Thailand detects first case of Omicron variant

webfact

AseanNow_BreakingNews_red_1200x630.png

Thailand has detected its case of the Omicron COVID-19 variant, health officials said on Monday.

The case was discovered in a male US citizen who had travelled to Thailand from Spain at the end November.

The case is still awaiting the result of a second RT-PCR test, Dr Supakit Sirilak, chief of Thailand’s Medical Science Department told press on Monday.

Dr Supakit urged the public not to panic in relation to the discovery of the Omicron variant in a person in Thailand.

This is a developing news story. This post may be updated without warning.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-12-06

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, smedly said:

recent early data suggest that this variant could end the pandemic 

AFAIK, only one CEO of a private healthcare network, has put forward this hypothesis (twice). So far, only one other person, an immunologist, is publicly sharing his 'cautious optimism'.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

From my understanding this variant was announced only recently in  RSA.

The poor chap arrived in November, I  supposed he had been tested and quarantined as well upon arrival in Thailand. 

I therefore can only suspect he has been infected in Thailand only. Maybe I am wrong.????

The OP says he arrived "end of November".