Thailand detects first case of Omicron variant

webfact

25 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

He did say "could end the pandemic", not will end it. There's a big difference.

Yes, but many are saying he indicated the pandemic would end.  I see these posts all over thaivisa.  And they aren't reporting the full statement.

3 hours ago, stigar said:

I read in pattayaone this morning that CCSA said the migth be a new lockdown if this virus is deceted in thailand.If so im happy i didnt book my fligth before march next year.

I canceled mine on Saturday.????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Youtube does give us alternative information that are sometimes truer than the mainstream media like CNN or BBC.

Mainstream media on the other hand might give us misleading information so that certain parties benefit.

It's good to see other people's point of view, isn't that what democracy is all about?

Ridiculous. Bashing MSM over Youtube as a credible source for your news is bizarre.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

37 minutes ago, racket said:

Cool! We will soon be speaking Greek after all Covid variants have occupied the whole Greek alphabet. I guess alphabet is Greek to. Jeez! 

Considering it's older than Latin or the Chinese language I find it quite easy to identify a variant with and pronounce it, would you prefer the Thai alphabet or something closer to home, because if your having trouble with it, perhaps it's time for you to go back to school ?

Seriously, how can we not think that it is already here and growing. The system as it is has so many variables to positive passengers to fall through the net. Thailand had to make a sacrifice and I am sure they know that a PCR 72hrs before travel and a PCR immediately when you arrive is not full proof.

Pretty sure it is here and is spreading since mid November probably. The positive thing is there hasn't been a single death yet directly linked to the Omicron and therefore we can assume that our new friend has opted to be become more infectious and left severe. As someone quite rightly posted early on, viruses main aim is to survive.

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Your delusional, I know your type, I give up, just from one link, read and weep, on that, I rest my case that Dr Fauci is a liar.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/10/29/repeated-claim-that-fauci-lied-congress-about-gain-of-function-research/

You should read this article very closely.

But we see no reason to change the Two Pinocchio rating we awarded Paul. There is a split in the scientific community about what constitutes gain-of-function research. To this day, NIH says this research did not meet the criteria — a stance that is not an outlier in the scientific community. Indeed, it appears as if EcoHealth halted the experiment as soon as it seemed to veer in that direction.

Meanwhile, Cotton and Cruz are spinning the letter as confirming what it does not say. They are welcome to offer an opinion about its meaning. But, so far, it’s not a fact that NIH has admitted funding gain-of-function research. So they also earn Two Pinocchios.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

Seriously, how can we not think that it is already here and growing. The system as it is has so many variables to positive passengers to fall through the net. Thailand had to make a sacrifice and I am sure they know that a PCR 72hrs before travel and a PCR immediately when you arrive is not full proof.

Pretty sure it is here and is spreading since mid November probably. The positive thing is there hasn't been a single death yet directly linked to the Omicron and therefore we can assume that our new friend has opted to be become more infectious and left severe. As someone quite rightly posted early on, viruses main aim is to survive.

Personally I don't think its out in the community yet in Thailand. Even with the dismal testing rates here we would still get signals of clusters and there has been none so far. Of course its just a matter of time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rabas said:

Thailand did well with their 14 day quarantine, which let in no new variants. New variants all came across land borders.  The first Omicron case is reported to have had close contact with 15 hotel staff.

Now that Omicron is in, I worry about PCR testing capacity, which they made no attempt to improve through out the whole Delta wave.

3X Delta R0 is going to rip if it ever hits Bangkok.  Glad I go Wednesday for a big old 100µg Moderna booster.  (there it is again!  µ micron)

What was your first vaccines?

4 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

What was your first vaccines?

Two AZ with 12 week gap in between, so I'm premature for a booster, but, it's there and Omicron is here... What to do?

Edited by rabas
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SymS said:

Social distancing may take a whole new meaning with Omicron. Two people staying in a Hong Kong quarantine hotel in separate rooms contracted the Omicron variant. They never left their room (as per CCTV recordings), nor had in contact at anytime, so they suspect it happened during food deliveries.
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/omicrons-spread-across-hotel-hall-in-hong-kong-highlights-transmission-worry

I say let's make it 20 meters! ????

That happened on the Diamond Princess, as well.

Sorry, Omicron-is-serious deniers:

New Zealand Herald

Covid 19 Omicron outbreak: Children hospitalised with 'moderate to severe' symptoms
6 Dec, 2021 04:15 AM

A South African doctor has warned that more children are being hospitalised with moderate to severe symptoms since the Omicron variant of the coronavirus took hold.

Dr Rudo Mathivha, head of Intensive Care at Chris Hani Baragwanath hospital, said the shift in demographics is very worrying as the number of sick patients presenting to hospitals has increased exponentially...

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/covid-19-omicron-outbreak-children-hospitalised-with-moderate-to-severe-symptoms/QCNS4VJU3H2WEN3UOJU5PEZXYM/

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Macrohistory said:

Sorry, Omicron-is-serious deniers:

New Zealand Herald

Covid 19 Omicron outbreak: Children hospitalised with 'moderate to severe' symptoms
6 Dec, 2021 04:15 AM

A South African doctor has warned that more children are being hospitalised with moderate to severe symptoms since the Omicron variant of the coronavirus took hold.

Dr Rudo Mathivha, head of Intensive Care at Chris Hani Baragwanath hospital, said the shift in demographics is very worrying as the number of sick patients presenting to hospitals has increased exponentially...

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/covid-19-omicron-outbreak-children-hospitalised-with-moderate-to-severe-symptoms/QCNS4VJU3H2WEN3UOJU5PEZXYM/

But, if you read the fine print, they are not sure if the severe cases are Omicron.

• Thanks 2