Thailand detects first case of Omicron variant

webfact

Ha ha ha, if, if, if this variant is as silly as it seems - the common cold  - you will wish that you get omricron rather than delta.  

Of course nobody knows yet for sure.  

I was reading that in the UK 1 in 3-4 cases of "the common cold" is actually COVID.  That was on the BBC news, not some quacky website.  

Well ok, a somewhat quacky website.  Oh the wine, it talks!  

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

But, if you read the fine print, they are not sure if the severe cases are Omicron.

Do you know what an omicron denier is?  This is something new for me.  

I can't understand hysteria.  It's a strange language, therefore I don't want to ask the original poster.  

If this is going the way of becoming a milder infection then at some point the world will have to stop counting every case and treating the infected like a lepper. The uk gets a lot of stick for how we handled it, but with the majority vaccinated we have just got on with life and accepted it might get us (like all infectious diseases). Hopefully this is the last year of restriction until the next pandemic.

• Like 2

A post containing content that was copy and pasted from some site without a supporting link has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

This is normal according to medical modeling. This variant looks like it's more transmissible but more mild. The endgame to all this is a flu-style infection, and it will take its place among the other coronaviruses that are out there and infecting everyone all the time, that no-one cares about. MSM have done a disservice to all by scaring the living brown stuff out of everyone and there are so many sheeple that believe the nonsense. Get double jabbed and then take your chances like you did with the other jabs when you were young. Far too much drama-rama going on now.

MSM isn't to blame for anything. The steeple are the ones blaming MSM.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KaputtAlreadyNa said:

No only the Americas, those that feels that they are superior to the others too.

Warmest

millions of them go to football stadiums every weekend for the last 13 weeks no masks shoulder to shoulder Screaming her lungs out they must be the ones  not hiding under the bed  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Macrohistory said:

Since he's an American, you have to seriously wonder whether he's been wearing masks and social-distancing.  I fear not.

They value the value of freedom more than other countries, due to all the wars they've been in. I think Trump was the only president not wanting to start a war. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Ha ha ha, if, if, if this variant is as silly as it seems - the common cold  - you will wish that you get omricron rather than delta.  

Of course nobody knows yet for sure.  

I was reading that in the UK 1 in 3-4 cases of "the common cold" is actually COVID.  That was on the BBC news, not some quacky website.  

Well ok, a somewhat quacky website.  Oh the wine, it talks!  

BBC website ?

News today that it may have picked up a common cold gene in the mutation looks good, but we will know more in the next few weeks.

I think we all knew it had already spread and would only be a matter of time before it popped up in Thailand. Judging from how they handle things I'm guessing lockdowns again soon. 

Thailand’s first Omicron case in hospital for observation, no symptoms yet

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAivXYmbGPN5TNpggKSIQSLtx7x003G8OhWJb6zEL.jpg.a87b12566adf39baa6373062d7d54450.jpg

The asymptomatic American businessman, who was confirmed as Thailand’s first case of a COVID-19 Omicron variant infection on his arrival from Spain, is currently under observation in hospital, said Dr. Opart Karnkawinpong, director-general of Disease Control Department, today (Monday).

He said that the 35-year old man has lived in Spain for about a year and left for Dubai on November 29th, where he stopped over for nine hours before flying to Thailand the following day.

During the stopover in Dubai, he wore a face mask all the time and did not talk with anyone. After arrival at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi international airport at about midnight, he was driven to a hospital, where he was given a swab test, and he then proceeded to his hotel under the “Test and Go” program.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-first-omicron-case-in-hospital-for-observation-no-symptoms-yet/

Logo-top-.png
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Thailand can do gene sequencing on positive PCRs  and is able therefore to identify Omicron.

I don't know how many countries that use them, but here in Denmark they are using a variant-PCR test that is so accurate to detect omicron that it counts as an omicron case if detected with that PCR test.

That is way faster than sequencing it.

Apparently it's developed by the danish national serum institute, but i would guess a lot more countries are using some sort of the same technique.

They still sequence it to make sure if it's a mutated omicron or just the "standard" type.

The numbers of omicron went from 18 to approx 250 in 3 days here, and more to come the next couple of days.

So it's spreading pretty fast.

Which could be a good thing or a bad thing.

Time will tell.

Let's hope it's the mutation that will put an end to this pandemic, so we can start living our normal lives again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

That's looking more likely as the data comes out of SA, Omicron days in hospitals average 2.8, Delta 8.6 you can Google the papers freely available, they are hopeful that this might be the end of the pandemic, fingers crossed little O might be a Xmas present. 

Too early to tell, but with the rise in cases and hospitalizations in SA, and the dramatic rise in Europe of Omicron, I would hardly say this is an Xmas present.  SA's don't seem very happy.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/06/africa/south-africa-omicron-covid-surge-intl/index.html

South Africans brace for the worst amid Omicron surge

On Friday, it surpassed the 3 million Covid-19 case mark as infections soar throughout the country, days after health officials warned the world about the potentially more contagious Omicron variant. It is now dominating daily infections which have increased five-fold in just one week, President Cyril Ramaphosa said Monday in his weekly newsletter, adding that nearly a quarter of all Covid-19 tests were coming back positive.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

He does have a PhD, so actually he is in the strict sense. 

We are being told what to do by many who probably have honours degrees from Cambridge or Oxford in English Literature or Greek Poetry, currently working as Politicians or Journalists.  Difficult to find good sources that bring it down to a level generally grasped by most....

I think he does a good job of that.

Dare I say we have been told some superb tripe by politicians over the last 2 years, Doctors too, of the MD variety.

I do like his videos, but some are taking his comments out of context.  I prefer to get my info from virologists.  Real docs and scientists, not retired nurses.  I ignore politicians as they have a vested interest.  And I've yet to hear tripe from credible docs.  Ones on YouTube tend to spew the tripe. LOL

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

And I've yet to hear tripe from credible docs.

Well that is a bit of an oxymoron, but credibility must be demonstrated and earned.....and it takes time. Dr Fauci fits your criteria, who once claimed  we should not wear masks and asymptomatic people could not spread the virus..... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1