Thailand detects first case of Omicron variant

webfact

10 minutes ago, farangman said:

A report which cannot be quoted here, says that he was a Thai person, aged 35 with US citizenship who had been living in Spain for the past year.

Check the front page on the B Post website.

Correct.  A Thai businessman, also a US citizen.  He tested positive on arrival and is in quarantine.

51 minutes ago, tonysilly said:

Because I'm america we have freedom.  Does not say if he was living in Spain or not!! Don't know if They have real freedom in Spain.  Im sure you will be social distancing in Boys town tonight in pattaya. 

The 35-year old man has lived in Spain for about a year and left for Dubai on November 29th, where he stopped over for nine hours before flying to Thailand the following day.

During the stopover in Dubai, he wore a face mask all the time and did not talk with anyone. After arrival at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi international airport at about midnight, he was driven to a hospital, where he was given a swab test, and he then proceeded to his hotel under the “Test and Go” program.

Dr. Apart said the test result on December 1st showed a COVID-19 infection and samples were sent to the Medical Sciences Department for additional tests, which were positive for the Omicron variant when the results were retuned two days later.

He also said that the American has not been infected by COVID-19 before and has not been in close contact with any other passengers.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-first-omicron-case-in-hospital-for-observation-no-symptoms-yet/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bubba said:

The 35-year old man has lived in Spain for about a year and left for Dubai on November 29th, where he stopped over for nine hours before flying to Thailand the following day.

During the stopover in Dubai, he wore a face mask all the time and did not talk with anyone. After arrival at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi international airport at about midnight, he was driven to a hospital, where he was given a swab test, and he then proceeded to his hotel under the “Test and Go” program.

Dr. Apart said the test result on December 1st showed a COVID-19 infection and samples were sent to the Medical Sciences Department for additional tests, which were positive for the Omicron variant when the results were retuned two days later.

He also said that the American has not been infected by COVID-19 before and has not been in close contact with any other passengers.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-first-omicron-case-in-hospital-for-observation-no-symptoms-yet/

I just came in with Emirates and the plane was packed!  But interesting he got infected in Spain.  Not good.  This virus seems to be spreading rapidly.

I live in Asoke.  Lately I have seen more westerners walking around.  A number of them not wearing masks.  But I guess some people can miraculously distinguish an American just by visual contact.  

• Like 1

A post with a link to youtube has been removed:

18) Social Media content is acceptable in most social forums. However, in factual areas such as news, current affairs and health topics, it cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or government agency, and must include a weblink to the original source.

3 hours ago, Macrohistory said:

Since he's an American, you have to seriously wonder whether he's been wearing masks and social-distancing.  I fear not.

It all depends on where in the States he has come from and his vaccination history. I just returned from a diving trip where I met a real tourist , from Spain. And she said they was much masking in Spain.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

You are right, but what I can't believe is some people don't want this virus to end and the Omicron could end it. At least make it into a virus that won't kill us.

Everybody wants this virus to end just that some people are more cautious on those early reports than others. Nothing wrong with that. No hysteria going on in Thailand.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Dr Supakit urged the public not to panic in relation to the discovery of the Omicron variant in a person in Thailand.

I won't panic because Prayut said he will stop it before it reaches Thailand's shores, just like he said he had it 110% under control just before last Songkran.

Vote 1 for Prayut, to get out !

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I won't panic because Prayut said he will stop it before it reaches Thailand's shores, just like he said he had it 110% under control just before last Songkran.

Vote 1 for Prayut, to get out !

And no flooding this year ... if Prayuth says something it is true..... ( in his mind )

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

I take it you get all your information from main steam media then, wake up, YouTube has some incredible highly qualified professionals who call a spade a spade without creating fear which is what main stream media is doing.

Motive on you tube is money , I personally do not trust what i hear on You Tube . Plenty of good media around that can get you to the facts of most situations in the world 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, itsari said:

I take it you are living in the clouds .

I am not cherry picking i am simply stating that You Tube is not the avenue to go down to get the facts .

The media is broad . Nobody in the free world can be chastised for what they read or listen too . 

How about twitter?

Thailand finds Omicron variant of coronavirus in American traveller from Spain

75fad846199d886163cf6b66b5b7c37b_small.PNG

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Ministry of Public Health has announced finding Thailand’s first case of the Omicron coronavirus variant in an American who had traveled from Spain. The patient currently displays almost no symptoms and is under the close supervision of officials.

Department of Disease Control (DDC) Director-General Opas Karnkawinpong disclosed that the American man had been living in Spain for one year and worked as a businessperson. He had been fully inoculated via the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine and his pre-departure RT-PCR test did not produce a positive result prior to him entering Thailand on November 29. The on-arrival RT-PCR test issued in accordance with Thailand’s Test & Go entry pathway produces a positive result that was confirmed on December 1. Lab tests pointed to a 99.92% probability of the Covid strain present in the patient to be the Omicron variant.

Dr. Opas said a re-test will be conducted in order for authorities to be 100% certain about the infection being of the Omicron variant. He added that the patient displayed almost no symptoms and had been very diligent in observing public health precautions. Authorities have deemed there were no individuals who had high-risk exposure to the patient.

Addressing rumors of current COVID-19 vaccines being ineffective against the Omicron variant, Dr. Opas asserted that vaccines are still effective, and will reduce the severity of symptoms and the number of deaths from Covid.

nnt.jpg

57 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

You are right, but what I can't believe is some people don't want this virus to end and the Omicron could end it. At least make it into a virus that won't kill us.

I've not seen anyone post here they don't want this virus to end.  Just trolling on your part.  And I've not seen any expert say this virus is mutating into something that won't kill us.  Other than some dodgy youtube videos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, smedly said:

Try this - how many of those admitted to hospital in SA were admitted for covid and how many of those actaully required treatment specific to covid when it was was discovered they were infected through a manadatory test - the data is not as clear as you are making out 

They are almost all covid related.  And 75%+ Omicron. 

• Thanks 1