Jump to content

No Omicron Cases In Thailand


webfact
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

 

It was labelled a "Variant of concern" which is a standard nomenclature that has a very specific scientific meaning:

 

"variants of the virus where mutations in their spike protein receptor binding domain substantially increase binding affinity in RBD-hACE2 complex, while also being linked to rapid spread in human populations."

 

No more, no less.  They made it clear it was not yet known if it was more severe than prior variants nor if existing vaccines would confer protection.

 

Note that WHO also did not recommend border closures in response to Omicron.

Yes and as usual the media has grabbed it and run with it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

 

It was labelled a "Variant of concern" which is a standard nomenclature that has a very specific scientific meaning:

 

"variants of the virus where mutations in their spike protein receptor binding domain substantially increase binding affinity in RBD-hACE2 complex, while also being linked to rapid spread in human populations."

 

No more, no less.  They made it clear it was not yet known if it was more severe than prior variants nor if existing vaccines would confer protection.

 

Note that WHO also did not recommend border closures in response to Omicron.

No more no less? How about very high risk is that standard nomenclature? Did the WHO say any of this or is it all made up?

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/omicron-poses-very-high-global-risk-countries-must-prepare-who-2021-11-29/

Edited by starky
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a correction, or clarification, Omicron is the greek letter O.  and in english alphebet the 15th letter is O

  The Greek number 15 is different and pronounced dekapende, with a symbol over the middle e.

check the computer, Wikipedia.

   So far this variant is not in Thailand, but it likely on the way for sure.

We are all hoping that it is milder, I guess time will tell.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, ozimoron said:

If you don't know and can't elucidate them why allege that they exist?

i do know and i have told you,hk china and look out the window,its staring u in the face.if you cant see it get a pair of glasses,ask the foreign correspondents club theres a good place to start.thats just the start of it and the most obvious.elucidate it ha ha ha.amazing.you dont even have to have a very high IQ so god knows what yours is

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, rupert the bear said:

i do know and i have told you,hk china and look out the window,its staring u in the face.if you cant see it get a pair of glasses,ask the foreign correspondents club theres a good place to start.thats just the start of it and the most obvious.elucidate it ha ha ha.amazing.you dont even have to have a very high IQ so god knows what yours is

You expect some kind of religious faith that what you're saying is true. Smart people will never accept that kind of argument. You either provide facts when challenged or you are entitled to be disbelieved at the very least.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Who makes up these names?

Yes the "WHO made the name..but missed a couple out of the sequence as to not offend a certain someone.  this should have been Nu  and the next one Xi  !!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, starky said:

No covid denier here but neither will I <deleted> myself every single time a new variant is discovered and there will be plenty of them. Neither do I see any sense in having a booster shot 2 or 3 months after I just had a second covid shot. 

 Either the vaccine is effective against omi or its not if it is why would I need another booster? If it's not why would I need a booster of something that's ineffective. 

  The time for lockdowns and this fall back chicken little sky is falling nonsense is over imo.

Since there are hundreds of thousands of variants, I guess it's good you don't <deleted> yourself every time! LOL

 

The current recommendation is NOT to get a booster for this new variant as not enough is known right now.

 

There were boosters for Delta, but it was determined the current jab works fine.

 

Follow the better media sites and you'll find out this information.  The better ones are not saying the sky is falling.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Who makes up these names? Big Pharma? Sounds like a disease communicated by sci-fi Nano robots or terminators. 

 

Deliberately intended to scare the population into complete submission? Not submissive enough, are we? 

Yes, the new variants should be called other names , more friendly names , like Foxy or Jolly or something .

  

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

There are numbers between 1 and 100. The booster does exactly what its name says it does. The vaccine does act against omicron in that it does the same as it does for alpha and delta. It reduces transmission, infection and serious illness. It apparently just does it less well. WE likely wouldn't have been dealing with a variant like omicron at all if everyone had just acted responsibly and followed the medical advice which is to get vaccinated. Wider issues like distributing a fair share of vaccines to poor nations and educating the population are also in play. As is quelling the tidal wave of misinformation which infests the social media.

Preaching to the converted mate I was complaining months ago on this very forum how developing nations were hoarding vaccine with fully vaccinated populations while as usual the developing world gets screwed 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

Since there are hundreds of thousands of variants, I guess it's good you don't <deleted> yourself every time! LOL

 

The current recommendation is NOT to get a booster for this new variant as not enough is known right now.

 

There were boosters for Delta, but it was determined the current jab works fine.

 

Follow the better media sites and you'll find out this information.  The better ones are not saying the sky is falling.

