Thailand road carnage continues: 12,000 dead this year so far

webfact

37 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

A junta based government is not going to do anything to address the deaths of people that would most likely vote against them in any election. If 40 generals died on the roads a day, ot would be addressed tomorrow

How on earth do you arrive at the people that die on the roads in Thailand would not vote for the present government ?

I appreciate that 80 percent of the road deaths are motorcycle users . 

So all motorcycle users would not vote for the present government in your opinion?

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

well the fact 80% are on motorbikes is an indication of poverty based deaths in my opinion, the poor are not voting for hiso generals are they ? least not the sane ones outside institutions !

I understand  the way you are thinking concerning the motorbike users . However i am a long way from agreeing with you . Your assumptions on wealth are way off .

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

We have not even gotten to the next 7 deadly days from before Christmas to New Years.  Looking sad as always.  No enforcement of any kind and even drinking and driving not a concern.  If they wanted to save the population they would ensure everyone understood the laws, obeyed them or where punished appropriately.  This is Thailand and people can not afford to be fined, miss work, and could care less if they drive the wrong way or even on sidewalks.  There is and has never been a culture where Drivers Education is enforced for all types of vehicles.

A country where you can accumulate 3 DUI's and still have 10 points spare.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Went to the cinema a couple of weeks ago and there was a fairly graphic road safety film involving a motorbike urging safe riding etc. Next up was an advert/sponsorship by a vehicle manufactuer of speeding trucks driving insanely. Stark contradiction. Which one will get noticed more?

• Like 1

This is a cultural thing. Thais are generally polite, respectful and restrained but turn into some other being as soon as they take control of something with a throttle. Selfish and aggressive without respect for other participants in traffic and just thinking about the quickest way to get somewhere regardless. Unless there is a change of mentality I don't see anything happening in traffic safety. It begins with educating children, so it will take 2-3 generations if anything is to change.

• Like 1