Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Thailand detects first case of Omicron variant

webfact

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well that is a bit of an oxymoron, but credibility must be demonstrated and earned.....and it takes time. Dr Fauci fits your criteria, who once claimed  we should not wear masks and asymptomatic people could not spread the virus..... 

You're taking Fauci's remarks out of context.  Do some research into this with quality media sites and you'll understand why he made that remark.  The dodgy sites blast him for this.

2 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

That does it.  Deport all Americans—for good measure..  Thailand doesn’t need their high-spending ways.  Open up to the safe Omicron-free countries.  

And what country doesn't have Omicron right now?  Right....

3 minutes ago, sungod said:

Initial Hospital Data in Omicron Epicenter Shows Milder Disease

'Too early to tell' but Initial data from a major hospital complex in South Africa’s omicron epicenter show that while Covid-19 case numbers have surged, patients need less medical intervention. 

Brought to you from MSM ..............

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-05/initial-hospital-data-in-omicron-epicenter-shows-milder-disease

WHO chief scientist: It's too early to conclude Omicron coronavirus variant leads to mild illness

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/omicron-covid-19-variant-12-03-21/h_e9abf186c472f8848be017cd63fb666e

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sungod said:

How about this one?

COVID-19: Most Omicron cases are 'mild' and there's no evidence to suggest vaccines may be less effective against the variant, says WHO official

Early indications suggest most Omicron coronavirus cases are "mild", an official at the World Health Organisation (WHO) has said.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-most-omicron-cases-are-mild-and-theres-no-evidence-to-suggest-vaccines-may-be-less-effective-against-the-variant-says-who-12483729

Jumping the gun a bit?    I believe in the headline there's a word: suggest

From that article:

Giving evidence at the government's science and technology committee on Wednesday, Professor Neil Ferguson, said it could be towards "the end of the month" before there is a clearer picture of how worrying Omicron is.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Yes it's early. They need more time to get more data, but early indications are what is currently known. This from 6 December.

Omicron Is Fast Moving, but Perhaps Less Severe, Early Reports Suggest

https://nyti.ms/31tasKm

From your article.  Jeez, you guys really jump the gun on this one.  Read the entire article, not just the headline.

but it is unclear whether that will hold true

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, sungod said:

I dont believe anyone is jumping the gun, by using the word 'suggest' it shows caution. Good to see a WHO official suggesting that most cases are mild though.

Too early to tell but initial  reports from Japanese experts are encouraging too,

'Omicron variant may tend to cause mild symptoms, Japan experts say'

Goes on to say ' According to the European Union’s European Center for Disease Prevention and Control, 109 cases of infection with the omicron variant had been found in 16 countries as of Friday, and all of the infected people showed mild or no symptoms, with no reports of death.'

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/12/05/national/omicron-mild-symptoms/

Lets hope it stays this way.

Suggest also means it might not be true.  I'm a former financial planner.  I plan for the worst, hope for the best.  Doing it the other way around can get you into big trouble.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sungod said:

Thanks for stating the obvious....

I mitigate risk, based on initial/current reports I'm in the dont panic camp. Actually overwhelming initial reports look good.

All initial reports say we just don't know enough.  Like, will the vaccine work?  Etc.

We do know it's more transmissible.  We do know it evades natural immunity.  We are seeing an incredible increase in cases and hospitalizations in SA.  Where it's now the dominant variant.  I'd say these reports don't look good.  It may not be as deadly, but if cases rise, so do hospitalizations and deaths.

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

All initial reports say we just don't know enough.  Like, will the vaccine work?  Etc.

We do know it's more transmissible.  We do know it evades natural immunity.  We are seeing an incredible increase in cases and hospitalizations in SA.  Where it's now the dominant variant.  I'd say these reports don't look good.  It may not be as deadly, but if cases rise, so do hospitalizations and deaths.

I'm surprised you have not heard, all the experts out there are saying current vaccine should prevent serious illness and death.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Hope and optimism is what I heard back in January of 2020.  Look where we are now.  Most experts are saying this is serious and none are saying it may well mean an end.  None.  I'd rather think things will be bad and they turn out better, than have sunshine blown up my bum only to find out things are bad.  Get it?

Thanks for the personal attack. 

Grumpy old pessimist is not exactly a personal attack. Calm down, the sun is shining again, it's still Thailand, on here we've all got a roof over our heads, money in our pockets and more. Last night I... well never mind, tonight I'm going for a drink, tomorrow I'll probably do the same as last night. A lot of people are worse off than us. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sungod said:

I'm surprised you have not heard, all the experts out there are saying current vaccine should prevent serious illness and death.

I have.  That's great news!  But it's not 100% known yet.  Especially how effective it will be.  Either way, it's going to provide protection.  Sadly, many are not vaccinated.  So this virus will spread rather quickly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rott said:

Grumpy old pessimist is not exactly a personal attack. Calm down, the sun is shining again, it's still Thailand, on here we've all got a roof over our heads, money in our pockets and more. Last night I... well never mind, tonight I'm going for a drink, tomorrow I'll probably do the same as last night. A lot of people are worse off than us. 

The only one attacking is the Jeffr2 guy.  

He had the audacity to insinuate that i was some kind of denier, LMAO!!!  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blumpie said:

The only one attacking is the Jeffr2 guy.  

He had the audacity to insinuate that i was some kind of denier, LMAO!!!  

A balanced reaction to this new variant is best.  I'm not optimistic nor pessimistic.  But do tend to lean towards pessimism because I'm a traveler and this is going to have a huge impact on my life with all the lockdowns happening, or potentially happening.  It's going to spread fast, that much we know.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/12/06/world/omicron-variant-covid#early-reports-suggest-omicron-is-fast-moving-but-perhaps-less-severe

Early reports suggest Omicron is fast moving but perhaps less severe.

But scientists cautioned against placing too much stock in either the potential good news of less severity, or bad news like early evidence that prior coronavirus infection offers little immunity to Omicron. The variant was discovered just last month, and more study is needed before experts can say much about it with confidence.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Jumping the gun a bit?    I believe in the headline there's a word: suggest

From that article:

Giving evidence at the government's science and technology committee on Wednesday, Professor Neil Ferguson, said it could be towards "the end of the month" before there is a clearer picture of how worrying Omicron is.

Neil Ferguson is wrong about literally everything.   This is the same guy that predicted 200 million (yes million) deaths from bird flu when there were actually 282.   

• Like 2