WOW we must really have different news feeds except that the CDC  the UK, US, Israeli, Australian, New Zealand and quite a few other governments (not media sources) are recommending and pushing forward booster vaccines specifically because of omi. So back to the fear mongering maybe it's governments who are trying to push the line the sky is falling. Personally I think developed nations should stop hogging all the vaccine but hey it seems like the "im all right jack" mentality will prevail.

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/as-omicron-emerges-countries-weigh-need-for-covid-19-booster-shots

Edited by starky
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/30/2021 at 7:44 AM, hotchilli said:

Those same measures didn't stop the Delta variant from coming in... only a matter of time.

If Omicron is present in India, it wil get here as Delta did - acoss to Bangladesh, into Myanmar, then into Thailand via broder crossers. Or by air. Either way, it will get here eventually. Ideally it will be more transmissible but much more mild, and may displace delta. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, starky said:

WOW we must really have different news feeds except that the CDC  the UK, US, Israeli, Australian, New Zealand and quite a few other governments (not media sources) are recommending and pushing forward booster vaccines specifically because of omi. So back to the fear mongering maybe it's governments who are trying to push the line the sky is falling. Personally I think developed nations should stop hogging all the vaccine but hey it seems like the "im all right jack" mentality will prevail.

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/as-omicron-emerges-countries-weigh-need-for-covid-19-booster-shots

Let me be more specific. Booster shots specifically for Omicron. Not the current ones. But yes, people need to get vaccinated. Or get boosters if needed. Not everyone needs boosters.

 

You are aware that the problem in South Africa isn't lack of vaccines, right?

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

There are numbers between 1 and 100. The booster does exactly what its name says it does. The vaccine does act against omicron in that it does the same as it does for alpha and delta. It reduces transmission, infection and serious illness. It apparently just does it less well. WE likely wouldn't have been dealing with a variant like omicron at all if everyone had just acted responsibly and followed the medical advice which is to get vaccinated. Wider issues like distributing a fair share of vaccines to poor nations and educating the population are also in play. As is quelling the tidal wave of misinformation which infests the social media.

There is just not enough vaccine to go around, but turning over patents and know how to India, South Africa and the like would not help solving the problem any time soon. The US and similar should have acted at the start of the year to greatly up vaccine production capacity. Supply could have been on line some moths ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posts with videos to unapproved social media sources have been removed:

 

18) Social Media content is acceptable in most social forums. However, in factual areas such as news, current affairs and health topics, it cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or government agency, and must include a weblink to the original source.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

If Omicron is present in India, it wil get here as Delta did - acoss to Bangladesh, into Myanmar, then into Thailand via broder crossers. Or by air. Either way, it will get here eventually. Ideally it will be more transmissible but much more mild, and may displace delta. 

The question remains what will Thailand do if Omicron spreads through Europe?

They've jumped the gun and banned some African countries...

Will they do the same for Europeans or have double standards for preferred tourists?

Or go back to 14 days quarantine for those countries having Omicron?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tonypandy said:

Time will tell

Nope. Facts are already in. Stick with the better media outlets and you won't get fed misinformation. Claiming otherwise is ridiculous.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Pravda said:

No Omikron cases in Thailand. 

 

Or no testing in Thailand?

 

Cases found in Netherlands before a ban on SA flights

 

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/omicron-variant-was-detected-netherlands-before-s-africa-flights-2021-11-30/

Nigeria identifies Omicron variant in sample collected in October

We reported earlier that Nigeria had confirmed its first cases of the Omicron variant [see 6.15am] but Associated Press is carrying more detail here – including that the country has now said that one case dates back to October.

Genomic sequencing of positive cases of Covid-19 in Nigeria identified two cases of the omicron variant among travellers from South Africa, the Nigeria Center for Disease Control (CDC) said in a statement issued by its director general.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/dec/01/covid-news-live-who-advises-vulnerable-against-travel-over-omicron-greece-to-fine-those-over-60-who-refuse-vaccine?

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, the new variants should be called other names , more friendly names , like Foxy or Jolly or something .

  

Sleepy, Sneezy, Doc, Dopey, Grumpy, ??

Link to post
Share on other sites

BP Online are reporting that over 300 arrivals from Southern African countries last month have gone "missing". The Government wants these people to give themselves up and put themselves into 14 days quarantine. Presumably these invited guests have satisfied all Thailand Pass requirements and are free to roam wherever they wish in Thailand. They are now fugitives in the eyes of their panic stricken hosts.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Nope. Facts are already in. Stick with the better media outlets and you won't get fed misinformation. Claiming otherwise is ridiculous.

The better media outlets, can you give an example of who these are please? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...