No Omicron Cases In Thailand

webfact

Omicron is the Greek number for 15, as far as I can recall, they only had 12 variants before Omicron, now why on earth did they skip Nu (13), and of course Mu (14), that said, I wonder what will happen when they get to Xi, or Omega for that matter, Omega being the last letter in the Greek alphabet.

I suppose they could start using Greek slang, like STA or NAH.

Edited by metisdead
Trolling image removed.
  • Like 1

Thai doctors confirm no ‘Omicron’ strain detected yet but say it is highly transmissible

000_1PD64D.jpeg

Photo by Handout / US Food and Drug Administration / AFP

There has been no detection of the new COVID-19 Omicron mutation in Thailand yet, but experts say it spreads faster and more easily than the Beta and Delta strains, while symptoms can be quite mild, such as anosmia, and most antigen tests are able to detect infections, according to experts.

The new variant was first detected in South Africa late last week from a specimen collected on November 9th. The WHO then formally classified it as a new strain which is “of concern”, due to this variant’s large number of mutations. Preliminary evidence suggests an increased risk of reinfection with this variant, when compared to other strains, such as Delta or Beta.

Chief of the Department of Medical Sciences Dr. Supakit Sirilak explained in a phone interview with Thai PBS that “data from labs suggests that the new strain has an increased risk of causing infections and is able to evade the immune system. Therefore, looking at infected areas and primary data, it was found that the CT (Cycle Threshold) was quite low. This means that the infection is not hard to detect.”

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-doctors-confirm-new-covid-19-omicron-strain-is-highly-transmissible/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Omicron is the Greek number for 15, as far as I can recall, they only had 12 variants before Omicron, now why on earth did they skip Nu (13), and of course Mu (14), that said, I wonder what will happen when they get to Xi, or Omega for that matter, Omega being the last letter in the Greek alphabet.

According to the WHO they skipped Nu because it was too easy to confuse with "new" and Xi because it is a common surname and the guidelines are to avoid using the names of people or countries.

Mu (which comes before Nu, not after) was not skipped, it was already assigned to another variant detected in Colombia.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

According to the WHO they skipped Nu because it was too easy to confuse with "new" and Xi because it is a common surname and the guidelines are to avoid using the names of people or countries.

Mu (which comes before Nu, not after) was not skipped, it was already assigned to another variant detected in Colombia.

Makes sense to me, oh and yes typo on my part Mu and Nu thx.

Omicron poses very high global risk, world must prepare -WHO

GENEVA, Nov 29 (Reuters)

In anticipation of increased case numbers as the variant, first reported last week, spreads, the U.N. agency urged its 194 member states to accelerate vaccination of high-priority groups and ensure plans were in place to maintain health services.

“Omicron has an unprecedented number of spike mutations, some of which are concerning for their potential impact on the trajectory of the pandemic,” the WHO said.

“The overall global risk related to the new variant …is assessed as very high.”

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/omicron-poses-very-high-global-risk-world-must-prepare-who/

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I suppose they could start using Greek slang, like STA or NAH.

Moutza GIFs | Tenor

I found this on a Canadian News website. https://globalnews.ca/news/8407763/covid-19-omicron-name-greek-alphabet-explainer/
Many people had expected the agency to label the latest variant nu, which comes after mu, a variant designated on Aug. 30.

Instead, the WHO skipped over nu as well as xi, the next Greek letter in line — a move that many users on social media pointed out, while some questioned whether it was to avoid offending Chinese leader Xi Jinping.

In a statement provided to the AP, the WHO said it skipped nu for clarity and xi to avoid causing offense generally.

“`Nu’ is too easily confounded with `new,’ and `Xi’ was not used because it is a common last name,” the WHO said, adding that the agency’s “best practices for naming disease suggest avoiding `causing offence to any cultural, social, national, regional, professional or ethnic groups.”’

Those best practices were outlined in a May 2015 document issued by the agency. The organization said at the time that it wanted to “minimize unnecessary negative effects on nations, economies and people” when naming infectious diseases.

This is the first time the organization has skipped letters since it began using the Greek alphabet for coronavirus variants; it has previously used the alphabet to label 12 others. Alpha, beta, gamma and delta are all currently “variants of concern” like omicron. Lambda and mu are given the less serious “variant of interest” designation. Six other letters were assigned to former variants of interest.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dsj said:

In a statement provided to the AP, the WHO said it skipped nu for clarity and xi to avoid causing offense generally.

"To avoid causing offence generally", hmmm, well, millions dead, would have been nice if Xi owned up how his country slipping Covid 19 out as opposed to trying to cover it up, that said I would give the next variant the name STA for him, although it's not in the Greek alphabet.

Now to under stand that word you would have to raise your hands all the way up together, then bring them down to your privates quickly, its pretty much equal to the Italian salute, left hand to opposite elbow, bending right arm upwards, or hand under chin then flicking it outwards, however STA is much more offensive when you thrust your lower section forward as your hands reach their end destination, but then again, if I didn't want "to cause offence generally", I would put one hand out with the palm facing him at face level and then hitting the back of that hand with the other saying NAH, not wanting to make the name to long and confusing with NAH RE MALAHKA, or NATO (here it is)

Yes Greeks do it better ????

Edited by metisdead
Trolling image removed.
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

There has been no detection of the new COVID-19 Omicron mutation in Thailand yet, but experts say it spreads faster and more easily than the Beta and Delta strains, while symptoms can be quite mild, such as anosmia, and most antigen tests are able to detect infections, according to experts.

Are these Thai experts who are just saying what they've heard, or real experts who've studied the variant?

• Like 2

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/29/world/covid-omicron-variant-countries-list-cmd-intl/index.html

Australia: 2 cases
Austria: 1 case
Belgium: 1 case
Botswana: 19 cases
Canada: 3 cases
Czech Republic: 1 case
Denmark: 2 cases
Germany: 3 cases
Hong Kong: 3 cases
Israel: 1 case
Italy: 1 case
Netherlands: 13 cases