Trapped in Thailand

Troy Tempest

On 11/25/2021 at 1:33 PM, Troy Tempest said:

See Britman's Comment above.

I used to travel back to the UK every year for a few months (Before Covid) and I am wealthy enough to self-insure for most things!

However, I did take out Health insurance recently because of the covid situation with a company I cannot mention because of the defamation laws here......

But, it was with a "Broker" who's name rhymes with the name of a large Black Cat and the Insurance Company name would rhyme with an alternative name for a "Dried Plum"! ......I am sure you will guess who I am talking about (even if you don't do crosswords)?

But, on September 9th I suffered severe chest pain and thought I may be having a heart attack so I went to the nearest Hospital (which is one of the larger Private Hospital Groups) in Thailand and after many tests spent the night "Wired-Up" in ICU....

Next morning I was feeling okay so I discharged myself against their advice/wishes and to date (fingers crossed) have remained well.

The bill was 67,960 THB

I am still awaiting compensation despite numerous calls and emails to both the Broker and The Insurance Company!

Conclusion: Never buy Health Insurance from a Thai Company!

I welcome your replies now! :wai::thumbsup:

If as you claim you have the means you are definitely not trapped in Thailand. You can go back to UK and come back with travel insurance for less than the amount of the bill quoted above.

I left Samui and went to Europe and I'm back in Samui after 3.5 months absence.

You don't need Thai insurance to enter Thailand, I have travel insurance from Tokyo marine/Worldtrips which would exclude your preexisting conditions (but may include acute onset). I paid $715 for 7 months, yours would be a bit more expensive - different age bracket.

https://www.worldtrips.com/atlas-travel-insurance#/atq

Overall Maximum Limit

Age 80 or older$10,000
Age 65
 to 79: $50,000 or $100,000 

All others: $50,000, $100,000, $200,000, $500,000, $1,000,000, or $2,000,000

*Acute Onset of Pre-Existing Condition
(excludes chronic and congenital conditions) (only available to members under age 80)

Up to the overall maximum limit

$25,000 lifetime maximum for Emergency Medical Evacuation

• Like 1

As long as you are under 75 years old, it seems that you can obtain the present insurance requirements for re-entry.

With the present, not to well specified, rules it might at older age be returning as tourist on visa exempt with a travel insurance cover for 30-days, and then domestically apply for a new non-o visa and restart extension of stay.

The problem seems to be the wording "health insurance" for the required $50,000 insurance, which some stated is the earlier $100,000 Covid-19-insurance that has been lowered. I saw an article from Phuket, where the Phuket immigration stated that this was the case.

• Like 1

If you can go, I would recommend to do it. But go in the summer, not now. Now is the moment to stay here, good weather and all. If you went now you would hate yourself after two days. I was trapped here last summer (I always go to my country in the summer) and was hard. But this year went and stayed longer than usual. Your mental health will appreciate and you will come back with renewed energy. For me going back once a year (summer) is a must.

As for health insurance, I am younger, so I don't know how this can apply to your case, but I have been using AETNA (previously BUPA) and they always paid what they owe. I was one time hospitalized for 3 days and when the bill came I was relieved to see I had to pay nearly nothing. I think the most tricky part in Thailand is choosing the right hospital (avoid blood suckers such as Bumrudwhatever and so on) rather than on the health insurance itself. 

While you don't go to the UK yet, I do think it helps to travel in country, even to the next province, for a break. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

Like many, I am now  virtually trapped forever  here in Thailand.    I can leave of course and return to my own country,  but   would  never be allowed to reenter, under the present restrictions, as insurance for me is simply out of the question, due to age and  existing health   matters.     Ive  accepted this,  so Im just going to enjoy the rest of my time and try not to think , or worry about something I cant  fix.... I just wish the  price of  a decent  wine  would  come down, so I can have just a little  peace.!!!

And just heed the advice supposedly given to the English Ladies in the Colonies. 'When being raped, lay back and think of England.' Perhaps the same advice should apply to British expats now.????? 

• Haha 1

On 11/25/2021 at 9:19 AM, Troy Tempest said:

to see friends, family and Grand Kids.

OK, I read you have health issues. 

So, get your family and friends to come to Thailand to see you. If you're really wanting to see them help with the finances, costs. 

It's about you, so do what you have to do. 

My family (neices, kids) and friends all come to see me, they love Thailand, to see all its beauty and the delicious food. 

They are so similar to me 

Loving Thailand 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

I get all the points of view represented here. As I have provincial medical insurance in Canada, I always thought I could drag my broken body back there. Could I afford something catastrophic here? Nope.

So before the haters get in on how stupid I am (at 71), I have a question.

As I have an address in Canada, though I am not required to file taxes, I get a miniscule pension. I don't own a vehicle there anymore but I do have my credit card bills there.

My friend wonders if I might qualify for travel insurance stating Canadian residency. Of course, they might not pay out. But I miss my children and like others, have gone every summer save 2020.

Is this a sound plan for return to Thailand? All suggestions welcome.

9 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

I get all the points of view represented here. As I have provincial medical insurance in Canada, I always thought I could drag my broken body back there. Could I afford something catastrophic here? Nope.

So before the haters get in on how stupid I am (at 71), I have a question.

As I have an address in Canada, though I am not required to file taxes, I get a miniscule pension. I don't own a vehicle there anymore but I do have my credit card bills there.

My friend wonders if I might qualify for travel insurance stating Canadian residency. Of course, they might not pay out. But I miss my children and like others, have gone every summer save 2020.

Is this a sound plan for return to Thailand? All suggestions welcome.

I think you may be an optimist.????

On 11/25/2021 at 9:19 AM, Troy Tempest said:

I haven't left Thailand for over 2 years due to the Covid situation

Meh, the current TM.6 stapled to my passport is Christmas Day 2013. You're just getting started. I think there are worst places in the world to be 'trapped' and actually I've felt pretty lucky to be here during the pandemic. Thailand's had a relatively easy ride compared to much of the world.

About insurance, I'm fortunate to be in the social security system. If I didn't have that I wouldn't want the wight of worry hanging over me of becoming ill and the associated costs if I couldn't afford to self insure. Thailand is not friendly to broke foreigners, but show me a country that is (rhet).

• Like 2