two days before, and mi extension is now until the 1st of march. Can someone explain me why? First I thought maybe now is 90 days, but when I calculated is around 80 days, so I don't understand. Anyway is perfect for me, because I was thinking to travel to my country in the end of february.

10 minutes ago, jonga80 said:

Hi, the last time when I extended my visa I was so surprised with the date of the stamp. My last extension ended on 12th of december, I went there two days before, and mi extension is now until the 1st of march. Can someone explain me why? First I thought maybe now is 90 days, but when I calculated is around 80 days, so I don't understand. Anyway is perfect for me, because I was thinking to travel to my country in the end of february.

There was an extension amnesty announced until 31-Dec. So the agent who did your application must have decided to start counting 60 days after the amnesty instead of 60 days after your current stamp.  Consider it a Happy Christmas gift that you received 2+ weeks additional bonus. ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

There was an extension amnesty announced until 31-Dec. So the agent who did your application must have decided to start counting 60 days after the amnesty instead of 60 days after your current stamp.  Consider it a Happy Christmas gift that you received 2+ weeks additional bonus. ????

It also could be a mistake and unfortunately, if not corrected, he would be considered on overstay after 60 days even though it was the IO who made the mistake.

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

5k including the extension fee?

6k but the agent has been good to me, they came back and returned the money the same day once when the IO said it was too early to do it, so I'm not gonna worry about an extra 1000.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ohyesuare said:

I use one so I don't have to go to Jomtien and immigration twice and wait in line with a bunch of other degens like me. Gets picked up and dropped off for me right at my condo lobby. Money not an issue for me at the moment so happy to have the option even if it's overpaying for something simple.

Right. Yes, I had overlooked “inconvenient travel” as agent use justification ! Living 20 minutes from Phuket Imm so not an issue for me ..

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Some reports of being rejected at CW where outbound flight was required to be shown.

As for use of agents, I have suggested that to people esp where under consideration period and return for stamp was inconvenient for travel reasons.

Agent in Bangkok does collect and drop off pp that includes application fee and one 60 day stamp.

Absolutely. Living 20 minutes from Phuket Immy who are very efficient with little waiting for service, I had overlooked “inconvenient travel” as agent use reason !
That CW location and set up a real nightmare. Did several tourist extns.there many years ago using trains & automobiles long travel from Nana Station before Skytrain extended out to CW and before I discovered Phuket and had my “ This Is It!! “ revelation . Was a hardcore Bangkok - Pattaya man.

Has anyone managed to get a covid extension since last time proving that you had an onward flight?   Ive been here since 8th jan and was due to fly back to uk 23rd.  However, with omicorn so bad in uk, i was wondering if i can get anofher covid extension at CW.  It be my 6th if i do.  Obviously i will show a return flight.   Any experiences recently would greatly be appreciated

1 hour ago, pantsonfire said:

Has anyone managed to get a covid extension since last time proving that you had an onward flight?   Ive been here since 8th jan and was due to fly back to uk 23rd.  However, with omicorn so bad in uk, i was wondering if i can get anofher covid extension at CW.  It be my 6th if i do.  Obviously i will show a return flight.   Any experiences recently would greatly be appreciated

0% chance they will deny you with proof of a return flight. You'd very likely get an extension even without one because of the current situation.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 11:30 AM, DrJack54 said:

Once used an outbound flight ticket to jump straight to same day DL Issue without the two month wait. Cancelled it after DL issued.

6 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Once used an outbound flight ticket to jump straight to same day DL Issue without the two month wait. Cancelled it after DL issued.

That would work.

Also in situations that an onward flight or in this case an outbound flight is required there is alternative of renting a temporary flight. $12usd.

On 1/4/2022 at 11:34 AM, Ohyesuare said:

The best price I could find was 6000 for that service, did u get  better? 

57 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

6k as well but someone else mentioned 5k so maybe you can negotiate it down to that. I'm personally not gonna fuss over 1000 baht.

Is that a local agent that uses the local Jomtien office for the extension, or do they send it off to somewhere else?

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That would work.

Also in situations that an onward flight or in this case an outbound flight is required there is alternative of renting a temporary flight. $12usd.

Yes, Used by Isaan “permanent settler” types,  arriving on one way air tickets ….no plan to leave….never understood that tactic as return air tickets same price as one way … and gives a “no cost” option to return “home” for any number of reasons…..

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Is that a local agent that uses the local Jomtien office for the extension, or do they send it off to somewhere else?

Covid extensions via agents are not sent to another imm office.

Extensions retirement yes.