SURVEY: Omicron--Dangerous, Worrisome or Overblown?

Scott

SURVEY: Omicron--Dangerous, Worrisome or Overblown?  

250 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

SA data is political & unaccountable so Ignore.False Comparison with UK.

SA Population COMPLETELY Different Health Profile to UK :Covid - Vulnerable DNA, Widespread Poverty, Chronically Bad Health, Highly Unfit with Massive Underlying Conditions.????

We know mRNA Boosters raise Omicron Protection levels over 50%.????
From near Zero it seems with AZ primary vax.
Protection Improves further & substantially by being FIT.
Time is Up Now w/Omicron, for Abuser Unfit / Unvaxxed.
Self -Abusers with Obesity/ Alcoholism/Smoking / Drug problems have been on Notice to QUIT and get FIT since March 2020. Too Late Now.????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, fjb 24 said:

Too bad, BUT the reality is you just don't like the factual data, figures, charts, evidence, etc that goes against your ideology, that you really hate so much. I know this, it's human nature. Serious character flaw to be so full of hate.

"factual data, figures, charts, evidence"

????

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fjb 24 said:

Too bad, BUT the reality is you just don't like the factual data, figures, charts, evidence, etc that goes against your ideology, that you really hate so much. I know this, it's human nature. Serious character flaw to be so full of hate.

Indeed, but sadly the norm for some. You carry on, it’s refreshing to read different posts of view. Dont be put off by the usual negative responses. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today’s UK Covid update:

Government statistics show 147,261 people have now died, with 44 deaths reported in the latest 24-hour period. In total, 11,453,121 people have tested positive, up 91,743 in the latest 24-hour period. Latest figures show 7,482 people in hospital. In total, 51,498,034 people have received their first vaccination. Updated 20 Dec.

Short presentational grey line

New cases up around 1,700. 
New Deaths with Covid sharp fall to 44 along with a fall of 133 in hospital with Covid. 

Johnson called a cabinet meeting to discuss the situation. Summary of which from the BBC:

• As a result ministers have to "reserve the possibility of taking further action" to protect public health and the NHS - with a range of measures being considered and "nothing" ruled out
  • The PM acknowledged the impact of recent behavioural changes by some people - such as booking cancellations - on businesses including the hospitality industry - saying the economic impacts would be kept "under constant review"
  • He insisted a photo of a gathering in the Downing Street garden while the UK was under Covid restrictions last year, was of "people at work, talking about work" (lol)

He also said “it could not get more urgent”…………….so for now we will do nothing, so clearly not that urgent 

I think it’s called Political Paralysis, his own party are holding him to ransom and today  the “gathering” pics from last May where he held a “business” meeting with his wife, baby and others in the gardens of number 10 with wine, no social distancing and mixing of households…….despite a televised briefing by Hancock the same evening telling everyone not to. 

Another “do what I say not what I do” moment from the crippled, dysfunctional leaderless government  

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 2

Mommysboy thanks for that - that's 'superimmunity' where Covid is caught AFTER being double vaxed. Unfortunately, it seems Omicron can evade the immunity in those infected BEFORE and vaxed later.

I wonder if those reinfected in this way then get that 'superimmunity' second time around ? Who knows?

(The DM despite being widely regarded as a 'rag' seems to me one of the best MSM in publishing Covid details).

Edited by TorquayFan
tidy up

BKK Brian - thanks for that and it's 'encouraging' as you say.

Quite a few people follow (Dr) John Campbell - I only do so occasionally. But when JC reviewed the latest data from an RSA Hospital report recently, he concluded with words to the effect that as Omicron takes over, with symptoms less severe, it might prove to be the beginning of the end of the pandemic. Nice idea but at the time I thought he was being EXTREMELY optimistic. Interesting though.

Myself I don't understand how one variant can replace another - seems logical to me that a new variant would be additional ? Or is it only that if a new variant gobbles up all the victims first, there's none left for the others, (if you see what I mean).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TorquayFan said:

Quite a few people follow (Dr) John Campbell - I only do so occasionally. But when JC reviewed the latest data from an RSA Hospital report recently, he concluded with words to the effect that as Omicron takes over, with symptoms less severe, it might prove to be the beginning of the end of the pandemic. Nice idea but at the time I thought he was being EXTREMELY optimistic. Interesting though.

