Thailand detects first case of Omicron variant

webfact

22 hours ago, webfact said:

The case was discovered in a male US citizen who had travelled to Thailand from Spain at the end November.

It has been reported elsewhere, that this Male US citizen is actually of Thai birth.

Therefore if he traveled on his Thai Passport to forego all the crud needed for entry into the Country, he maybe did not even get tested as would he have been so on his US Passport.

Assuming he will have both passports as a dual citizen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cake Monster said:

It has been reported elsewhere, that this Male US citizen is actually of Thai birth.

Therefore if he traveled on his Thai Passport to forego all the crud needed for entry into the Country, he maybe did not even get tested as would he have been so on his US Passport.

I do believe everyone is required to do a PCR test.  We just came in from Portugal and my Thai wife had to do this.

5 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

I though that Thai Citizens were exempt from these tests.

Or maybe i,m out of touch a little

Not to mention, some airlines require it.  Even some countries require it for just transits!

Crazy times.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

That's looking more likely as the data comes out of SA, Omicron days in hospitals average 2.8, Delta 8.6 you can Google the papers freely available, they are hopeful that this might be the end of the pandemic, fingers crossed little O might be a Xmas present. 

yes I am aware of that and as I said previously "early data suggests" but there are those on here that just seem to spend time picking holes in what other people say instead of going and checking for themselves - sad really 

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

you really don't want to let this go do you - people have clearly stated that early data indicates ........................ that is what we have to go on right now, constantly reminding us of that doesn't further the conversation 

What I see are people saying this is mild and an Xmas present.  Some are saying it's a possibility.  But none are saying it's a guarantee.  Sorry, hate to see misinformation posted. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, smedly said:

I have not read any evidence of that on this forum, I have read people (including myself) saying that early data is showing ......................................... there is no argument against that - you seem to think there is as every one of your posts shows - time to drop it and move on - you have made your invalid point many times it's a boring repetative read

What's invalid?

7 minutes ago, Macrohistory said:

???? Not gonna drop the topic when conspiracy theorists are continuing to spew Covid-denying nonsense fantasies.

read my above post - consider yourself ignored, I do have another name for it

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

It has been stated he had a negative PCR before boarding.

Even Thais have to have this to get in through Thailand Pass.

This incident helps explain why the continued requirement fora PCR test after arrival, even for those vaccinated and with negative test before boarding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Just confirms that a fully innoculated traveller can bring the virus into the country. Vaccination only protects the recipient so GET VACCINATED!

Doesnt getting the Covid vaccination mean that you cannot contract the virus .

That is what I have been told 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It has been stated he had a negative PCR before boarding.

Even Thais have to have this to get in through Thailand Pass.

This incident helps explain why the continued requirement fora PCR test after arrival, even for those vaccinated and with negative test before boarding.

Thanks for the clarification Sheryl

On 12/6/2021 at 7:40 PM, Stubby said:

Wow! I see people walking around Big C and everywhere else all the time. But without stopping them and... ahem... asking to see their papers, I have no idea who they are or where in the world they come from. But umm... well spotted, well-observed, I suppose. We should all perhaps be a tad nosier vigilant of the people around us when out and about.

You never know when it might come in handy ????

Mate come on lol you know exactly what I mean.  I saw two Americans within 10 mins of each other in Big C maskless.  I know one of them was American, as I have seen him out and about in the boozers over the years.  Another one I heard speaking to his mrs and I picked up the accent.  I wasn't following them around with a magnifying glass like some half arsed bumbling detective, they just happened to be around me and I saw & heard them - once when I was buying a jar of overpriced tasteless pesto, and once when I was looking for car wax lol.  Both American, both maskless, just a simple fact. 

I live in a moo baan that has around a dozen ferangs from different corners of the world.  When I am out and about walking the dog, I cross paths with some of them and have a quick chat about football, music, Thailand stuff, whatever.... Apart from the three Americans who always bore the brains off me, banging on about pandemic related conspiracy theories.  That's all they talk about, ever, and it does my nut in.

Obviously that does not mean every single American is an anti-masker, but lets be honest there seem to be a larger percentage of Americans making a fuss over not wearing a mask.  My next door neighbor who is an absolute barn-pot (crazy, in other words) also refuses to wear a mask to the extent that he hasn't been inside a 7/11 for 20 months.  He also believes that Queen Elizabeth is the head of a pedophile ring which includes, amongst many others, Hunter Biden as one of the chief kiddy fiddlers, so his opinion on the reasoning for not wearing a mask is of little value to me.  Because he is a mental person.  

Nothing personal of course.  I dont have anything against Americans.  I will say however that many of the stereotypes applied to them do seem to be true in my view, and I always struggle for banter with them, so if I am having a pint somewhere and there is an American around I will usually bury my head in my phone, and act too busy to strike up a chat.

On 12/7/2021 at 1:06 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Doesnt getting the Covid vaccination mean that you cannot contract the virus .

That is what I have been told 

Vaccination is up to 90% effective in preventing infection.

Initial data indicates that vaccination is less effective in stopping  Omicron infection, but protects against symptoms.

On 12/6/2021 at 12:29 PM, Macrohistory said:

Since he's an American, you have to seriously wonder whether he's been wearing masks and social-distancing.  I fear not.

Yo Macro dude.. I am an American and I always wear a mask when out and around... as do all of the other Americans I know... As to the History portion - it shows the propaganda and prejudice rarely works out too well in the long run...

What hate filled place are you from and how is your MacroHistory? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Batty said:

Mate come on lol you know exactly what I mean.  I saw two Americans within 10 mins of each other in Big C maskless.  I know one of them was American, as I have seen him out and about in the boozers over the years.  Another one I heard speaking to his mrs and I picked up the accent.  I wasn't following them around with a magnifying glass like some half arsed bumbling detective, they just happened to be around me and I saw & heard them - once when I was buying a jar of overpriced tasteless pesto, and once when I was looking for car wax lol.  Both American, both maskless, just a simple fact. 

I live in a moo baan that has around a dozen ferangs from different corners of the world.  When I am out and about walking the dog, I cross paths with some of them and have a quick chat about football, music, Thailand stuff, whatever.... Apart from the three Americans who always bore the brains off me, banging on about pandemic related conspiracy theories.  That's all they talk about, ever, and it does my nut in.

Obviously that does not mean every single American is an anti-masker, but lets be honest there seem to be a larger percentage of Americans making a fuss over not wearing a mask.  My next door neighbor who is an absolute barn-pot (crazy, in other words) also refuses to wear a mask to the extent that he hasn't been inside a 7/11 for 20 months.  He also believes that Queen Elizabeth is the head of a pedophile ring which includes, amongst many others, Hunter Biden as one of the chief kiddy fiddlers, so his opinion on the reasoning for not wearing a mask is of little value to me.  Because he is a mental person.  

Nothing personal of course.  I dont have anything against Americans.  I will say however that many of the stereotypes applied to them do seem to be true in my view, and I always struggle for banter with them, so if I am having a pint somewhere and there is an American around I will usually bury my head in my phone, and act too busy to strike up a chat.

I do the mask thing in public.  And I hold no grudges against non-Americans.  In fact, among those I know, we have become pretty good friends.  When you spend time in Isaan with the language barrier—you tend to try a little harder.