Thai Covid-19 vaccine to be adjusted to better fight against Omicron

webfact

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Pointless carrying on with the original formula if this Omicron is predicted by all experts to be the dominant variant. The same goes for the other mnra vaccines they are developing. 

Results in the UK have now been released on the Vaccine effectiveness from symptomatic infection with Omicron and its not good, zero for AZ and 30% for Pfizer.

VACCINE EFFECTIVENESS (symptomatic infection) *caveat: early estimates* Real-world surveillance data shows a significant reduction in VE for Omicron vs Delta * 2x AZ, VE is ZERO * 2x Pfizer, VE is ~30% BUT! Boosters increase VE to 70-75% (Pfizer, in the 1st month)

It is too early to measure protection against severe disease, but with earlier variants protection against hospitalisation & death has been largely preserved. All hoping this holds true

Not that I believe anything on Twitter but you have even chosen to select an alarmist extract from an unnatributed tweet.

Protection against Omicron SYMPTOMS from AZ is not zero and neither is it 30pc from Pfizer. No vaccine protects from infection. They just reduce the risk of hospitalization and both vaccines do that against Omicron.

Nevertheless boosters after 3 and 6 mths top up effectiveness against Omicron SYMPTOMS to the same level as Delta

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

OK. I apologise....BUT.... this link also states: " *caveat: early estimates* "

LHTXisjV_normal.jpeg

Of course, don't all reports have caveats. Same as they said its too early to predict what effect this has on protection from serious disease or death but they are hopefull

7 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Pointless carrying on with the original formula if this Omicron is predicted by all experts to be the dominant variant. The same goes for the other mnra vaccines they are developing. 

Results in the UK have now been released on the Vaccine effectiveness from symptomatic infection with Omicron and its not good, zero for AZ and 30% for Pfizer.

VACCINE EFFECTIVENESS (symptomatic infection) *caveat: early estimates* Real-world surveillance data shows a significant reduction in VE for Omicron vs Delta * 2x AZ, VE is ZERO * 2x Pfizer, VE is ~30% BUT! Boosters increase VE to 70-75% (Pfizer, in the 1st month)

It is too early to measure protection against severe disease, but with earlier variants protection against hospitalisation & death has been largely preserved. All hoping this holds true

I think the latest research suggests that 2 shots aren't that effective but after a 3rd it works much better. 

I'm using my phone right now but once I get on my laptop I'll try to find a link. 

Now I've looked again I think others may have already mentored this. 

Edited by kimamey
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, kimamey said:

I think the latest research suggests that 2 shots aren't that effective but after a 3rd it works much better. 

I'm using my phone right now but once I get on my laptop I'll try to find a link. 

Now I've looked again I think others may have already mentored this. 

Yes sure thats correct and has been demonstrated with plenty of studies but never with Omicron, although the report confirmed, taking a third Pfizer shot brings immunity levels back up to 75% in the first month, after a month its not known yet as more time needed with Omicron. However they did not mention the percentage for AZ.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes sure thats correct and has been demonstrated with plenty of studies but never with Omicron, although the report confirmed, taking a third Pfizer shot brings immunity levels back up to 75% in the first month, after a month its not known yet as more time needed with Omicron. However they did not mention the percentage for AZ.

I was looking at this which does reference Omicron but you're right that it's still early days with this variant.

4https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/10/two-jabs-give-less-protection-against-catching-omicron-than-delta-uk-data-shows

There's also this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59619224

9 hours ago, nausea said:

Some are calling Omicron a live vaccine, because of its apparent mild effects. That would be bad news for pharma and control freaks. It's all anecdotal so far though. Time will tell, I suppose.

There's more to a virus than just how deadly it is.

Ebola, SARS ect were far more deadly but didn't cause the problems that Covid has because they didn't spread as easily. It looks as if Omicron might not be so likely to cause death or hospitalisation but it does transmit more easily so in the end it may cause more admissions to hospital. That could overwhelm hospitals and bring about delays in other life saving treatment which could lead to deaths that aren't directly due to Covid.