Myself I don't understand how one variant can replace another - seems logical to me that a new variant would be additional ? Or is it only that if a new variant gobbles up all the victims first, there's none left for the others, (if you see what I mean).

Yes I would also say he was being overly optimistic in that first video although he did backtrack in a later video and said numbers would rise to a million a day! I don't pay much attention to him to be honest, his explanations of studies can all be found before he announces them through the direct sources but he does provide a useful explanation as he see's it through his eyes.

Anyway I did forget to mention in my post the massive wall of immunity the UK has built through its vaccination process and that now seems to be paying off. So this may not bode well for countries that have still got a long way to go with vaccines?

Indications are that Omicron may kill off delta but there are also questions being raised that they may live together? 

Edited by Bkk Brian

25 minutes ago, i84teen said:

The omicron situation is waning in strength and has mild symptoms similar to the common cold.

1. New cases are dropping now in S Africa.
  2. Delta cases are surging across Europe, USA and other highly vaccinated countries
  3. Covid death rates in S Africa are lower than Thailand and a fraction of death rates in Europe, USA and many other highly vaccinated countries
  4. omicron infections are increasing dramatically in  NY and NJ where it accounts for 13% of covid cases in those states despite high vaccination rates.

Notes;

1. WHO advises caution: “Do not underestimate Omicron”

2. CDC officials said they do not yet have estimates of how many hospitalizations or deaths are due to omicron

3. UK reports 12 deaths on 12,133 omicron cases

4. U.S. records first death believed related to Omicron variant**

5. ** extensive searches reveal no know omicron deaths aside from one noted above

6. "Omicron cases are expected to peak in a matter of weeks...."

I am no expert, so I don't know how deadly omicron is or will become but at this time it's nowhere near as lethal as Delta (numbers speak for themselves) when considering the case fatality rate especially in S Africa and UK and only mild cold like symptoms and no severe illness's, infections, etc noted till date.

The lethality of the variant is only part of the equation.

How fast is it filling hospital beds and how does a person infected with Omicron know they don’t have delta (and therefore require to follow Delta protocols)?

But yes if it’s killing fewer, that is very good news.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

How fast is it filling hospital beds

I don't believe hospitals are filling up with omicron patients as of today's reports, neither are the morgues.

Use your common sense in protecting yourself against covid as you normally do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

Good question. 

There may be a pool of individuals liable to infection, ie people with a lot of daily contact with others, and if they are infected with Omicron first, they may have immunity against Delta. 

1 hour ago, i84teen said:

And why would it, S Africa is one of a only a few country's currently with omicron as the dominant variant, Botswana is close at 48%. I have checked and no countries are reporting sharp increases in hospitalizations yet, but somewhere I read that >70% of new infections in US now (Date Expl reports about 20%) are omicron variant but hospitals are not reporting increased hospitalizations that I can see. Very infections indeed, like an R1.5 or higher, but not associated with severe illness to speak of.

As for booster shots, there have been no clinical trials to assess its safety and efficacy anywhere in the world AFAIK.
We should first gather the clinical data of the third dose so that we can make out how safe and effective it is. Without proper studies, I would not take an untested booster vaccine. There is always the risk of Antibody-dependent Enhancement (ADE).

To each his own though.

I sincerely hope Omicron does not cause high numbers of hospitalizations, but there is currently insufficient data to say whether or not it does.

What we do know is highly contagious and those infected are unable to work during their illness, this alone is cause for concern.

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, i84teen said:

What studies are you referring to? Clinical trials? Have a link?

I believe the Phase 2/3  segments are ongoing and will be completed in 2023.

Boosters are the same formulation as the original vaccine, which is well tested.

if you are so worried about unknown substances in your body, why don’t you worry about the Covid virus? That has killed over 5 million people, so far. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, i84teen said:

What studies are you referring to? Clinical trials? Have a link?

I believe the Phase 2/3  segments are ongoing and will be completed in 2023.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/covid-19-booster-vaccines-are-they-safe-and-effective

and

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673621027173

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1